• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which headphone Advice needed please

saiyuki

Hi guys, my first post but not my first visit and still puzzled by all this wizardry. Now well into my retirement, my primary enjoyment is listening to music. Being a musician since the 70's last century :facepalm: my musical tastes are quite varied. As i'm getting old (ahem), my primary enjoyment is blues, but also i enjoy listening to chinese, japanese, and korean flavours, especially instrumental and vocal (Yuki Kajiura, Kokia, Maaya Sakimoto, Yoko Kanno), both live recordings as well as recorded.

Phew, that's that out of the way ;). I have a pair of Edifier R1280T speakers -eq'd from advice from this forum, a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, and a pair of HyperX Cloud 2 Headphones (i do have a creative labs AE-5 Plus, but even going direct mode doesn't match the tight bass i get from the Focusrite).

Time for the query. I got the Sabaj a10d coming soon and would like a pair of headphones to match. I live on my own in a sheltered accommodation where unbelievably, the walls are absolutely soundproofed - bonus also is my neighbours are deaf :cool: Openback headphones are no problem, but open or closed back, i would like an over ear set as my ears suffer fatigue from on-ear headphones being clamped to my head

I can run upto >=£350.00 or thereabouts if at all possible please. I hope i've given enough information for you.

Thanks for being patient :)

Regards

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your best bet would be to invest in some planar headphones like the Hifiman Sundara or Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2. Both are excellent all round performers for what you're listening to. Love me some Yoko Kanno and her jazz recordings.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hifiman Edition XS is worth considering as well at £393
honestly glad that you recommended those, i keep forgetting about those stellar XS.

OP
S

saiyuki

Hi. Thank you all for the valued information, i think i'll go for the Hifiman Sundara and use the invaluable app 'Peace' to eq as necessary.

Funny how things go, i'm watching 'Stand alone complex 1st Gig' where the 'laughing man' makes his entrance :)

Again, thank you.

Regards

OP
S

saiyuki

Hi guys. I got the Sabaj a10d and the Hifiman Sundara, hooked them up and eq'd the headphones. The first test of this setup was a quick youtube visit for some classical stuff - i'm guessing a lot of eybrows will be raised and uttering where's the Flac stuff first :facepalm: Anyway i wanted to listen to Holtz Mars bringer of war -

I was like the conductor at the very beginning calm and poised, but then very quickly switched into the passion shown by the conductor. Emotionally i've never been that closed to tears listening to music -someone throw out that boy at the back for sniggering ;)

For the metalheads here try Steve Parrish playing the same -

Regards

Top Bottom