• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Vote for your favorite DIY speaker to be tested

• Bagby Adelphos/Kairos

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • Bagby Helix Dome MT

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Bagby SB Revolution Mini

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Campbell-Holtz Micro Statements

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • Carmody Overnight Sensations

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Carmody Speedster

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Dayton Audio C-Notes

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Heissmann DXT-mon

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Linkwitz LXmini

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Seas Loki

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"thin"? No way! That's $1,300 per foot silver-plated speaker wire! :p

Sorry, I missed that special wire. Am upgrading my original recommendation to the high-end mono headphone thread!

D

Deleted member 2944

Personally, I am pretty much only interested in DIY speakers for the simple reason they are pretty much the only way I can afford something approaching decent hifi. Also speakers like the LXmini simply don't exist as commercially available off-the-shelf products. Whether the 'audiophile community' respects DIY builds just proves that many people have a lot more money than sense. This is just hifi as status symbol/lifestyle accessory.
Actually, the LXmini 'does' exist as a commercially available off-the-shelf product. In fact, it's been available for a few years now. Not cheap though. :)

My point regarding this was, speakers tend to fall in three categories:

1. Personal DIY efforts (these are probably one-off, seat-of-the-pants efforts.)
2. DIY "kits" available for a well-sorted published design.
3. Full-blown commercial speakers. (the vast majority.)

The first and third categories are rather large, the second category not so much. IMHO.
I think Amir should not be interested in testing the first category, for obvious reasons. Category two speakers would be of interest, but there aren't many, and they're generally aimed at a specific (not broad) application. (The LXmini would be one of those.)
And commercial speakers, which are obviously available to any of us and encompass a broad range of types.

Dave.

VeerK

Definitely want to throw in my support for a Linkwitz design, and also Ascend Acoustics. The latter has used measurements to support their brand for a while, would be nice to see what Amir finds there. Selah as well, any notable Bagby

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be tricky to balance that on the measurement platform. Is the main tube closed at the bottom or open? And how top heavy is it?
I believe it's closed at the bottom. How top heavy it is will vary with the choices made by the builder.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the realm of DIY speakers, I’m most interested in designs that are testing some sort of unique concept. That could be a unique driver or unique design (like Linkwitz). DIY based on proven designs that are similar to commercial offerings seems less interesting, though I’m sure there’s a community that would value it.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
DIY based on proven designs that are similar to commercial offerings seems less interesting
Some of the most popular DIY designs are 'classic 3-way bookshelf' speakers. Partly, no-doubt, due to many of the 50+ demographic having aspired to them in their youth. And, although certainly proven designs, there are few commercially available designs of this type left due to being rather less profitable compared to a similar sized 2-way.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Actually, the LXmini 'does' exist as a commercially available off-the-shelf product.
OK, perhaps they were not the best example. I know there has sprung up quite a cottage industry around Linkwitz' designs recently. But as you know the LXminis were originally meant to be an inexpensive build using parts available from your local home improvement emporium and easily assembled by anyone without extensive woodworking skills or a fully equipped workshop.
1. Personal DIY efforts (these are probably one-off, seat-of-the-pants efforts.)
2. DIY "kits" available for a well-sorted published design.
3. Full-blown commercial speakers. (the vast majority.)

The first and third categories are rather large, the second category not so much.
I may be wrong but I would think the second category is orders of magnitude larger than the first. Certainly the third category is largest. The challenge here is to weed out the acoustically interesting – and preferably affordable – designs from the purely decorative.
I think Amir should not be interested in testing the first category, for obvious reasons.
Agreed.
Category two speakers would be of interest, but there aren't many, and they're generally aimed at a specific (not broad) application.
From where I'm sitting there are at least as many interesting kits available as there are commercial designs. At least at a price point I would even begin to consider.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, the poll is up, so please start to vote!

Note that I took some editorial discretion as the forum software only allows 10 entries. My Zaphs did not make as I will do and supply to Amir. In some cases, I substituted a close equivalent to meet the candidate criteria (often either price or size). Will add or delete entries once we get a little run time and some get tested or no votes.

As I checked availability, in case you ever pondered them (I did!) I noted that the BMR Philharmonitor is now available at Meniscus as a kit. Seemed like a great value as a COTS speaker, so if you are looking for a great value in a 3-way DIY monitor, check it out. :)

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Leaving the poll up while I gather some more input. The LXmini has the lead by far, but would need some serious support for Amir to test. C-note availability is out until end of April. Not sure about DXT-mon as it seems pricey and thought Heissman might be sending. I am building a ZA-5 for test. So if I update poll...

We have an empty poll slot as Helix dome MT has no votes. If I yank C-notes for now too, what else interests you? Any thought on PE’s Samba? Others?

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a pair of Overnight Sensations and a pair of DIYSG S2000s (also Carmody designed), used nearfield. Subjectively I think the S2000s sound better. I also have a pair of Jeff Bagby's Quarks, and a pair of Helix MTs half-finished.

I think it'd be worth measuring the OS and the C-notes as (with sales and coupons) both kits can be done for about 100$ and are very popular.

Carmody states he voices his speakers by ear to the sound he likes. I'm pretty sure Bagby has said the same. This tells me not to expect ruler flat response which may hurt these on objective scores.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Leaving the poll up while I gather some more input......We have an empty poll slot as Helix dome MT has no votes....Others?

The HiVi DIY 2.2a or 3.1 have a couple of recommendations in this thread already. With their Asian heritage they would present a contrast to the others in the survey. There has been some measurement of the 3.1 already posted elsewhere, but I have not seen any on the 2.2a except those done by HiVi.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NOTE: Current poll will close on February 14. please finalize your votes!

Will update with new poll after current one is closed :cool:.

xarkkon

Some really good suggestions out there! Particularly the LX Mini and C Note suggestions.

Any love for GR Research? Heard loads about the NX Oticas and they look awesome. Curious about how they sound though.

peanuts

i suspect most people in here, of the more "constant directivity" crowd is not going to understand lxmini. your going to see lots and somewhat random activity in the back..
also amir`s listening sessions is with a single speaker. imo lxmini cant be listened to that way, the whole point is how the pair integrate together acoustically, which gives it is great imaging properties.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any love for GR Research? Heard loads about the NX Oticas and they look awesome. Curious about how they sound though.
I am game for testing them. Someone needs to facilitate getting them to me though. So how about contacting him and asking?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i suspect most people in here, of the more "constant directivity" crowd is not going to understand lxmini. your going to see lots and somewhat random activity in the back..
also amir`s listening sessions is with a single speaker. imo lxmini cant be listened to that way, the whole point is how the pair integrate together acoustically, which gives it is great imaging properties.
Measurements are measurements. You all can interpret them differently than the majority. It is not like I will only be performing subjective testing.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

At this point, it is progress to have a common test environment for comparing speakers. Not sure about members overall, but am not expecting speaker measurements will fully characterize all major aspects of what we hear. While a single speaker should sound good in mono, I have never heard a speaker that sounds better in mono. However, I will point out that over 99% of my music is not in mono. Am not sure whether Linkwitz shared anything about mono. His dipole designs are about “illuminating the room neutrally” and this is not exclusive to stereo. He was generally positive about multi-channel listening too. See here: http://linkwitzlab.com/surround_system.htm

Top Bottom