• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Kali monitors would you go with ?

FTB

Hi there,

I would like to ask you some advices for a buy choice.

I'm looking for a nice pair of little speakers (living in a one person flat) at a reasonable cost (around 500 €).

To guide you it's mostly to listen to and enjoy music. I could use them as monitor when I do some piano recordings at home but it is rare (the last one is more than one year old).
Next to headphones experience I'm fan of the Harman curve and I care the most about linearity and BW extension. The K371 are the perfect budget heaphones for me except the 4 kHz dip.

My first aim was to go for a pair of Elac DBR62, I didn't want active speakers for durability in case of electronic failure.

But next to my experience with headphones where I choosed to keep AKG K371 and sell HD58X jubilee because bass (and treble too actually) extension, I realized how mids linearity is important but how both ends of the bandwith are too.

So I'm taking a look at the second wave of Kali LP6 / LP8.
The JBL 308p mkii was an option but there is the pretty ugly distortion problem.

As a reminder here is the DBR62 thanks to Amir review :

index.php

JBL 308p mkii distortion problem :

index.php

Thanks to Erin's Audio Corner we have the CEA2034 of the Kali LP6 2nd wave :

CEA2034%20--%20Kali%20LP-6v2.png

and the one of LP8 2nd wave :

CEA2034%20--%20Kali%20LP-8v2.png

F3 and F10 of LP8 is 39 Hz and 34 Hz

F3 and F10 of LP6 is 43 Hz and 38 Hz

for comparison

F3 and F10 of Elac DBR62 is 55 Hz and 41 Hz

The F3 around 40 Hz for both Kali is good to me when the bass extension of the Elac is a bit short as their F10 is equal to the F3 of Kali...
The Elac has also a kind of elevated bass level around 150 Hz which should sounds like "fake upper bass" rather than "real deep extension". Please note it is purely a guess here as I never heard these speakers (and maybe I should...), this is only how I read the frequency plot.

My question is choosing between LP6 or LP8.

For what I see with my knowledge, mainly the directivity of the LP6 is better around the crossover frequency ?

At the end of the test Erin note these are quite similar except 1-3dB more dynamic range below 100Hz for the LP8 : https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kali_lp-8v2/

Has anybody tried both and could give more input ?

Thank you a lot

P.S. : I don't know if I'm authorized to post Erin's data here, I can delete if not.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have the desk space I would choose the larger LP8v2 to have more bass and dynamic headroom.

AwesomeSauce2015

I would say get the LP6v2 and down the road a bit add 1 or 2 subs.
If you want little speakers I definitely wouldn't get an 8" speaker... lol.
Since you are in a small flat, then I would definitely say that with room gain, and not wanting to annoy your neighbors, that the 6" monitors will be plenty for you, and if they aren't somehow, then just add in a sub in the future and high-pass the monitors.

Option 2 would be to get a pair of the IN-5 monitors, but those are probably out of your budget. The coaxial speaker will have better dispersion, at the cost of probably needing a sub if you wanted to crank it at all.

But whatever you do, make sure you have EQ available to tackle the inevitable room modes as all of the speakers you are considering have enough bass to activate room modes in a small / medium room. On a PC Equalizer APO will work, if you want a preamp I guess miniDSP would probably be good.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't stress enough how important the v2 is on both models. The Older LP6/6 had high levels if digital noise which the v2 does not suffer from.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If you like to use them in a room, i would go with the in8. For desktop use i dont know, couse there i would prefer smaller speakers.

OP
FTB

FTB

Thank you for all your answers.
If you have the desk space I would choose the larger LP8v2 to have more bass and dynamic headroom.
That's pretty much what Erin says.

I would say get the LP6v2 and down the road a bit add 1 or 2 subs.
If you want little speakers I definitely wouldn't get an 8" speaker... lol.
Since you are in a small flat, then I would definitely say that with room gain, and not wanting to annoy your neighbors, that the 6" monitors will be plenty for you, and if they aren't somehow, then just add in a sub in the future and high-pass the monitors.

Option 2 would be to get a pair of the IN-5 monitors, but those are probably out of your budget. The coaxial speaker will have better dispersion, at the cost of probably needing a sub if you wanted to crank it at all.

But whatever you do, make sure you have EQ available to tackle the inevitable room modes as all of the speakers you are considering have enough bass to activate room modes in a small / medium room. On a PC Equalizer APO will work, if you want a preamp I guess miniDSP would probably be good.
Hey,

I'm not in the idea to add sub(s). Because of budget and successful integration. Little speakers are to me bookshelfs, not towers or any floorstand speakers.
My previous project was to make DIY passive speakers with 8" Seas W22NY001 but I don't have the knowledge for that (good crossover + directivity control, waveguide...)
Yes the IN series is a bit out of my budget. Lucky I am neighbors are not a problem, they're ok with the piano.

I'm used to work with REW and Equalizer APO.
My room is kinda 485 sq feet (45 m²) in one volume, it is not so tiny here in France but it seems in others world areas there are greater volume rooms as standards.

I was wondering about the room modes too. When I thought about Elac DBR62 I asked myself if "short-bass" speakers are a good way to avoid room modes but I'm not sure about that thought as room modes can be as dips as peaks.....

I can't stress enough how important the v2 is on both models. The Older LP6/6 had high levels if digital noise which the v2 does not suffer from.

I agree. Plus the frequency plot of V2 is way better.

If you like to use them in a room, i would go with the in8. For desktop use i dont know, couse there i would prefer smaller speakers.

I didn't mention that but yes I plan to listen to them on speaker stands like an usual Hifi setup, 99% for music listening, it is not for a desktop proximity use.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Thank you for all your answers.

That's pretty much what Erin says.

Hey,

I'm not in the idea to add sub(s). Because of budget and successful integration. Little speakers are to me bookshelfs, not towers or any floorstand speakers.
My previous project was to make DIY passive speakers with 8" Seas W22NY001 but I don't have the knowledge for that (good crossover + directivity control, waveguide...)
Yes the IN series is a bit out of my budget. Lucky I am neighbors are not a problem, they're ok with the piano.

My room is kinda 485 sq feet (45 m²) in one volume, it is not so tiny here in France but it seems in others world areas there are greater volume rooms as standards.

I was wondering about the room modes too. When I thought about Elac DBR62 I asked myself if "short-bass" speakers are a good way to avoid room modes but I'm not sure about that thought as room modes can be as dips as peaks.....

I agree. Plus the frequency plot of V2 is way better.

I didn't mention that but yes I plan to listen to them on speaker stands like an usual Hifi setup, 99% for music listening, it is not for a desktop proximity use.

Than i would go with the in8. A three way with some power. Erin likes it. The minor probs you can eq if you think you have to. And some ummpff. In a room some ummpff is always nice to have.

3125b

Major Contributor
When I thought about Elac DBR62 I asked myself if "short-bass" speakers are a good way to avoid room modes but I'm not sure about that thought as room modes can be as dips as peaks.....
Room treatment and correction are the right way to combat that. Otherwise you'd be missing too much of the content.
As big and powerful as possible given you budget and space is probably the right way to go, especially if you don't want a sub (although the Kali WS-12 is always an option, but then your neighbours will mind for sure).
The coaxial IN-8v2 would be great in the near field, but they are significantly more expensive than the LP-8v2.

Yasuo

My rule is always the bigger sized speaker (unless measurements proves the opposite). That choice usually gets you better lows & dynamics.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've had both IN-8 and LP-6v1 and have kept the latter in my guest room. Amir wasn't bothered by the hiss and neither am I. Spectrally it's very good and a reasonable choice if you find one at discount.

AwesomeSauce2015

(Quote shortened for space)

If you don't want to add subs, then I would definitely say get the 8" version of the speakers, especially if you have the space.
However, either will probably be satisfactory unless you are an SPL maniac. A 500sqft room isn't that huge to fill with bass, so the 8" speakers will probably satisfy you.

And yeah, I agree that good subs are out of your current budget, so...

OP
FTB

FTB

Room treatment and correction are the right way to combat that. Otherwise you'd be missing too much of the content.

