• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which integrated amplifier under 600 ?

OP
The French

The French

The problem I have with SMSL, is the size of the devices.
Just like Topping products, they fit well on a desk, but they look very very small in a living room.
They look like toy in a way. And their remotes are almost always identical (and tiny as well).

I finally ordered the Yamaha R-N803D in a german webstore. 760€, so a bit more than what I wanted first, but it does everything : internet radio, tuner (DAB), room correction...it does have a dac, and 2x100W, which should be plenty enough.
I kinda like the look of it (even if it's too tall, and if the button are very plastic).

It's clearly not my dream amp, but it will do.

Many thanks to all

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I finally ordered the Yamaha R-N803D in a german webstore. 760€, so a bit more than what I wanted first, but it does everything : internet radio, tuner (DAB), room correction...it does have a dac, and 2x100W, which should be plenty enough.
I kinda like the look of it (even if it's too tall, and if the button are very plastic).

It's clearly not my dream amp, but it will do.

Many thanks to all
This looks very nice. I like the Yamaha style which keeps look of their old classic gear. Have you seen one of these in person? I also wonder if the switches are as good as old Yamaha. I have three of the Yamaha wxa-50, they are stable, solid, and sensible, but I know what you mean about the looks and operation of the these little devices. I also have an old Yamaha CA-2010, and I hope your new unit has controls that feel as good...
All that being said, the 803D should sound awesome.

OP
The French

The French

This looks very nice. I like the Yamaha style which keeps look of their old classic gear. Have you seen one of these in person? I also wonder if the switches are as good as old Yamaha. I have three of the Yamaha wxa-50, they are stable, solid, and sensible, but I know what you mean about the looks and operation of the these little devices. I also have an old Yamaha CA-2010, and I hope your new unit has controls that feel as good...
All that being said, the 803D should sound awesome.

I've seen it in person last week end. It looks nice, and I will be happy with it.
But nothing compared to your old CA-2010...side by side the 803 would looks like a cheap, but modern, replica.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Boston VR-M50
Did you ever get something?
- My opinion is you should be merciful to those Bostons and have a highpass filter somewhere in the chain, so they are not straining uselessly.
- Some Yamaha have that, you have to read carefully, and sometimes it's hidden in the YPAO
- I would rather get an AVR with good room correction anyway, plus bass management and time alignment, all sadly lacking in most 2-channel stuff.

Top Bottom