• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which of these small monitors to get when used with a subwoofer?

thevisi0nary

So quick preface. I am transitioning over to small nearfields due to the layout of my room. These will be sitting on the desk and will be used for moderately close and low volume mixing 70% of the time. I am looking to avoid getting monitors with a large form factor so I've narrowed it down to these 3. Not interested in using headphones frequently as I have some mild tinnitus.

I am 100% planning on integrating a subwoofer with the full intention of spending time tweaking and calibrating it to work with my setup, which also includes room treatment. Based on this I am not worried about the low end extension of the monitors, my primary concerns are mix translation and good stereo imaging.

These are the ones I'm looking at.

1. Iloud MTM

2. Iloud Micro - I know that these are more limited than the MTM in the low end, but considering that I am integrating a subwoofer I wonder if these will work better based on proximity.

3. Genelec 8010 + 7040 sub - Not concerned with the cost difference between these and the ilouds. I have concerns with Genelec's and mix translation based on what I've read in other posts.

Appreciate any help in guidance picking one of these 3.

paudio

If I was going with a subwoofer I would probably go probably Neumann or Genelec + matching sub. I went with the IK MTM because at low levels I don't need a sub.

Tangband

Major Contributor
So quick preface. I am transitioning over to small nearfields due to the layout of my room. These will be sitting on the desk and will be used for moderately close and low volume mixing 70% of the time. I am looking to avoid getting monitors with a large form factor so I've narrowed it down to these 3. Not interested in using headphones frequently as I have some mild tinnitus.

I am 100% planning on integrating a subwoofer with the full intention of spending time tweaking and calibrating it to work with my setup, which also includes room treatment. Based on this I am not worried about the low end extension of the monitors, my primary concerns are mix translation and good stereo imaging.

1. Iloud MTM

2. Iloud Micro - I know that these are more limited than the MTM in the low end, but considering that I am integrating a subwoofer I wonder if these will work better based on proximity.

3. Genelec 8010 + 7040 sub - Not concerned with the cost difference between these and the ilouds. I have concerns with Genelec's and mix translation based on what I've read in other posts.

I would suggest Genelec 8030c without a subwoofer.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have Neumann KH80 plus KH750 calibrated by MA1.

Neumann or Genelec both make great engineered and well measuring speakers so all good from that point.

Just order some of your favorites and try them at home and return the less preferred. No one can really tell remotely what works best in your listening environment and meets your preferences.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use iLoud MTMs with a Presonus Sub8. Signal path is PC --USB--> Topping EX5 --balanced--> Sub8 --balanced--> MTMs

I use both the 80Hz LPF and the 80Hz LFE on the Sub8 and MTMs respectively. It's a very compact setup and requires minimal space above and below my desk. MTMs are mounted on heavy desktop mic stands to raise tweeters to ear height and sit either side of a 34" UWQHD monitor.

I should add that this setup is use for music listening, rather than production or mixing.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All 3 would be great. If it was me, Genelec, just for resale in case I wanted to change it up down the road.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

1. Iloud MTM

I like the 8010. It’s meant for portable monitoring and probably not to be used for too long. It gives you amazing sound but some flies in the ointment.

You have to be close. Close enough that the drivers don’t sum perfectly. So you will play with toe in a lot. It will irritate you. You will need to find a perfect position for your head and slight head movements change the sound considerably.

It’s not worth suffering like that. Get the bigger monitor. Worry about subs if that isn’t enough. More than likely it will be enough. Reason being your brain reconstructs the fundamentals from the ratio of harmonics.

You may need to check some deep bass on a headphone to double check. Even Genelec. Acknowledges this and offers a new product called Aural ID. I guess it’s the nature of the beast.

Deep bass is for listening pleasure more than for getting a mix right. It’s often more trouble than it’s worth in a given room. Just too much to control.

This is why there is a stereophile class A limited LF category. Audiophiles know this on some level consciously or subconsciously.

Top Bottom