• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Vote for your favorite DIY speaker to be tested

• Bagby Adelphos/Kairos

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • Bagby Helix Dome MT

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Bagby SB Revolution Mini

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Campbell-Holtz Micro Statements

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • Carmody Overnight Sensations

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Carmody Speedster

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Dayton Audio C-Notes

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Heissmann DXT-mon

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Linkwitz LXmini

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Seas Loki

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Commercial kits would not be do-it-yourself. I see DIY as designing, as well as building a speaker or some other audio device. A kit is a repeatable commercial device in which the buyer adds the last step or so, according to instructions, to the realization of a product. For any particular product, they'd all sound the same, since they are the same, if the builder does not get creative in its assembly.
Humm ... What are you saying? The speaker kits shouldn't be tested? For a start they are at least as relevant as finished commercial speakers. Personally I have successfully DIY'd speakers of my own, "creative" design and also from kit. Both were DIY efforts from my perspective.

Testing custom, "creative" designs might be fun exercise but it's irrelevant to other potential DIY'er and listeners in general unless the design published and widely accessible.

swampbrain

so which selah designs interest you most?
I'd like to see some of his floorstanders tested although they probably exceed the price criteria of the OP.
I bought and will be building the Chiarezza kit when I get my tools in order and take care of some other projects. I'm really hoping they sound fantastic and would measure well. The drivers are definitely well reviewed.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see some of his floorstanders tested although they probably exceed the price criteria of the OP.
I bought and will be building the Chiarezza kit when I get my tools in order and take care of some other projects. I'm really hoping they sound fantastic and would measure well. The drivers are definitely well reviewed.

Already did the Integrity here with @Selah Audio ...

and Erin tested the Purezza. Rick Craig knows Erin, so at this point the best bet is if he wants to send something bigger to Erin. :cool:

incredible80

Have anyone review the Jeff Bagby Revolution (SB15CAC)? How do they compare to the Revolution Mini (MW13)?

xarkkon

@Rick Sykora is this something you're still doing? I recently started getting interested in Bagby's Helix Dome MTMs. Was surprised to see >90 db sensitivity down to 40 hz on bookshelf speakers. I'm much more used to seeing sub 85 db sensitivity with the XLS Encore and C Notes. Is this something you would consider building? (Well, when DIYSG finally gets some stock, which who knows when that would happen...)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora is this something you're still doing? I recently started getting interested in Bagby's Helix Dome MTMs. Was surprised to see >90 db sensitivity down to 40 hz on bookshelf speakers. I'm much more used to seeing sub 85 db sensitivity with the XLS Encore and C Notes. Is this something you would consider building? (Well, when DIYSG finally gets some stock, which who knows when that would happen...)

It is a little bigger than would normally consider, but if membership wants to fund, would be willing. :)

xarkkon

It is a little bigger than would normally consider, but if membership wants to fund, would be willing. :)
Ah! I would if I were in the States and can easily have it shipped back to me after. Darned international shipping rates...

01svtL

Not that this adds much to the conversation, but I'm considering building the Helix or Apollo TM into the Denovo flatpack on PE. When DIYSG gets them back in stock, that is.

Reactions: Zvu

itsikhefez

Just finished a Cinetor Evo.
I don't like p2p for the cross-over so made a PCB for it.
Also not great at woodworking so bought ready cabs from a professional woodshop... not cheap but worth it!
They are bigger than I expected.... will give them a listen over the next few days.

I use ARTA occasionally, so ran a signal through the crossover and measured the FR.
The product page indicates the crossover frequency at 1750Hz...
In my measurements the lines cross at 1850, close enough I guess.

I've also got a UMIK but haven't used it seriously yet.. I may try to take a measurement from the speaker itself.

Attachments

• 2021-10-12 22.24.43.png
    2021-10-12 22.24.43.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 339
  • 2021-10-13 09.46.37.png
    2021-10-13 09.46.37.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 630
  • 2021-10-14 17.59.01.png
    2021-10-14 17.59.01.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 359
  • Ch2-Both.png
    Ch2-Both.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 365

heraldo_jones

Also not great at woodworking so bought ready cabs from a professional woodshop... not cheap but worth it!
They are bigger than I expected.... will give them a listen over the next few days.

I use ARTA occasionally, so ran a signal through the crossover and measured the FR.

I've also got a UMIK but haven't used it seriously yet.. I may try to take a measurement from the speaker itself.
Finish looks really beautiful, would love to see final measurements.

Reactions: 617

TabCam

Your UMIK is good enough for at home but reliable low frequency measurement is a real problem in normal circumstances and almost nobody will measure at about 18 meters in the air without walls in the neighborhood.

Once you are happy with the build and the UMIK measurements conform that happiness, send them either to Amir or to Erin. They have the equipment to also measure the lower frequencies

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Made a fair dent in getting some representation for DIY designs in Amir's reviews. Like many of you, would still like to see how a LXmini fairs in a spin, but am busy with Directiva.

Directiva r2 is being designed to be extensible, so should allow other types of speakers to be developed and tested. So, even if nobody loans a LXmini to Amir, should be able to design a dipole that he could try. Since Directiva is my planned way to continue to support future testing of DIY speakers for ASR, any other DIY designs are opportunistic at this point. With supply chain issues affecting some of the other DIY candidates, it may be a while before other known designs are built and tested, So, my thought is to continue with the Directiva effort for now.

If you have ideas for future Directiva projects, let me know.

Thanks!

Rick

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MTG Designs AlTi DIY. 8.9 preference score w/ sub + EQ tested by MTG.

As mentioned earlier, have moved my efforts into the Directiva project.

That said, if someone wants to fund or send me one to build, I will arrange for Amir to test.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading the LGK review, I am curious to see how this wall mount design using a 3.5" VIFA driver will fare.
The VIFAntastisch: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-267-246.html

Seems like it would be about as wretched as the other single driver system Amir recently measured. If you hate treble and loathe bass, that's about the only use case for using a single midrange driver: Cheap bluetooth speakers, a soundbar maybe, car audio on a base model vehicle.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like it would be about as wretched as the other single driver system Amir recently measured. If you hate treble and loathe bass, that's about the only use case for using a single midrange driver: Cheap bluetooth speakers, a soundbar maybe, car audio on a base model vehicle.

I think this is a bit harsh, it's just a little vifa 9cm driver in an interesting BLH/transmission line.

Measuring wall mounted speakers should be a priority for ASR, however. In-walls offer better performance but are not common - people who want high performance will probably get freestanding units, and people who are value conscious are going to get soundbars and so on.

Measuring soundbars could be fascinating. In fact, it's probably the area where the most innovation is happening in loudspeaker design.

Top Bottom