• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Which) One DAC to Rule Them All

jmmaher

The title says it all . If you could only have one DAC in your main system what DAC that you currently own (or within $$ reason aspire to own) would it be?

Full disclosure – I am a retired audiophile and I certainly believe in measurements BUT I also believe that other subjective issues many times will make the difference as to what we like. We may believe one piece of audio looks better, has features we cannot live without and even sounds better to us that one that measures better.
I am new to this forum but very interested in reviving my interest in audio systems and learning as much as I can. I was somewhat involved in the audio industry for a few years but recently have become more of a passive listener that primarily uses Spotify linked with an Allo One to a modest but nice stereo system.

It really is not a why question but simply what DAC do you have and love. If you want, one for headphones and one for a main system. If this question has been asked and answered a million times already my apologies.

Jim

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Devialet amplifier which has a transparent DAC integral with the way it works. For me this is the one DAC to rule everything.

westyjeff

RME ADI-2 DAC, the one item I have not regretted buying.

Last edited:

westyjeff

I like the control possible with this dac, Great input selection, balanced outputs, EQ adjustments, headphone amp that will drive anything, all outputs have separate feature adjustments so you don't have to fiddle with it when you change how your using it, on the fly bass and treble adjustments, adjustable output to match your amp better, other features that I do not even need now but could in the future, German goodness and I almost forgot the manual, more information than you will ever get from most other manufactures.

Last edited:

westyjeff

And I'll add support to the list, RME has continued to give out updates that improve or add features. The key word is Support!

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 Pro for sure. After I bought it, the ’itch’ to search for a better one disappeared. A great feeling... :)

Typevii

Yes, another vote for the RME ADI-2 DAC. The only challenge really is that i have ended up moving it around between desktop heaphhone duties and main two channel listening. Maybe i’ll just have to buy another.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
(Which) One DAC to Rule Them All ?

The Mola Mola Tambaqui ofcourse ! (ask Keith).
It may be a bit o.t.t. for Spotify though. :rolleyes:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But... but ... it said the Tambaqui rules them all. o_O

Thinking about that ... don't all manufacturers feel that way about their TOTL products ?
No... wait ... it just hit me... you need MQA ! :D

Just pick one with the right connectivity, price and looks... just avoid filterless NOS stuff.

Frost

(Which) One DAC to Rule Them All ?

The Mola Mola Tambaqui ofcourse ! (ask Keith).
It may be a bit o.t.t. for Spotify though. :rolleyes:

PERFORMANCE
Full-Scale Output Level: 20dBu.
Signal to Noise Ratio: 130dB.
THD, IMD: not measurable (estimated -140dB).
Bandwidth: Up to 80kHz (apodising response).
Integrated jitter: <1ps from 10Hz upwards, <300fs from 1kHz upwards.
Jitter rejection: >80dB at 1Hz after 20 seconds of loc.

Okay, now I wanna see this thing be measured

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must admit that I would like a Benchmark or RME DAC, not because of the sound quality but because I think that there is a pleasure in owning such well engineered equipment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Rebbi ... you putz maker ! .... schiit stirring again ?

linnlingo

Another vote for the RME ADI2 DAC. A usable feature set. Well engineered DAC made by a highly respected Pro Audio company. I was going to get a Chord Quest but saved about $800 w/a superior DAC.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another vote for the RME ADI2 DAC. A usable feature set. Well engineered DAC made by a highly respected Pro Audio company. I was going to get a Chord Quest but saved about $800 w/a superior DAC.
Adi is absolutely better, god damn I am so ready to pull the trigger for that but money is too tight to mention :).... god damn....happy new year anyhow...

Top Bottom