• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which is Better for Bedroom/Office Audio System?

aslan7

I have a Topping DX 7 Pro hooked up to my iMac that holds all my music files. I want to add speakers and am considering the Genelec 8030C (that can be hooked up directly to the Topping) though I have zero experience with active speakers. My other option is to get a Buckeye or Nord Hypex Ncore NC252MP amplifier with Revel Performa3 M105s. Which is likely to offer better sound? I don’t want a sub and listen to classical and jazz, generally chamber ensembles, so as long as the cello sounds reasonably deep all is well. This is for my office bedroom so it is near to mid-field listening, the room measures 12 x 14 feet. Don’t sneer, but when I started with the idea of adding speakers to the system I was considering the Bose Companion 2 so it’s been a long journey.

Andretti60

First all, let me ask you a question: how much attention do you put when listening at the computer? I also have an iMac in my home office, and a work laptop, I listen to music only as a background, and most of the time I find the iMac speakers “good enough”. Of course I tried many different types of DAC and monitors, but really in my case they didn’t make any difference especially because I listen to very low volume (otherwise cannot concentrare when I am working). I also tried few Bose and I find them useless as near field listening (they are basically multimedia speakers heavy on bass).
You solutions (Genelec and Revel) are very expensive and they are more suitable for immersive listening and studio monitors. With the Mac, I haven’t even found any difference using an external DAC. As a much less expensive solution, I can suggest a pair of Yamaha or JBL studio monitor, amplified, with or without external DAC.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'd recommend KEF actives. Easy to use, good sound, self contained and quite nice looking.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I would go for the Neumann KH150 in that case (if i did not build speakers myself). The Genelec is an equivalent but i don't like Genelec (and i know that speaker well, i work weekly with it in a radiostudio). Genelec 8030C is better than that Revel, as the Revel needs a sub to give real bass. The Genelec goes low enough to have some bass, especially when you put it close to a wall. But it could also use a sub. The KH150 does not need a sub, is as good as the Genelec and is only slightly bigger. The catch is that it's a lot more expensive than the Genelecs, and also more expensive than the Revel + amp. But in my experience with the brand and it's precestor, it's a end game speaker, except when you want it bigger and more powerfull or need some colour (what is not wanted down here by most). Distortion, also on low frequencies is very low, the response very neutral and the sound very easy listening, also on high volume.

The review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh-150-monitor-review.39922/

But of your two speakers listed, go for the Genelec. It's cheaper and better than the Revel and the Ncore without subwoofer. Above 100Hz they will be very similar, but below it will make a big difference.

And the Genelec (in general) i don't like is very subjective. It's still a way more than decent speaker even for my subjective taste, it's just that my ears get ear fatigue from it after a few hours, something most other good speakers don't do. For the rest it does what it (and the reviews and measurements) say...

OP
aslan7

aslan7

First all, let me ask you a question: how much attention do you put when listening at the computer? I also have an iMac in my home office, and a work laptop, I listen to music only as a background, and most of the time I find the iMac speakers “good enough”. Of course I tried many different types of DAC and monitors, but really in my case they didn’t make any difference especially because I listen to very low volume (otherwise cannot concentrare when I am working). I also tried few Bose and I find them useless as near field listening (they are basically multimedia speakers heavy on bass).
You solutions (Genelec and Revel) are very expensive and they are more suitable for immersive listening and studio monitors. With the Mac, I haven’t even found any difference using an external DAC. As a much less expensive solution, I can suggest a pair of Yamaha or JBL studio monitor, amplified, with or without external DAC.
I do sit back in the room away from the computer and listen to things. I agree that the Mac speakers are good enough.

The Topping DAC makes a big difference in quality with the headphones so, even though I don’t particularly like headphones, I may as well keep and use it. You may be right that I should set my sights down a little.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

I would go for the Neumann KH150 in that case (if i did not build speakers myself). The Genelec is an equivalent but i don't like Genelec (and i know that speaker well, i work weekly with it in a radiostudio). Genelec 8030C is better than that Revel, as the Revel needs a sub to give real bass. The Genelec goes low enough to have some bass, especially when you put it close to a wall. But it could also use a sub. The KH150 does not need a sub, is as good as the Genelec and is only slightly bigger. The catch is that it's a lot more expensive than the Genelecs, and also more expensive than the Revel + amp. But in my experience with the brand and it's precestor, it's a end game speaker, except when you want it bigger and more powerfull or need some colour (what is not wanted down here by most). Distortion, also on low frequencies is very low, the response very neutral and the sound very easy listening, also on high volume.

The review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh-150-monitor-review.39922/

But of your two speakers listed, go for the Genelec. It's cheaper and better than the Revel and the Ncore without subwoofer. Above 100Hz they will be very similar, but below it will make a big difference.

And the Genelec (in general) i don't like is very subjective. It's still a way more than decent speaker even for my subjective taste, it's just that my ears get ear fatigue from it after a few hours, something most other good speakers don't do. For the rest it does what it (and the reviews and measurements) say...
I read the Neumann review and agree that it’s a fine alternative but one that is well above my price range. If I get rich…

OP
aslan7

aslan7

I'd recommend KEF actives. Easy to use, good sound, self contained and quite nice looking.
I’ll check them out; don’t know much about the brand. Another criterion is that I only want speakers that Amir recommends.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I’ll check them out; don’t know much about the brand. Another criterion is that I only want speakers that Amir recommends.
They are the active version of the LS50 Meta.

Top Bottom