• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which one for low/medium volume auditions? KEF R3 vs LS50 meta | both options with SB1000PRO

low medium volumes?

• R3

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • LS50 meta

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

regan

I have the opportunity to buy them at the same price (around 1000 euros, new).

Unsure which pair to choose for low volume.

I've seen R3 praised for its soundstage and details at high volume. But would it keep up at low and medium volumes? I will add a sub regardless what I choose.

MCH

Major Contributor
Wow thats a very good price!

I can't comment on your question (i only have the ls50) but was in a similar situation not long ago and what made me decide for the metas was size. The r3 are quite bulky in comparison if that matters to you.
That said, if i could have both for 1000 euros, would probably try the r3 and if not happy down the road, sell them for that same price?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the same price, always buy the R3. The R3 has deeper bass, less distortion, 1.5dB higher sensitivity, and even more consistent directivity.

Only reason for LS50 Meta would be something like a desk setup where you have extremely limited space, and only need 70-80dB of output.

FeddyLost

Depends on listening distance, your amplification and required SPL including peaks.
General problem of LS50 is midbass below 200 Hz, where 12" sub is not a good solution and LS50s already struggle.
IMO at real nearfield (around 1 m listening distance) LS50s are enough.

OP
regan

regan

Depends on listening distance, your amplification and required SPL including peaks.
General problem of LS50 is midbass below 200 Hz, where 12" sub is not a good solution and LS50s already struggle.
Listening distance between 2-4 m
Amp aiyima a07 (temporary solution until i have enough money for hypex)
SPL - don't know what that is :|

Why do you think a 12" sub such as sb1000pro is not good for LS50?

FeddyLost

Good reason to take R3

aiyima a07 (temporary solution
It's not much for possible loud applications. Both speakers are quite heavy load.

Loudness. We still don't know how loud is your medium volume. I hope it's not IMAX loudness, but 4m distance might require a lot from speakers. Maybe you'll use them as fronts in HT little later. Decent headroom didn't hurt anyone.

It's good, but you may have problems with sub-200Hz range at high volume. Single midrange in LS50 is not big enough to play midbass clean and loud. And if you route all frequencies up to 200 Hz to the sub, you may have localization problems (depending on your room and placement).
That's why I'd prefer LS50s only in nearfield application.
We are returning to loudness.
If you will never exceed 80 db spl at 2 m distance, most probably even LS50s will be ok, but at 4 m and 90 db they will be really in trouble even with standard (80 hz) subwoofer support.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amp aiyima a07 (temporary solution until i have enough money for hypex)
SPL - don't know what that is :|

IMHO. Get the R3 (and later a sub if you can’t afford one right away).

Subs to be not locatable are generally crossed over at about 80Hz. At 200Hz they struggle and defy the purpose of not being able to be locatable. The LS50 simply doesn’t reach low enough (especially not at higher levels without distortion) to transition well to any sub.

Don’t get me wrong the LS50 are excellent speakers for eg desk / small room use. But one can’t defy physics and the woofer of the R3 simply makes life easier for the coax driver (as well as for a sub).

OP
regan

regan

BTW- I only listen at low volume, maybe medium on Saturday night. LOL
Great to hear that. It's exactly how i usually listen to music.

I've noticed a few posts which were vouching for LS50 instead of R3 when it comes to low and medium volume. Hence confusion and thread.

Glad to hear the R3s are as detailed at low volumes. They were the option i was leaning to.

Top Bottom