• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Vote for your favorite DIY speaker to be tested

• Bagby Adelphos/Kairos

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • Bagby Helix Dome MT

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Bagby SB Revolution Mini

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Campbell-Holtz Micro Statements

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • Carmody Overnight Sensations

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Carmody Speedster

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Dayton Audio C-Notes

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Heissmann DXT-mon

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Linkwitz LXmini

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Seas Loki

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

dlinsley

Forum Donor
I contacted Eric at Diysoundgroup about sending in one of theirs.l He mentioned possible the HTM12.
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-...-series/home-theater-monitors/htm-12-kit.html
The make a good effort to do quite a lot of measurements.
http://www.hificircuit.com/community/threads/htm-speaker-kits.609/

I'm coming into this late, but I was talking to Amir today about measuring the speakers I built, while handing over some surround processors to test- I didn't know about this thread until now. I built three of the DIYSG Titan 615LX, from the baltic birch flat packs, and would be willing to drive one over. They don't fit the original criteria (about $700 each with flat packs and are huge), and I never finished the outside as they are hidden behind my AT screen, but I'd love to know how close they get to JBLs :)

Jon AA

Forum Donor
I'm coming into this late, but I was talking to Amir today about measuring the speakers I built, while handing over some surround processors to test- I didn't know about this thread until now. I built three of the DIYSG Titan 615LX, from the baltic birch flat packs, and would be willing to drive one over. They don't fit the original criteria (about $700 each with flat packs and are huge), and I never finished the outside as they are hidden behind my AT screen, but I'd love to know how close they get to JBLs :)
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about offering one of mine to Amir to measure when they're done (paint is still drying) as I'm also in the Seattle area (not very realistic to ship this speaker). This is definitely a speaker Amir should measure--anybody with a few clamps and a bottle of glue can reproduce it for a very reasonable price so it's very "relevant" to the market. And for the people looking for something "acoustically interesting," some big ol' horns ought to make them smile! And finally, a speaker that'll beat the Salon2...in an SPL contest, at least. :cool:

I don't know if it makes any difference on how it would fit on his Klippel, but mine have the narrow flatpacks (more square-ish 19.5X15.5" base), IIRC yours are the wide ones.

dlinsley

Forum Donor
Another local build! Yes, mine are the wide but shallow variant as I thought I'd only have around 14" behind the screen wall.

Your description of the ease of build is spot on, and that Erich has the kits and narrow flat packs back in stock makes these even more interesting to measure IMO.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be cool to see tests for a frugel horn 3 with mark audio alpair 7cm full range transducers.

Mudjock

Audio Company
I would like to see the HiVi DIY 3.1A as well. Ideally with the "perfectionist crossover" - but I am biased as it's my design.

Among my other designs, there a lot of Helium builds out there, so that would be a candidate. I really think more people should be interested in the Rhodium design as a high end desktop speaker or small monitor/satellite - smaller than the Speedster with a little less bass, but a more refined sound at a good price.

Mudjock

Audio Company
I don't know how many of you are aware here, but Jeff Bagby passed away this week - a tremendous loss to the audio community.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how many of you are aware here, but Jeff Bagby passed away this week - a tremendous loss to the audio community.

Yes, Jeff was talented and prolific.

His passing is a great loss. :(

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been keeping an eye out for another inexpensive kit to build, but many are out of stock.

Trade wars and virus most likely caused a double hit on production. :(

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BOSE ... Is it really as bad as its reputation??

Depends what you want out of a speaker. Also not DIY unless you get into their decently large aftermarket repair market.

xarkkon

I know it's too late, but throwing another name into the mix. Philharmonic BMR! Just occurred to me that I'd like to see a review after Dennis Murphy popped up in the Elac Reference thread.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know it's too late, but throwing another name into the mix. Philharmonic BMR! Just occurred to me that I'd like to see a review after Dennis Murphy popped up in the Elac Reference thread.

I thought he was getting out of the business?

Usernome

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not too late, as the BMR Philharmonitor has been on my personal list before it was DIY. As of now, there are a few hurdles. The ribbon availability is questionable and so Meniscus no longer has a posted price. While he is out of the businesss, checked with Dennis and he pointed out that the BMR already has been through the Spinorama.

So, ASR’s best bet may be a member loan. I have not put out a call as Amir has a major speaker testing backlog. For now, am considering it opportunistic and will continue to monitor. :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to see the HiVi DIY 3.1A as well. Ideally with the "perfectionist crossover" - but I am biased as it's my design.

Among my other designs, there a lot of Helium builds out there, so that would be a candidate. I really think more people should be interested in the Rhodium design as a high end desktop speaker or small monitor/satellite - smaller than the Speedster with a little less bass, but a more refined sound at a good price.

Welcome to ASR and thanks for sharing! I think the HiVi 3.1A is a great candidate.

If you have one to loan, can help offset the shipping costs to Amir. :)

Really like your Matrix Revolutions too, but size is a major constraint for testing.

Last edited:

Severian

Forum Donor
It was only for a short time at an audio show, but the Philharmonic BMR is the best stand-mount speaker I have ever heard.

xarkkon

It is not too late, as the BMR Philharmonitor has been on my personal list before it was DIY. As of now, there are a few hurdles. The ribbon availability is questionable and so Meniscus no longer has a posted price. While he is out of the businesss, checked with Dennis and he pointed out that the BMR already has been through the Spinorama.

So, ASR’s best bet may be a member loan. I have not put out a call as Amir has a major speaker testing backlog. For now, am considering it opportunistic and will continue to monitor. :)
A pity about the ribbon availability. I was just considering building one myself when I encountered Dennis' comment about RAAL is Serbia being hit by the lockdown. Fingers crossed someone has them and would be willing to send them across (and that Covid ends soon).

Regardless, sounds like there's still a whole list of speaker reviews to look forward to!

Top Bottom