Thank you, it clarify how to deal with that :)

(Quote shortened for space)

If you don't want to add subs, then I would definitely say get the 8" version of the speakers, especially if you have the space.
However, either will probably be satisfactory unless you are an SPL maniac. A 500sqft room isn't that huge to fill with bass, so the 8" speakers will probably satisfy you.

And yeah, I agree that good subs are out of your current budget, so...
Yes that's why my DIY idea was with a 8" woofer, I thought 10 or 12" woofer would be too much for such a room.

Gigi wrote above the bigger the better, that's why I'm more into LP8 than LP6 for bass, I guess greater effective piston area with LP8 and more air volume moved at lows...

Following your different advises I took a look at the IN-8 2nd wave and I'm a bit worried about the 5K peak

Kali%20IN-8%202nd%20Wave%20FR_Linearity.png

Here in France a pair of IN8 is 770 €, it's a bit too much for my wallet (extending initial budget to 600€ could have been good).

So I guess I'm going for a pair of LP8. I'm gonna buy one first to get some idea of their sound in mono setting.

Thank you all !

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They have some hiss, but it's decidedly not "digital."

Reactions: JP

3125b

Major Contributor
In France the Focal Alpha 65 Evo might be a good deal, in Germany they cost 675€/pair, might be cheaper and within budget for you.
The minor FR issues (1.41kHz dip and 14.1kHz peak) you can correct very easily when you do room correction, and they are able to play satisfyingly loud and powerful without any sign of distortion (as Amirs review corroborates). The Class-D amps with SMPS (and automatic stand-by) are also quite energy efficient, my small Mackies drew a lot more at low volumes and with no content playing. That might not matter in the US, but with our prices ...

Last edited:
OP
FTB

FTB

Thanks again, I didn't know these Focal.
They look neat compared to standard black boxes. Speakers grills is a good idea (I have cats here )

To be honest I prefer the raw curve of the Kali. I like stuff that can sound good without EQ too (same for headphones).
Some dips around 1.5 kHz for the Focal according to the estimated in-room response.

Most of my listening goes through the computer so I can EQ, but I will add a turntable with a nice collection of LPs and a good old tuner so no EQ and I don't want (and I haven't the budget) to add a hardware EQ in the setting.

OP
FTB

FTB

Yes I'm more and more into these ones.
If fit the requirements and the budget. So more headroom compared to LP6.

The several integrated EQ settings of the Kali are cool for every situation although I should put these on stands far enough from walls.

Thanks again to everyone, every message was useful.

posvibes

So, this morning I picked up a used pair of Kali LP8's from a pawn shop for AUD$399.00, let me repeat the AUD$399 the pair! Found them yesterday online and I wasn't even looking but temptation was too much. That's less money than I paid for my JBL305's.

They really are in good nick, a little bit of light scratching on the bottom surfaces and after listening to them today, the electronics seem to be in order thus far, but they came with a 90 day warranty so if anything is going to happen I'd like for it to happen quickly.

First impressions all subjective, very nice straight off, no dip switch usage no urgent requirement for EQ (although I have saved a couple of profiles from @Maiky76 and @PierreV just in case). These are easy listening with reserves of power I cannot imagine or foresee ever needing to tap for my listening purposes..

Here's the thing though, I have the Adam T5V's and I have had the JBL305p Mkii's. The LP8's sound to me like the 305's, a little bigger and go somewhat lower with more control and an 8" woofer, but if the Kali's hadn't come across my path at that price, I was going to swap the Adam's with my daughter and get the JBL305's back.

The Kali's have highlighted for me what a bargain the 305's are and what a great little speaker they are to boot.

That said and if my better half can maintain her composure and live with these incredibly ugly speakers, although the mat finish helps quite a bit (are you listening JBL/Samsung?) I think this will be it for me as far as speakers are concerned. I haven't got a lot of speakers, but more than enough and I can live vicariously through other members here and tales of their chase for the always penultimate speaker, yeah "penultimate" mateys.

If I could name a model speaker for audiophiles it would be "Sisyphus".

Guys at Kali deserve a great job well done as well, so, great job well done!

regan

Yes I'm more and more into these ones.
Did you end up buying the lp8? If so how do you like them? I'm also hesitating between lp6 and lp8.. maybe Adam t7v too..

Top Bottom