• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which multichannel music upmixer do you like ?

Soundmixer

I sat on my rubbish sofa drinking rubbish tea picking up rubbish remote switching on rubbish AV pre looking out of my rubbish eyes changing volume.on rubbish volume control playing back rubbish music on the rubbish media player on my rubbish speakers with my rubbish hearing.
This rubbish has rubbed me raw. This kind of rubbish should be banned to rubbish hell.

snickers

The best I have heard is Logic7, I've drooled over the Logic16 capable AVR's - but they are too expensive for me.

2nd best (but a long way behind) is Dolby PLII Music on my Onkyo/Integra AVR's... most of the time I prefer Plain high quality Stereo over upmix, unless it is Logic7/16

Great, you made nearly the same experience like me!

I can just add, that I heard the Logic7 Immersion in the Lexicon RV-6 and it's still not as good as the Logic7 in my Harman 7550HD.
The Logic16 in the new JBL's would be interesting, as you can tweak it.

rccarguy

Great, you made nearly the same experience like me!

I can just add, that I heard the Logic7 Immersion in the Lexicon RV-6 and it's still not as good as the Logic7 in my Harman 7550HD.
The Logic16 in the new JBL's would be interesting, as you can tweak it.

I think those versions of l7 are stripped down ones..try a proper lexicon like mc-12hd

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I think those versions of l7 are stripped down ones..try a proper lexicon like mc-12hd
Yep on quite a few of the Harman AVR's they had a dumbed down, non adjustable Logic7 - the much earlier Lexicon MC1 and brethren were great, and the MC12 was something else!

snickers

Yes, that's true. The MC-12 and I think also the MC-4 and MC-8 have the one's where you can tweak the L7.
But my concerns with this units is about they're age and the fact that I would need also a power-amp.
But really would like to hear one of these, as I don't need any HDMI connections in my actual setup for HT.

rccarguy

Yes, that's true. The MC-12 and I think also the MC-4 and MC-8 have the one's where you can tweak the L7.
But my concerns with this units is about they're age and the fact that I would need also a power-amp.
But really would like to hear one of these, as I don't need any HDMI connections in my actual setup for HT.

I have mc-8 it's a good processor but lacks automatic setup on levels and distance, DTS master, Dolby hd, Atmos, DTS X, hdmi, 4k, HDR, height channels, multiple sub out, room correction.

But I has a few options that new processors lack, lots of settings to tweak.

aac

any stereo>LCR solution via software?
Waves DTS neural or penteo 16 or nugen halo and a host plugin (you'd also need to setup routing).
You can demo dts and halo, I use kushview element for host (you can find it for free or compile it yourself, or just pay 2 usd for download). Routing is either done through aes3 in out on the card (it doesn't have internal mixer like some do) or a "virtual cable".

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Waves DTS neural or penteo 16 or nugen halo and a host plugin (you'd also need to setup routing).
You can demo dts and halo, I use kushview element for host (you can find it for free or compile it yourself, or just pay 2 usd for download). Routing is either done through aes3 in out on the card (it doesn't have internal mixer like some do) or a "virtual cable".

nice. have you tried hosting those in EQ-APO?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
One thing I will say - there are lots and lots of upmixers.... there are very few that maintain the sense of space that Stereo can provide, and/or enhance it. (even though Stereo was originally intended for 3 front channels!)

Logic 7 is one, and I have been told (but have not heard) - that with the right implementation/tweaking, Dolby PLII can also do a great job... specifically Martin Logan in conjunction with Bryston's SP2 demonstrated 3 channel stereo that was apparently very successful...

So you need the right decoder, and there might be some question as to whether the realism was also due to the use of dipole panels (electrostatics)....

Meridian's Trifield is also apprently very good.

I have not heard any of the other upmixers recommended by "audiophiles".

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
My actual setup is a 5.0 system with 2x Klipsch RP280F, 1x RP-280C (a RP-280F modified as center) and 2x RP-150M for surround.
Receiver is a Harman AVR 760 (in USA 7550HD).

Here are my prefered upmixers:

AVR: Yamaha RX-A1050:
Movies: Dolby PLIIx
TV: Dolby PLIIx
Music: Stereo (sometimes Dolby PLIIx, depended on the source)

AVR: Harman AVR 760:
Movies: Logic7
TV: Logic7
Music: Logic7

I'm just wondering how would Auro3D or the THX upmixer from Onkyo or even the Anthemlogic from Anthem compare to Logic7.
But until now Logic7 is my prefered one.
Seems to me that's a good choice e for you

pomfritz

For 5.0 -> 7.0 (I let the sub do the bass managment) and for music (I don't care for movies), Waves DTS Neural Upmix plugin. I tried Nugen Halo but, it sounds airless than the orignal mix. Where Waves DTS opens all.
My favourite test material is Mike Olfield's Hergest Ridge Part Two (2010 5.1 Surround Mix). At 11:30 (30:50 of the full DVD) there is a lead guitar on the center while, the others speakers, are filled with distos. Halo may succeed if you play with settings but, I didn't succeed. The lead, as is , is lost in the mix. DTS manages it brilliantly in Auto mode. It ads the delicate spacey ambiance on the rears I was looking for. Added to that, it adds some presence to the center's lead. Without breaking the mix. Brilliant! The final of Hergest Ridge is a gem!

Last edited:

risandipra

As for me, I got AVR 5550 from Harman/Kardon since 2005. Set the 7.1 speaker position per Dolby suggestion: I enjoy Dolby/DTS for DVD back then, but never it's other upmix features (including Logic 7 and PLII).

After almost a decade the setup just collecting dust, and I almost got bored with stereo setup (mostly listening to headphones on-the-go), then something nice happened.

I read about Toole in this forum, then got curious with Toole's own setup speaker arrangement (later I found is just as he described in Chapter 15 Audio Reproduction - 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1setup).
After reading his book; been tweaking with speakers position since, and got satisfying result after trying to replicate Floyd Toole's Sound Reproduction suggestion per Chapter 15, which is to put the surround and rear surround in 7.1 into more forward relative to Dolby Suggestion (I put my LCR in -22⁰, 0⁰, and +22⁰ respectively). Then, at the beginning, reluctantly move my side surround to around 45-60⁰ and the rear surround at the 135⁰.

Then I aim the speakers per Dolby Suggestion for Comercial cinema:
1. Decide the the Reference Listening Position (RLP) at the 60٪ of the room length (best location to avoid room modes).

[2. Use appropriate display size from the RLP]

3. Measure the width of the RLP (1/3x side surround inter-speakers distance), and the length of RLP (1/3x distance between foremost surround and the rearmost surround, in my setup: thw distance between my side and rear surround speakers).

4. Aim the LCR into the centre of RLP.
5. Aim the front(ish) (side) surround into the front adjacent corner of RLP
6. Aim the rear(ish) surround into the adjacent back corner of RLP.
7. Level matched.
8. Sealed them with EQ according to the + Amroc Calculator and RT60.

Then, after almost 20 years owning that AVR, I really can appreciate the Logic 7 upmixing My Roon Library Stereo files (from CD rip and Tidal - DAC - Stereo RCA - AVR5550)

I try move my chair. Change listening position without changing any of my setup. Still got balance result. Really fun.

I replicate the method with Dolby Surround setup in my other room; using Denon 1700 Reciever (7.1). Got the same result. All the speakers "gone". Only blissful moment enjoying the program material (Multichanel Music source; as well Stereo source upmixed with Dolby Surround)

My teenage daughters joined me, throw me out of the sweet spot, I still got balance result. I move to second row. Still got balance sound. My daughter and I move around the various sitting Position. All seat is equal now. She said "what did you do?. I can enjoy it now outside the "money seat".

My take is: I follow what Toole suggest in his book, something that is coined according to years of various chronologicaly described research, and the result is simple setup, reliable to be replicated; make system "gone" and enjoyable. Then the program material become the centre of attraction. Be it music or movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom