• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which lossless streaming service is the cheapest and has the best UI?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Now that Apple and Amazon and Spotify are basically offering free upgrade to lossless streaming quality, and I'm unfortunately ditching Tidal because of it.
Which one do you recommend?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that Apple and Amazon and Spotify are basically offering free upgrade to lossless streaming quality, and I'm unfortunately ditching Tidal because of it.
Which one do you recommend?

Well, i think they all offer free trials so wait until they are all actually lossless (Amazon is now, Apple with 1/3 of library lossless 01/06/21 and Spotify nobody knows when in 2021) - so if it were me I would trial Amazon and Apple now (Apple is 3 months so for all intents and purposes you will be using their lossless offer for all 3 months) then trial spotify when it goes lossless.

I cant comment on Amazon, I have just started trialling Apple and Spotify is great but with the nagging feeling the artists are getting utterly screwed. MQA aside , Tidal might actually be my favourite overall but that is because it interfaces with Roon at home and USB audio player pro on android and has a good catalog and decent recommendations.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would have to say Spotify used to have the best UI, but I did not know they have begun their lossless streaming.
Amazon is now $7.99 if you are a prime member or $9.99 for non prime members and their UI has greatly improved.
Not a fan of Apple so i will not say anything regarding them.
In the end I think Amazon is narrowly edging out the competitors.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have to say Spotify used to have the best UI, but I did not know they have begun their lossless streaming.
Amazon is now $7.99 if you are a prime member or $9.99 for non prime members and their UI has greatly improved.
Not a fan of Apple so i will not say anything regarding them.
In the end I think Amazon is narrowly edging out the competitors.

Spotify hasnt. Yet. Unspecified launch date for lossless "in 2021"

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I stream AmazonHD via AirPlay and the user experience is fine, but not amazing. I did an extended comparison with Qobuz and liked the Qobuz UI better. Sound-wise, I did blind comparisons with the same songs on CD and couldn’t tell the difference with either service. I would like to try Apple, but my family is entrenched in Amazon (playlists, etc) so I won’t be switching.

If you’re an Apple/Mac user and have no other considerations, I would guess the Apple service would be great. The other hardware might be the limiting factor—do any streamers support Apple? I don’t think HEOS or Bluesound do. Does Sonos?

MrOtto

Amazon Music Windows app has problems with exclusive mode to USB DAC. I still get the sampling rate set in Windows for shared mode, sampling rate in display doesn't change for HD or Ultra HD music, should switch in display on DAC if it's true exclusive mode. Also, setting exclusive mode for one output device in Amazon app in Windows doesn't save. It has be done every time. And there is no Chromecast support in Windows app, only on Android app.

Amazon has only popular albums sorting for discography for one artist, not by release date. Also saving an artist doesn't bring you to their page with all releases, just shows you what you have saved with this artist. Tidal is better on this.

Spotify has an awful GUI on Windows app, full of suggestions, sharing sessions, and it changes almost with every update. The search is full of user generated playlists, and is often not helpful. Spotify has also the very very annoying woman saying "Spotify is used on another device" seemingly with no reason. Also doesn't find Chromecast units regularly. One of their worst changes was to remove the individual setting for streaming quality for Wifi and mobile connection, but this they luckily brought back now.

LuvTheMusic

The OP refers to the UI. When I looked at the main contenders not too long ago, focusing on classical and jazz, the Amazon and Tidal UIs were awful: home pages designed *only* for current pop (don't know what else to call it), ridiculous playlists, difficult (Tidal) to horrendous (Amazon) searching. So for me, it was worth a few bucks more per month to have a UI that helped rather than hindered -- went with Qobuz. YMMV.

gonzoucab

Well, i think they all offer free trials so wait until they are all actually lossless (Amazon is now, Apple with 1/3 of library lossless 01/06/21 and Spotify nobody knows when in 2021) - so if it were me I would trial Amazon and Apple now (Apple is 3 months so for all intents and purposes you will be using their lossless offer for all 3 months) then trial spotify when it goes lossless.

I cant comment on Amazon, I have just started trialling Apple and Spotify is great but with the nagging feeling the artists are getting utterly screwed. MQA aside , Tidal might actually be my favourite overall but that is because it interfaces with Roon at home and USB audio player pro on android and has a good catalog and decent recommendations.
Qobuz

gonzoucab

We have great users because of ban.
no trial no nothing, ban.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Next time when you want a Moderator’s attention either use the Report function or use a call out like @AdamG247 this. Either will created a system Notification to be sent. That will normally result in a faster response. Thank you .

gonzoucab

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using Bluesound, Tidal's interface seems most friendly. Not perfect, but has lots of nice features. Especially good for those of us who find MQA to be a feature rather than a bug.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom