• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which headphone(s) of "inferior prestige" do you come always back to?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD580. They seem to be the forgotten one in the 580/600/650 group, but they’re not much different from my HD650. Also, I actually like the looks of the plastic grilles. I think they’re more interesting than metal mesh.

Tigi

Sennheiser HD650. After 9 years of listening, I have no need to get rid of them. They are definitely not perfect - lacking subbass, somewhat duller, less detailed, less spatial sound compared to modern "flagship" headphones. But there is something very pleasant and natural about their sound presentation, especially in the mids, that always makes me happy when I return to them after a while. They have the useful ability not to disappoint in any music genre (compared to e.g. AKG K701 or Grado RS1 which can sound really appalling in specific recordings). And after equalisation of HD650 - you get the sound which is very difficult to beat.

Last edited:

Benaudio

It should be the same, however some folks did complain extensively regarding SE. Me by something changed regarding Foster revisions. What I can say to you is that Denon AH-D1001 and Aurvana live sound different (you can find EQ APO or wavelet EQ's for the two).
Makes sense, those are not physically identical, they have different cups and pads, unlike Live and SE.
People complaining about differences is anecdotal, my personal anecdote is they are the same.
Of course I’d be happy to be proven wrong if someone measures both on the same rig

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BD DT990 pro, almost daily at my PC, but EQed with the RME ADI-2 PRO fs. Usually due to comfort on my head.

brbsnacks

I have a hyperx cloud 2 with the USB dongle in the kitchen. Use it all the time in there. It's pretty clean and has some punch to it! Bought it years ago when I gamed and used discord.

buz

Forum Donor
Sony wf-1000xm3 as it's the only true wireless IEM I have, is easy to use and has acceptable ANC

Lunafag

Not exactly "going back" but if my current headphones were to break I'd whip out my qkz vk4 and wouldn't be sad about it.

godmax

For me its the guilty pleasure can of anonymous bassheads: V-Moda Crossfade M-100, probably the most uncomfortably headphone out there (XL pads still wait in the closet), but still worth a listen now and than!

aravaioli

I often go back to my DT990-600 and say to myself that if I ever needed to sell all my pricey headphones I could be happy with just those and my Darkvoice amplifier.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Superlux HD 861F with velour pads are a win for me. Dirty cheap. EQed they are really nice and open, yet exciting. Heavy bass is not there, but you can just about EQ the bass up enough to get a great sound without auditable distortion. I forget I have headphones on with these.

Got the HD861 'non F', and the HD861B. They sound muddy compared to the F

Got a set of AKG K371s this week....
They don't touch the Superlux for me. (Occasional sibilance with or without EQ + awful soundstage. Anything that is close miked is just too dry. Large stage live is much better, but not all that.
Can't ever forget your wearing headphones. The closeness is always there.

All ran with and without oratory convolution (with is much preferred)

About to try the NAD hp50.. we will see.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I often go back to my DT990-600 and say to myself that if I ever needed to sell all my pricey headphones I could be happy with just those and my Darkvoice amplifier.
Welcome Aboard @aravaioli.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Creative Aurvana Live! I have used them for years as my work/portable headphones. Very pleasant sounding headphones, even without EQ. Probably up there in distortion, but tonality is exceptional for the ~$40 price they used to go for.

Someone should send Amir a pair!

OP
Nango

Nango

Major Contributor
OP
Nango

Nango

Major Contributor
Had the 840 back in the day. It’s a great easy listen and quite comfy. Btw - I love that compilation. Great choice. Check out their recent release with Paul Stamet (yes,of mycology fame).
Great advise. Like the Telepathy Remix the most (One Giant). I am right now on the Afro Dots from Master Margherita, Blue Hour Sounds, on Bandcamp of course, great on 840s: https://bluehoursounds.bandcamp.com/album/afro-dots

Top Bottom