• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which of these for (symphonic) metal

pererpan

Still looking at floorstanders for metal. Always listen on normal niveau, also no party. Thought Dynaudio emit 50 but no it's not.
In my area no shop who i can listen. Very difficult. But i have a top 5 and like your opinion.

1. Tannoy xt6f (what i read very good with metal only the tweeter maybe too bright. (The xt8f worse sharper highs)
2. Kef r5. In my country now for 1800,-- Euro)
3. Q acoustics concept 40 (discounted, also no longer a option)
4. Acoustic energy ae 320 or 509
5 Fyne audio F502

Most speakers today have a too bright topend and little bass. And i like a warmer sound. I don't like klipsch (horrible) and JBL.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Given these measurements
R5 is worth considering but add a sub or if that is not enough a second or third. Will also help with room modes. Also the R5 nice directivity makes them easy to EQ if you want to roll off the highs a bit more aggressively with a preference curve to add „warmth“ to your liking. 1800eur per piece, I would assume?

The Tannoy have been measured by this forum‘s host but don’t measure well in many aspects. So I would exclude from your list.

The other I don’t know nor have I read anything about them.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Most speakers today have a too bright topend and little bass
Maybe go for something with bigger bass drivers (8") and active (with amplifiers built in), so that you can use in built switches to adjust highs and lows to taste.

OP
P

pererpan

The Kef R5 here now for 1800,-- a pair. My amp is MF m5si.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have been listening to some of the harshest forms of Metal (Death, Black, Grindcore...) for almost 30 years on different Kef speakers.

They are fantastic due to how linear the frequency response is and how easy it is to work with directivity. However, due to the needs of double kicks, adding a subwoofer is a must, because you definitely want a well-defined lower extension.

You will, at some point, headbang and move, it's Metal in the end. That's why dispersion on Kefs is not super wide but the change at 50 degree angles is very low, hence why they keep the sound quite under control.

Metal is typically equalized on a V shape, but do not let that tendency fool you: you really want to have good mids, because those are precisely what tie everything together, hence, why Kefs are outstanding.

OP
P

pererpan

Kef R5; not bright? I like a warmer full bodied sound. But that small woofers:rolleyes:
MA silver 300 and 500 6g now also for good price. Last MA i have heard was the RX6f. Too bright.

Tannoy xt8f; fantastic bass and soundstage, but again bright highes.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
For Metal, any woofer is small. But luckily, that´s why subwoofers exist.

OP
P

pererpan

The Tannoy xt8f has 8 inch woofers. On the demo fantastic bass and soundstage. If it was live. But that tweeter isn't good. Too bad. Otherwise perfect speaker for me.

dfuller

Major Contributor
1. Tannoy xt6f (what i read very good with metal only the tweeter maybe too bright. (The xt8f worse sharper highs)
Ew, god no. Very bright.
2. Kef r5. In my country now for 1800,-- Euro)
KEFs tend towards the more laid back side of neutral generally speaking (i.e., mostly flat maybe with a slight presence dip and good off-axis behavior). These are good.
3. Q acoustics concept 40 (discounted, also no longer a option)
Not familiar, probably okay.
4. Acoustic energy ae 320 or 509
Not familiar.
5 Fyne audio F502
If the F500SP is anything to go by, skip this.

What's your budget and where are you located?

OP
P

pererpan

i am living in the netherlands but in my area no hifi shop. Budget around 2000,-- Euro.
The Tannoy xt8f has everything i like exept the too forward sounding highs. Monitor audio silver 300/500 better?
Even Kef R5 i read on youtube there are people who find the highs too bright. On a dutch side, Alpha audio, i read a review of the Kef R7. Nothing for poorer records.

OP
P

pererpan

There is now the expensive Q acoustics concept 50. But still not available here.

Digby

Major Contributor
Let me suggest something different, as you cannot listen to the speakers, and I would not buy 2K speakers without being able to listen to them first (speakers do have a character, and if it does not suit you then you have problems). Why not a pair of Behringer B2031A speakers?

Yes, they aren't floorstanders, but plenty of bass and plenty loud. Can be adjusted on the back to dip treble (I didn't find them forward at -2db). I think you would have to spend a lot more money to get better. Might be worth a try for 355 euros.

OP
P

pererpan

3,5-4 metres from the speakers. I saw a Tannoy D500. But again; know nothing about this speaker. The owner want 1000,-- Euro for this speaker.

Digby

Major Contributor
4 metres is a long way, no wonder things sound bright. You need BIG speakers or sit closer.

OP
P

pererpan

And what i found strange; i've heard the Tannoy xt8f also als tv sound. That was superb. even with music from Youtube. No chance for the Dynaudio emit 50. But in stereo there was brightness, too much distortion. Very strange.

raindance

Major Contributor
Acoustic Energy speakers typically aren't bright but they typically don't have very extended bass either. Although I'm curious about the AE1 active...

I'd suggest looking at the active ELAC Navis series and maybe adding a couple of subs.

OP
P

pererpan

What do you think of Polk R700? 8 inch bassport, downport.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go R5 + a couple of SVS 2000 Pro subs.

Top Bottom