• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which headphone(s) of "inferior prestige" do you come always back to?

RikB

Sennheiser HD598. Easy to drive without a headphone amp, really light and comfortable. They lack low end bass and the top end but everything sounds good on them.

HereYaGo

Sennheiser HD598. Easy to drive without a headphone amp, really light and comfortable. They lack low end bass and the top end but everything sounds good on them.
I got rid of the 598 after a couple of weeks of lying to myself. They were my first ever openback headphones and they were so highly rated on amazon at the time. They sounded very warm and veiled. Gunshots in counter-strike sounded dampened like they were muffled. I remember someone saying they sounded like listening to music from behind a closed door, lol. They are also where I learned the term "sennheiser veil"
Interestingly the HD560S seem to be nothing more than HD598 with more neutral fundamentals below 1khZ to get rid of their warmth and a ever so slight bass extension, lol. I ended up replacing my HD598SE with Philips 9500s cause at least they had treble clarity and neutral fundamentals.
jhjhjh.png

phrwn

This is a good question. I've been using Cooler Master MH751's all week since I had to pack the E-Mu Teaks away amidst some minor construction. Suddenly the value of a slightly less delicate headphone seemed important and the CM's sound fine. In fact the Teaks better sound significantly better when I go back to them or they'll be out.

markanini

Major Contributor
I got rid of the 598 after a couple of weeks of lying to myself. They were my first ever openback headphones and they were so highly rated on amazon at the time. They sounded very warm and veiled. Gunshots in counter-strike sounded dampened like they were muffled. I remember someone saying they sounded like listening to music from behind a closed door, lol. They are also where I learned the term "sennheiser veil"
Interestingly the HD560S seem to be nothing more than HD598 with more neutral fundamentals below 1khZ to get rid of their warmth and a ever so slight bass extension, lol. I ended up replacing my HD598SE with Philips 9500s cause at least they had treble clarity and neutral fundamentals.View attachment 130135
Additional foam in the back ports, absorbing the upper bass bump, could turn these into a HD560S performance. But the HD598 go for $200 already. At least it possible so save them with modding.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Bluetooth headphones. Specifically my Sony wf-1000xm3. They are just too convenient and unobtrusive when out walking.

JWAmerica

The HK AE-S IEM needs minimal EQ. It consistently sounds better than many more expensive headphones that I have tried. I am still looking for a worthy successor.

jmos

Forum Donor
Vmoda m100 master for on the go use. These just sound right to me. Though they are not that popular

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Koss Porta Pro Classic.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AKG IEMs that were bundled with my last mobile phone (Galaxy S10). Cheap (you might go as far as saying I paid nothing to get them) and yet surprisingly good and a very solid daily beater for commuting and uses where I might not want to risk something that cost more.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grado SR80e. Comforatble and I can hear the Mrs calling.

xingfei

"inferior 'prestige'" don't know but I still like my 2 decade old Coby CV-200, they got everything I need... the sound.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bose. They're my only pair, so I always go back to them.

Last edited:

seerious

I bought some CAL SE’s the other day and they’ve floored me.
They’re my second insta-recommendation after the Moondrop Aria.

Top Bottom