• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which MEG Geithains?

Martijn W

Do you perceive a subjective difference with coaxial/point source designs and differences in directivity? As in Kef, Genelec ones compared to 8c etc?
This is the main reason I subjectively prefer the MEG designs and some of your customers might as well?
personally i use them nearfield as my primary setup and the the freq response is stable if i move around (my neumanns change more in freq response) only the mono ‘point’ is very sensitive. so if you go from left to right it (partly) moves along with you (same with the neumanns).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
k series are all full range cardiod (check out the diagrams on the website. check out rl933k for example).
While I have no problem of believing it the "problem" is that the 180° diagrams on the MEG website are only shown till the lower mids. The good thing though it that many loudspeakers beam in the upper mids and so do for example also the 944K1 measured by S&R

9441-hor-580x357.jpg

Source: https://www.soundandrecording.de/eq...-nahfeldmonitor-mit-koaxialem-aufbau-im-test/

Martijn W

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Was do the larger 901/921 show the sane upper mid beaming, I am not sure where you found the plot for the 944k?
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Better?
I don’t think any Gen speakers have a cardioid response?
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I like cardioid, active, constant directivity, adjustable bass output built in peq, the KEF and Gen coaxial designs have excellent imaging but then so have the Kiis and 8Cs, ultimately it will come down to your subjective preference.

Keith

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was do the larger 901/921 show the sane upper mid beaming, I am not sure where you found the plot for the 944k?
Keith
Due to their size and configuration they will also show it and I have linked the S&R review as the source below the plot.
I don’t think any Gen speakers have a cardioid response?
The W371 can be used in a cardioid mode.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I'm asking if Geithains are better and if so by how much :)
You keep asking almost everyone in almost every thread similar questions and probably will get dozens of different answers which don't help you further. After some many years of search you must understand that there is no "absolutely better" but everything is a package of compromises and you must find the one that fits YOUR priorities, taste, setup and music best. So either go and listen to all of them (ideally in your own room) or just a buy one of the objectively good choices and stop worrying and start enjoying music because that should be the target, not the gear itself.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
S&R didn’t measure the 901/921 did they couldn’t see it amongst their list?
The W371 yes but any of their main speakers?
Keith

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
above 250 does not radiate backwards and below 30hz the output drops, so effectively the output is a perfect cardioid, but if you want to be ‘right’ then enjoy it!

Of course it radiates backwards above 250hz. The graph apparently doesn't track above 400hz, so we don't know how it looks above that.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's a shame Thomann don't sell Geithain, they would get much more exposure

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a shame Thomann don't sell Geithain, they would get much more exposure
The problem seems to be that the owner of MEG is an older person which while he is a very good engineer he is not very easy to deal with and doesn't seem to care much about abroad sales from what I have heard from some hifi dealers. It is really a shame as I also think the loudspeakers would deserve better coverage internationally and even nationally.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Spent a couple of hours listening to the 901s at KMR ( they have them on permanent loan) in a comparator set up amongst mostly smaller two way monitors, against these the Megs did sound warmer, better bass not as ‘twinkly’ as many of the other monitors but it wasn’t really comparing like for like, the 944ks at home sound tonally very similar to the 8Cs just without the bass extension and just slightly more coloured .
It would be great to have a pair here but it doesn’t look as if that is going to happen, see Thewas’ post above.
Keith

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Spent a couple of hours listening to the 901s at KMR ( they have them on permanent loan) in a comparator set up amongst mostly smaller two way monitors, against these the Megs did sound warmer, better bass not as ‘twinkly’ as many of the other monitors but it wasn’t really comparing like for like, the 944ks at home sound tonally very similar to the 8Cs just without the bass extension and just slightly more coloured .
It would be great to have a pair here but it doesn’t look as if that is going to happen, see Thewas’ post above.
Keith
2 downsides to Geithains
Almost impossible to audition
And probably would be a pain to repair if you live outside EU

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Their business model doesn’t appear have enough margin built in to allow a distributors percentage , fix me for local sales but hardly ideal for further afield, which is a pity.
Keith

songOVERsound

Vintage King in the US now carries them. This makes me happy.

As discussed earlier, even IF the cardioid response is not effective above 250 hz and starts to drop off, the most basic and affordable porous panels at 150 mm will have no problem absorbing most of it. That’s around the area where broadband acoustic treatment gets effective and doesn’t take up several feet.

Which brings me to my question. Since porous acoustic treatment is not considered to be a boundary, I’m curious what gaps between back of speaker and front wall/ side walls will be needed to allow for enough room for the cardioid response to be effective/breathe.

Also, since I will be using subs, I wonder which model has better midbass performance. 934k or 944k

Attachments

• EF82A6A5-B958-48B3-9349-25C84DFC83A6.png
    EF82A6A5-B958-48B3-9349-25C84DFC83A6.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom