• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Kali monitors would you go with ?

OP
FTB

FTB

I have one LP8 for now, for testing, need to buy the second one.
I choosed it over LP6 because I though bigger woofer = more moved air in LF.
More amplifier power...
As I listen "far-field" meaning not from 50cm on desk but 2 meters in my living room, I choosed bigger. 6" look small for bass.

I don't know about T7V I haven't seen any measurement.
Both LP6 and LP8 measure well, you can't go wrong I guess.

posvibes

I had to take my turntable for a seeing to this morning to a not too far away audio bricks and mortar shop. It was quiet and while waiting I got to hear the new Klipsch 9's powered speakers with DSP settings.

The app on the phone has a few simple settings and a basic eq set of sliders that is due for an upgrade that will include Hz parameters in future.

Very nice looking speakers, very nice indeed.

But straight away that peakiness in the treble is right there and from the sound of it is already present in the male tenor voice. The speakers produce effortless volume, nothing to crazy it was a quiet room. The have very nice deep bass.

Got home and switched on the Kali LP8's and they sounded more right, correct, pleasant.

The Klipsch's go for AUD$2900 the pair.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
We are just starting to carry Kali where I work. The first shipment just came in and I took home the LP6 for a little play time. I compared them to Genelec G4 (aka 8040), Paradigm Shift A2 w/Milennia sub, B&W 606 (It does have a cheap Sony sub but that is crap so not used for comparison), Yamaha HS5 and Genelec G1 w/ F1 sub and I was really impressed by them for the price. $400 pair you can't argue with that. In a nutshell I would take the G4s if cost were no object and maybe the G1s if you don't want to turn it up, but compared to the others I would take the Kali. Add a sub if you need more bass.

As far as looks go these are better than I expected. Don't get me wrong they are still a black box but the front looks better than the Yamaha or JBL LSR series. This is more the opinion from friends and family as well. I like the look of the Genelecs but I'm told by others they are ugly or at least the G1s are "Cute". None of these monitors are good for aesthetics. I'll be interested to see the Kalis in white.

We have more models ordered but they are on back order. So I can't compare any of the IN series. White was also on back order. I will break out the LP8 soon and we have LSR308s here so I can compare those.

Attachments

• PXL_20230303_233031293.jpg
    PXL_20230303_233031293.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 195
  • PXL_20230304_001629553.jpg
    PXL_20230304_001629553.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 197

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Part 2. Review of the LP8 v2. I brought some speakers over a friends to have a listen and we were having a get together so we figured I would get some other opinions.

The devices were connected via Bluetooth adapter from Kali their MV-BT. We played music stored on our phone in CD quality or MP3 @ 320 bit rate as well as some streaming services like Pandora, etc. It connected easy with no problems with connection. Later we also connected with an THX Onyx and it sounded better but not night and day. We thought the bass seemed the biggest difference. It's always the bass right:)

So onto the speakers. I had to manually switch and everyone picked some songs and everyone took turns being in charge of the music. We would play each selction twice. Sometimes the 308 would go first and other times the LP-8. Not scientific at all. The music was all over the place with various people's choices. We did level match with pink noise and just a phone SPL meter. The 606s got ruled out pretty quick, no one preferred them. We connected the phone directly to the receiver with a lightning adapter. However, everyone liked the bass when they were used with the sub. But, I turned off the sub and speakers were set to large in the processor. It just sound dull and muddy compared to the other two. Unanimously the loser and after a short perios

LP-8 vs LSR-308 was pretty close. Everyone thought vocals and bass were better on the LP-8 but some material they thought the highs were better on the LSR-308. Overall win to the Kali but the JBL was not blown out of the water. Commetns were that they were close.

Due to respect for a tenant volume was kept moderate and we didn't crank anything. The women commented on the aesthetics. The LP-8 was "Not Bad" and I translate that to, I could live with it but it isn't that nice looking. They thought it had a nicer finish on it. The LSR-308 got labeled the "Evil Darth Vader" speaker and none of the women thought the shiny black looked good. l Didn't have the LP-6 with me but I assume they would have preferred its smaller size.

Some other comments from one of the woman was that these don't need a receiver? No they don't. Can they connect directly to the TV? Yes, and I demonstrated it and that it would work with the TV remote. No extra remotes on the table. The women thought this was awesome. I told them they could add a sub if desired. We finished the evening watching a movie with the Kali connected to the TV. It was a Sony TV with an analog out so depending on your connections this may or may not work with your TV. If you have variable analog outputs or headphones outputs on your TV then this would work well.

I can compare the LP6 vs LP-8 but I think that has been done enough already. I hope to get the IN series soon. I think the Kali and JBL are a great value for their performance.

Attachments

• Kali LP8 vs JBL308.jpg
    Kali LP8 vs JBL308.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 169
OP
FTB

FTB

Here is how my pair of Kali LP6 2nd wave measures in my room (1/12 smoothing) :

kali.png

I rent a small place now (40 meters square) with only one choice of placement, no acoustic treatment.

Speakers are 1.55m apart, I listen to the same distance, microphone at the listening position.

Default settings on the speakers.

Except the 50 and 200 Hz peak, it's all into 10 dB range, very linear above 2k.

I am very happy listening to them.

Without smoothing there are not so much room modes (asymmetrical room), I have seen worse :

modes.png

OP
FTB

FTB

It is interesting, I took a look at REW manual about smoothing.

For those not knowing (there may be REW starters here)
:
Variable smoothing is recommended for responses that are to be equalised.
Psychoacoustic smoothing more closely corresponds to the perceived frequency response.
ERB smoothing uses a variable smoothing bandwidth that corresponds to the ear's Equivalent Rectangular Bandwidth

I don't understand yet what is ERB but here we go for the Kali LP6 in my room, mic at the listening position :

Variable smoothing :

var.png

It hurts, EQing or acoustic treatment needed until 200 Hz. Upper is good.

Psychoacoustic smoothing :

psycho.png

Not so bad if it's what my ears perceive... Still too elevated until 200 Hz but smoother low-end.

ERB smoothing :

ERB.png

I don't understand it yet but Amir made this vidz : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...equency-response-psychoacoustics-video.22705/

Once again, all this is without EQ nor acoustic treatment of my room.

If this can help people choosing Kali monitors...

In the five graph I posted including the previous post what is upon 1 KHz is very good, great linearity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom