• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which monitors fo home listening?

OP
P

Pauper

It's interesting that Neumann cites Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m in typical listening conditions for both (pair / full range) and (pair with subwoofer). The specs of all the models I checked showed that with subwoofer the max short term SPL was increased by 6 or 7 dB over the full range rating. It might not apply equally to all brands of studio monitors but at least it gives a general idea of the potential max SPL to be gained by using a subwoofer to relieve them of low bass responsibility. This is a missing piece of data from all the manufacturer specs and tests of studio monitors and other speakers that only cite full range max SPL.
Yes, that’s quite a difference, although I’m a bit adverse to going down that route because of the extra problems it could introduce

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, that’s quite a difference, although I’m a bit adverse to going down that route because of the extra problems it could introduce

For sure including max SPL when used with sub would add a burdensome layer of complexity onto the specs of every speaker manufacturer and reviewer. On the other hand it's a pretty important piece of data for anyone shopping for speakers to run exclusively with a sub and not full range. Consumers are pretty much on their own trying to estimate that now. Neumann's specs at least give us one ballpark number to consider.

giraffejumper

I'm leaning that way also. They seem to be good for far field. Just hope the measurements show nothing bad in them

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KALI IN-8 v2? So many poeple here waiting for Amir to review them with a Golfing/Soccer Panther to pull the trigger...

ivayvr

I had a great luck with Adam A5X. I am using them as a Hi-Fi speakers only and not implying they are good monitors. I like the fact that they are genre agnostic, reasonably priced and have a flexible connectivity options. I am using them with REL T Zero just to support lower end.
My room is around 16 sqm and never get even close to reaching the sound limit.

giraffejumper

Thank you for your info! Finally someone chimed in that is actually using these for listening only. That's good to hear that they are powerful enough to work more than just for near field mixing.

ivayvr

An to add some more, I listened to both Adam T5V and A5X at the same store under identical conditions. They have almost identical score both without and with a sub but to me A5X sounds so much better. If I felt they were a close match I would definitely go for T5V and save some serious money but they are not. A5X sounds more transparent and much faster. They may have the same or very similar FR but they are very different.

dfuller

Major Contributor
A5X sounds more transparent and much faster.
I think you're hearing the more rigid woofer. The TV series uses a polypropylene cone, the AX series uses an Eton hexacone carbon fiber/nomex sandwich.

ivayvr

I believe you are right that the woofer is making the most of the difference. Adam describes the woofer as Carbon/Rohacell/Glass Fiber. Also the amp is 100W vs for 70W for T5V.

OP
P

Pauper

An to add some more, I listened to both Adam T5V and A5X at the same store under identical conditions. They have almost identical score both without and with a sub but to me A5X sounds so much better. If I felt they were a close match I would definitely go for T5V and save some serious money but they are not. A5X sounds more transparent and much faster. They may have the same or very similar FR but they are very different.
That’s very valuable info - thanks

King_Pin

Where I live I have no chance to listen to anything.
I really like ribbons and have been thinking about the Adam A7X.
For my computer setup just listening to music and watching the odd movie.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi, yes I did notice your similar post.
I haven’t bought anything yet as I’m still house renovating but, I think the Kali IN8 v2’s will be it.
:cool: just saw your post and see this, the Kali sounds like a good choice but just a bit of personal note: the IN8 V2 while capable for pretty high SPL and goes quite low to 34hz, I doubt the bass could be that satisfying alone as in large space the SPL requirement for sub bass is quite considerable, maybe you would like to save up for a sub also

OP
P

Pauper

:cool: just saw your post and see this, the Kali sounds like a good choice but just a bit of personal note: the IN8 V2 while capable for pretty high SPL and goes quite low to 34hz, I doubt the bass could be that satisfying alone as in large space the SPL requirement for sub bass is quite considerable, maybe you would like to save up for a sub also
I may do just that. Just as you think you’ve whittled it down out comes the Un if Reference!

OP
P

Pauper

Top Bottom