• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Headphones for 500€ to 1500€?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Are you using a console or a PC ? (I use the latter) I use a headphone specifically for (FPS) gaming. It's the very cheap Logitech G432 DTS:X 7.1 Surround Sound Wired PC Gaming Headset. ($40) I wouldn't recommend it for listening to music. I use it to play FPS games online. You definitely need 7.1 (or 5.1) surround sound for that because it enables you to hear where your enemies are.
I also play RPGs sometimes. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is still my favorite even though it's old (2015). I don't use headphones for that I have a Motu M2 USB external soundcard (balanced of course) currently connected to Kali Audio IN8 Active monitors (the old ones were on sale! I couldn't resist) That thing is amazing for the price. I use a condenser microphone Rode NT1 which needs 48V phantom power for my Zoom meetings. I EQed it a bit so my voice will sound a little lower. I like to think it gives me more "presence". I really don't like listening to my own voice though. I hate zoom meetings. But you know. Some kind of virus is spreading like wild fire. We're living in crazy times.

For music it depends on the genres you like. If you're into bass heavy music you should buy a closed one. For other genres I recommend an open one (better soundstage, spaciousness). I use both depending on my mood.. For instance I'm a big fan of extreme heavy metal genres like Trash- and metalcore. Depending on my mood I might use an open one for some tracks and a closed one for others.

So instead of buying just one headphone. You should buy three. If your budget is $1500 this shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.
I could do it for even less money. The build quality of some headphones is not always up to snuff if you use relatively cheap ones. But i think SQ is more important. I'm very careful with my audio equipment.

The ones I have:

Closed one: AKG K371. $150. I think it looks pretty ugly but this is subjective. I really love this one for bass heavy music. Amirm complained about too much sub-bass. You might want to turn that down a notch if you want accuracy but I really liked the extra thump and rumble.
Open: Sennheiser HD 650 (currently $322.95 on Amazon)

Amirm recently tested the Sennheiser HD560S. ($170). I just ordered one based on the review. It got slightly more bass than the HD650 but the build quality is probably not the same. But you know. SQ is everything to me. I'm really looking forward listening to this thing. I'm pretty excited. I shop, therefore I am ;)

So there are a lot of factors at play....

Status-seekers and people with lots of disposable income should buy an electrostatic like the flagship STAX SR-X9000. It's only $6500. Impedance 145kΩ. O damn it. Yup, you need to buy a separate special amplifier to drive it. It cost more than the headphone itself. Rich people are funny :)

You could just go with a planar magnetic instead. I bought a second hand HIFIMAN HE-400I 2020 for $100 a year ago because I always wanted to try one. It's not that bad but nothing special either. I don't think planar magnetics are for me. YMMV.

I have several even cheaper ones from brands like Superlux. They really aren't that bad if you EQ them properly. The build quality is crap but the sound is okay.
AHH . The trinity of mediocrity.. AKG, hd6xx, sundara (kinda)

OP
P

pouni

Wow, thank you all for your great suggestions and information posted! At the moment I have two ne favourites: Focal Clear (non MG) or Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noir. What do you think of these in comparison?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most gamers use headphones designed for gaming. Often combined with software and mics. Usually driven directly from onboard sound cards.
These headphones usually are not a good match for music enjoyment and are mostly closed.

Gaming with stock HD800S works fine (acc to my son, I don't game) it does not need EQ during gaming.
For music enjoyment they are even better but really need some EQ and some decent amplification.

A cheap alternative for gaming is the HD560S which also seems to work fine for gaming and with some light EQ works great for music but is no HD800S.
Hey there solderdude. Since you personally own it i'm curious about your HD800 eq. How you tune your HD800 for your personal music listening ? What do you think is wrong with the stock tuning outside of that famous 6k peak and since you heard the HD800S, is 6k still problematic with HD800S ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I EQ the bass up 30Hz +7dB using a shelf that starts to work at 150Hz and lower the treble plateau (6kHz -8dB and TP*).
The 2kHz dip is not filled in. I actually like/prefer that dip (in reality just -2.5dB around 2kHz).

For 800S the 6kHz peak needs to be lowered another 3dB. The resonator helps but not enough.

* The upper treble peak (11kHz) can easily be lowered using a single ply of 3-ply toilet paper between the driver and dust filter.
Do not remove too much 11kHz it is part of the HD800 'magic'

Last edited:

odyo

I EQ the bass up 30Hz +7dB using a shelf that starts to work at 150Hz and lower the treble plateau (6kHz -8dB and TP*).
The 2kHz dip is not filled in. I actually like/prefer that dip (in reality just -2.5dB around 2kHz).

For 800S the 6kHz peak needs to be lowered another 3dB. The resonator helps but not enough.

* The upper treble peak (11kHz) can easily be lowered using a single ply of 3-ply toilet paper between the driver and dust filter.
Do not remove too much 11kHz it is part of the HD800 'magic'
Thanks! I haven't bought it yet but eyeing for a good price. I don't have any chance to audition so i try to find as much as info/opinion as possible.

graph.png

Looks very similar to my Ananda in these measurements. My Ananda EQ coincidentally matches HD800S in 1-5k region and i also boost treble little bit above 5-6k (i guess i'm a treblehead or the lack of impact on Ananda make me boost bass and treble, i love high treble and air).
Bass seem very similar on both and it's not enough. I EQ it anyway but maybe HD800S dynamic driver deliver more punch than Ananda.

I feel like HD800S with my balanced Zen Can and Xbass button will work just right for me. Considering the comfort, build, soundstage, imaging, air, technical abilities my priority i'm leaning towards HD800S. My worry is the bass distortion with the heavy EQ although i don't listen too loud. Probably that's why i like a bit more v shape. Mids/vocals dominate at lower volume.

nigma

Arya is a safe bet i think. Especially if you can get the v1/v2 - not the stealth.
What makes the older Arya better in your opinion? I’m trying to decide between v2 and stealth as an upgrade from Ananda.

symphara

I know you requested open. But, maybe the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire.
The regular Aeon 2 has an open version and seems very good. That's what I would look at if I wanted open, but I want closed, so myself I'm planning to get exactly what you suggested!

Top Bottom