• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Vote for your favorite DIY speaker to be tested

• Bagby Adelphos/Kairos

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • Bagby Helix Dome MT

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Bagby SB Revolution Mini

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Campbell-Holtz Micro Statements

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • Carmody Overnight Sensations

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Carmody Speedster

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Dayton Audio C-Notes

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Heissmann DXT-mon

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Linkwitz LXmini

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Seas Loki

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After kicking around with Amir on how I can help make palatable to him, we want to get your thoughts on how ASR might support DIY speaker reviews.

Here is the initial proposal:
  1. Create a prioritized list of candidate DIY speakers based on forum input. Speakers must be commercially-available designs. Initially, to keep costs reasonable, will only be accepting nominations for bookshelf speakers (15 liters or half a cubic foot) or smaller. Also the cost per pair would be limited to about $300 (revised to $800 or less). Cabinet costs would be included but labor would not. If design kit does not include cabinet, its cost would be based on comparably-sized knock-down cabinets available from Parts Express (PE).
  2. Based on the list, purchase kit (for whenever possible) a single speaker and I will build and test it in REW to ensure parts are good and no major build issues. I plan to donate my time to build the test speakers, but will need membership to help offset cost of parts, materials and shipping (to Amir). When cabinet is not supplied as part of kit, I will build one from designer's spec using MDF. Completed unit is then shipped to Amir to be tested. Please note that I originally intended to paint the speaker with Duratec, but as it adds time and cost, I no longer plan to do so.
  3. If a member has already built a known DIY design, we would accept it for testing if you can supply proof that is was built to the design spec and is operating properly. Proper operation details are TBD but would likely be the same as the REW verification test I would perform on a brand new build. Shipping arrangements would follow the same arrangement as a vendor COTS speaker loaned to ASR currently does.

As an example, I have build several Zaph ZA5 designs. They are available as kits from Madisound without cabinets. A kit for pair of ZA5.2 MTs is about $292 (with binding posts) and pair of cabinets would be about $50 (from PE). So, assuming free shipping to me, the total cost is about $342. For ASR testing, we would only build one, so would be $171 and then my cost to ship to Amir would add another $50. So total cost for supplying one ZA5.2 speaker to ASR would be roughly $271. Updated to reflect actual shipping cost

Finally, while there are major contributors to DIY speakers outside the US, I must admit I have limited experience with them. So I welcome help from the membership to ensure valuable global representation in this effort.

Please forgive the longish post and please share your thoughts on this proposal.

I look forward to help making it a reality!

Thanks,

Ww

Last edited:

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is a good idea, since you've built a few Zaph ZA5 designs, will these be available to measure?

TimW

Major Contributor
I am currently listening to a pair of Parts Express C-Note speakers. I did some REW measurements of them to verify they are in working order recently. What measurements should I perform to prove they are so? I live a couple hours north of Amir and can get them to him the same way I have with other equipment in the past.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a good idea, since you've built a few Zaph ZA5 designs, will these be available to measure?

I am planning to supply a ZA5.2 MT for testing. My other ones are the MTMs and the center. They are a bit pricier than the proposed acceptance criteria, but will see if there is enough interest...

Ww

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are GR Research products still pertinent?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are GR Research products still pertinent?

I would say so, but up to forum so please nominate specific speakers.

Thanks!

Ww

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Selah Audio RC3R in for review. Is this the same thing?

Same Selah, but he has been prolific as well. He has discontinued the RC3R. He does provide some DIY but also completed speakers. Not sure which this was. Ww

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
At the risk of clogging up the subfora here with cross-postings, maybe this is the place to mention these...?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...wered-monitor-review.11076/page-2#post-313083

1580076065975.png

(those are two different, optional drivers available with the "kit"; Fostex doesn't - AFAIK - sell a mismatched version :cool:)

Top Bottom