• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Integrated Tube Amp - LSA VT-70 or Willsenton R8

atl-zu

Hi, Everyone. I scored some gently used Omega Super Alnico Monitor speakers and matching powered sub. The speakers are rated 94.5 dB at 8 ohms.

I'm trying to decide of I should go with the LSA VT-70 or Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp. Source will be streaming (from BlueSound Node) and a Border Patrol SE-i DAC.

It feels like the two are comparable in many ways, with the the key distinction being the Willsenton R8 which has switchable modes - Ultralinear and triode. Whereas the LSA is Ultralinear only.

I listen to music all day in my office (Radiohead, alt, jazz) at 70db levels.

Thanks.

P.S. The Willsenton R8 comes with KT88 tubes, which I would likely upgrade to EL34.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, Everyone. I scored some gently used Omega Super Alnico Monitor speakers and matching powered sub. The speakers are rated 94.5 dB at 8 ohms.

I'm trying to decide of I should go with the LSA VT-70 or Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp. Source will be streaming (from BlueSound Node) and a Border Patrol SE-i DAC.

It feels like the two are comparable in many ways, with the the key distinction being the Willsenton R8 which has switchable modes - Ultralinear and triode. Whereas the LSA is Ultralinear only.

Thanks.

P.S. The Willsenton R8 comes with KT88 tubes, which I would likely upgrade to EL34.
You may get a lot of "why tubes?" on this site. :) But if you're asking for an opinion, it seems the Willsenton has gotten more positive subjective reviews on the internet. There's a post on this site here and it looks like a member has one. You can try sending him a message.

I have a 2 systems, one has a Cary SLI-80 signature integrated that I've owned for about 20 years. Looks similar in features to the Willsenton. I love it so long as I'm not pushing it too hard. Girlfriend and guests think it looks cool. Audio jewelry. They can be had for as little as $2K used. I think there's 2 or 3 on eBay right now.

raindance

Major Contributor

Thanks.

Upgrade to EL34???

riskmaker76

Thanks.

What did you decide on?

In the same boat to decide. Friend just picked up the R8 and loves it.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those speakers are sensitive enough that I'd jump straight to a 300B amp. The R8, imho, barely sounds like a "tube amp". I'm actually considering picking up the instrumentation I need to measure it's frequency response because it's fairly flat. But more to the point, in ultralinear mode at 45 wpc with KT88 tubes it has more than enough power to drive 91 dB efficient speakers to unpleasantly loud levels. And yes, it's response also seems to be fairly flat down to very low frequencies, at least down to 40 Hz or so, unlike certain kinds of tube amps.

Top Bottom