• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which one to choose: passive 2.2 system OR active full range floorstanders?

which one would you prefer?

• passive 2.2 (bookshelf + subs) system

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • active full range floorstanding speakers

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

bamhamer

Hello forum members,

I have a tough decision to make.

I need to decide if I want to choose a

-traditional passive system consisting of 2 Focal Sopra 1 bookshelf speakers combined with 2 subwoofers (most likely 2 Elac sub 2070 closed cabinet push-push/pull-pull subs)

-or a pair of active Dynaudio Focus 60 XD floorstanding speakers.

I have a hard time to decide. what do you think would be the better choice and why?
Which one is going to be most likely the superior / better sounding system?

would be thankful for every input that could help me make the right decision here.

thanks,
Ben

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have always been a fan of active systems. There is less harmful interaction among the drivers and they are more tweak able.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Active 2.2 :)

OP
B

bamhamer

Active 2.2 :)

this is a little bit out of my price range but assuming i would go with the focus 600 xd PLUS 2 subs it would be the best choice i guess.
But this would mean I would have to connect the actives to pre outs to include a pair of subs, or?

May I ask why you're limited to these two choices of speakers in particular?

Because I have VERY good offers for a pair of each of them.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$10,000 for a pair of stand mounts with 5" mid/low drivers. Sorry, that's way too much. Maybe there is a deal on them in Europe. I voted for the floor standers for that reason alone. For that kind of money you could get D&D 8c's.

OP
B

bamhamer

The Dynaudio, no questions about it. The 8 year warranty is a very nice bonus, too. I'd rather have smaller Focus with subwoofer, though.

why the dynaudios?

$10,000 for a pair of stand mounts with 5" mid/low drivers. Sorry, that's way too much. Maybe there is a deal on them in Europe. I voted for the floor standers for that reason alone. For that kind of money you could get D&D 8c's.

both pair of speakers are offered to me around 4000€ so the price is no factor here.
In general the price should not be a deciding factor here, its all about the quality of sound for me with this decision.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
why the dynaudios?
DSP based crossover is a good idea, in general.
both pair of speakers are offered to me around 4000€ so the price is no factor here.
In general the price should not be a deciding factor here, its all about the quality of sound for me with this decision.
Then I'll be obnoxious and say that you can get better than both by going Genelec. Something like 2x 8330A + 7360A or 2x 7350A is 3500€; leaves you enough for a GLM kit. Or 2x 8030C + 2x 7050C for 3000€ and you do the room correction yourself.

OP
B

bamhamer

Then I'll be obnoxious and say that you can get better than both by going Genelec. Something like 2x 8330A + 7360A or 2x 7350A is 3500€; leaves you enough for a GLM kit. Or 2x 8030C + 2x 7050C for 3000€ and you do the room correction yourself.

its only between the focals and the dynaudios. but thanks for your tip!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard any Focals or Dynaudios lately, but an active speaker has many advantages so with only these 2 choices left I'd go active. Let's hope Dynaudio didn't blew it ...

OP
B

bamhamer

As long as @amirm has not measured the Dynaudios we don't know for sure how good they really are.

ahhhh. yeah thats true. haha. unfortunately the amount of tested speakers is rather small as of yet and i dont think hes going to test these high priced speakers anytime soon.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
There is always very useful info in Mitch’s articles. Most of them are worth reading at least twice!

I should add my personal opinion: Get the 60XDs and the basic Audiolense software to tune to your room and taste.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Perhaps you should have said that from the start instead of letting us peel layers off the onion.

OP
B

bamhamer

Perhaps you should have said that from the start instead of letting us peel layers off the onion.

sorry but I intentionally didn't mention the price since I don't want to influence the decision by the pricing but since both of them are about the same price it doesn't matte i guess.

Top Bottom