• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which is good quality (low level) high/low pass filter?

Taki8888

Hi,

I’m searching for a decent quality sound wise, low level signal(RCA L/R) high/low pass filter to separate the rca stereo signal to a 2.1 system.

I have only found these two so far:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/473021-REG/Rolls_SX45_SX45_Stereo_Crossover.html/reviews

The minidsp 2x4 seems to be the better of the two but still only sounds ok?

Is there something better, won’t degrade the original audio quality yet not break the bank?
I want to be able to adjust both the low and high pass filters.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean "only sounds ok"?

OP
T

Taki8888

What do you mean "only sounds ok"?
The ASR conclusion for the minidsp 2x4 said it sounded ok, lol. The test was for the DAC function. Assuming filter modes, would be similiar.
I don’t know what the reference for Ok is with ASR. Sounds like its not great. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ASR conclusion for the minidsp 2x4 said it sounded ok, lol. The test was for the DAC function. Assuming filter modes, would be similiar.
I don’t know what the reference for Ok is with ASR. Sounds like its not great. :)
I didn't see that in the review at all. It was more a measurement thing. Doubtful audible unless you encountered maybe some hiss? Hsu Research used to have a crossover unit, so does Behringer.....

OP
T

Taki8888

I didn't see that in the review at all. It was more a measurement thing. Doubtful audible unless you encountered maybe some hiss? Hsu Research used to have a crossover unit, so does Behringer.....

Conclusions
As a core audio platform, the miniDSP 2x4HD has OK performance.

Maybe other have used the minidsp 2x4 for high/low filters, they could chime in.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Conclusions

Maybe other have used the minidsp 2x4 for high/low filters, they could chime in.

I've got older units (old unbalanced and balanced units of the 2x4), but have not really used them for bass management as I've got avrs that do well in that regard. What's the gear involved otherwise?

OP
T

Taki8888

I've got older units (old unbalanced and balanced units of the 2x4), but have not really used them for bass management as I've got avrs that do well in that regard. What's the gear involved otherwise?
It is for Magnepan MC1 and a future small sub. Using a Denon 600NE integrated. No AVR, yes it is super with with an AVR.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is for Magnepan MC1 and a future small sub. Using a Denon 600NE integrated. No AVR, yes it is super with with an AVR.
Too bad the Denon didn't incorporate bass managment.....like their avrs :) Good luck in your hunt but I'd think that minidsp unit (or one of their others) could well work out for you. Why bother with a small sub? That's somewhat defeating the purpose....

OP
T

Taki8888

Too bad the Denon didn't incorporate bass managment.....like their avrs :) Good luck in your hunt but I'd think that minidsp unit (or one of their others) could well work out for you. Why bother with a small sub? That's somewhat defeating the purpose....
There is no retail integrated stereo amp that I have seen that has high/low pass filters built into it. Some have a sub woofer output but that is it.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is no retail integrated stereo amp that I have seen that has high/low pass filters built into it. Some have a sub woofer output but that is it.
The Anthem STR and the Parasound HINT 6 do.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is why I generally don't even consider integrated 2ch amps as much of an option for today's use. What use is a full band sub pre-out?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Conclusions

That's more talking about measured performance, not audible.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Which is why I generally don't even consider integrated 2ch amps as much of an option for today's use. What use is a full band sub pre-out?
Haven’t seen a powered sub that didn’t have its own crossover. Full band sub out works just fine. Doesn’t really matter which end of the wire the crossover is on.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven’t seen a powered sub that didn’t have its own crossover. Full band sub out works just fine. Doesn’t really matter which end of the wire the crossover is on.
Most subs only have a low pass filter, not a crossover.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Most subs only have a low pass filter, not a crossover.
Your post was about about the uselessness of a full band sub out. A less than full band sub out would be low pass filtered, just like it is at the sub.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your post was about about the uselessness of a full band sub out. A less than full band sub out would be low pass filtered, just like it is at the sub.
Some might even have a high pass for the speakers if they want to use the term "crossover" IMO. I'd rather have an actual crossover, as well as some adjustability for delay.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Some might even have a high pass for the speakers if they want to use the term "crossover" IMO. I'd rather have an actual crossover, as well as some adjustability for delay.
Typically a cross over is just a combination of a LP and HP filter along with a splitter.... whether done physically, or in software, the same applies.... best pictured as a Y cable with a LP on one side and a HP on the other.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Typically a cross over is just a combination of a LP and HP filter along with a splitter.... whether done physically, or in software, the same applies.... best pictured as a Y cable with a LP on one side and a HP on the other.

Yes, it's where the low pass filter slope and high pass filter slope "cross" "over" :)

Top Bottom