• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which materials are practically immortal for headphone pads and headphone headbands?

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58865

I don't want fragile pads that start flaking in 3 years. I want something that's practically immortal unless I damage it intentionally or accidentally.

Does anyone know better?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alcantara cloth will last, microfiber is pretty durable too, more so than velour. Micro suede is good but can make bass sound boomy though compared to velour.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Can you recommend specific products? I have ATH-M40x.

Last edited by a moderator:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be way too painful for my head.
Not to mention their horrible effect on FR. On a more serious note, you are looking for something that is going to last long or just worried that the pads might not be available in the future?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Judging from my every day use of my 38 years old ATH-M2 leather must be the one.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

you are looking for something that is going to last long
Preferably, something that is going to last long so that I can stop caring about it as long as I use it. Preferablly, something that lasts decades or even centuries?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Preferably, something that is going to last long so that I can stop caring about it as long as I use it. Preferablly, something that lasts decades or even centuries?
Maybe you could mention what headphone it is? Availability of aftermarket products varies a fair bit.
Edit: just noticed your edit saying wich headphone.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I want a pair of very durable earpads for ATH-M40x. Any headband for ATH-M40x looks durable enough to last a century.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Letter pads and high durable TP-E 30 (30 years no charge of physical or chemical property's including colour and elasticity) headboard but they don't make them from such. Sony uses TP-E 10 and it had issues regarding it's quality (color change on older models in grey color).

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My concern would be that swapping earpads can have a very substantial impact on a headphone's frequency response. Imo, the best/longest lasting pads if you like the stock tuning would be a spare pair of stock pads.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Micro suede is good but can make bass sound boomy though compared to velour.
It is said that pleather produces the strongest bass.

The amount of bass

pleather > micro suede > valour

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I think micro suede is reasonably good. I will buy a pair of micro-suede pads and a headband for ATH-M40x.

Top Bottom