• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which method for equalizing HPs, Roon or EqualizerAPO/Peace?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm moving slowly into headphones and would like to maximize their performance via EQ. I notice that Amir seems to use Roon for this purpose; is that a preferred method for someone just starting out?

Thalis

I'm moving slowly into headphones and would like to maximize their performance via EQ. I notice that Amir seems to use Roon for this purpose; is that a preferred method for someone just starting out?

What are you using as your source? Smartphone? PC/Laptop? Some streamer?

OP
E

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
What are you using as your source? Smartphone? PC/Laptop? Some streamer?
Sorry, streaming Spotify through Node 2i (Roon compliant) to DAC3B/HPA4. Given this setup I may only be able to use Roon?

brachypelma44

Depends on your source, and whether you're doing it with software or hardware.

From reading here, many people listen to music at their computer and use software to EQ. Some people are more on-the-go, and listen with phones, tablets, or portable units, and do it with software on those devices. I guess I'm the weirdo who doesn't do either. I play flac files on my PS4 Pro, and I EQ my headphones with the Monolith THX 788.

The only disadvantage to doing it that way I can think of off the top of my head is that the 788's EQ will only do +/- 6db for each point, but software can do more. Most settings I've seen from Oratory1990 fall into the +/- 6db range, so it's not a major problem in my book.

wasnotwasnotwas

No. Treat roon as a (not cheap) way of integrating qobuz/tidal /local files seamlessly across many devices with added eq. If you just want to use pc to dac there are free /cheap apps that will do the EQ.

OP
E

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
No. Treat roon as a (not cheap) way of integrating qobuz/tidal /local files seamlessly across many devices with added eq. If you just want to use pc to dac there are free /cheap apps that will do the EQ.
thanks. makes sense that dedicated software programs on a pc would be the most powerful tool. I could do the eq on my laptop and then run a USB cable to my DAC. Not nearly as convenient as just streaming from my phone but sounds like something to keep me occupied until the vaccine rolls around to regular folks.

BillG

Major Contributor

No, Roon would most likely be overkill for you.

When I'm using my PC as a source, I used Equalizer APO with the PEACE gui.

On my Android mobiles, I find the graphic equalizers found in Poweramp or Dolby Atmos to be sufficient - Dolby has the advantage of being system-wide, as well as implementing some sort of crossfeed filter which they'd not very forthcoming about in regards to details. If anyone has the inside scoop on it, I'd appreciate the information.

There are parametric equalizers available for Android that offer more fine grained control, but I've not find it necessary to install one at this point as none of my transducers are so oddly tuned as to need it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom