• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which devices do I need for digital multi channel output?

Edgar

Forum Donor
Currently I watch movies and listen to music mostly on my PC with active stereo PC speakers. I use only the Line Out (green) 3.5mm connector.
My PC has analoge 3.5mm outputs for 2 channel, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1.
It also has an Optical S/PDIF output. And obviously USB.

If I would connect just two "normal" speakers then things would be easy.
Even if I would connect 4 to 7 amps and speakers and subs to the analoge outputs everything seems to be straightforward.

But now I think about buying some nice speakers. I have the JBL 705P and/or 708P in mind. They have analoge balanced XLR inputs. And they have digital AES3 input.
The speakers have built in DSP with lots of features. I am almost sure that the speakers will convert any analoge input to digital.
Here is a review: JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Probably I will start with two of these speakers. But I want to know already my options if I want to connect 4 or even more speakers.

I am sure the internal DAC in my PC is far away from perfect. For that reason I think it's not a good idea to let my PC convert the output to analoge, then use analoge cable connections and then let the speaker convert that analoge signal to digital again.
I think it would be a lot better to use the digital output from my PC and connect it to the digital speaker inputs.
It seems it's not difficult to convert S/PDIF to AES3. So if I would only play stereo music then I guess I could convert the S/PDIF to AES3, then use cables with digital signals to the speakers and that should bring the best possible sound quality. I should be able to control the volume on my PC.

Things get more complicated with playing movies with multi channel sound. What do I need to do that with good sound quality?
As far as I know the S/PDIF output is only good for two channels so that won't work.
Which output would I use for digital multi channel audio? HDMI? Or USB with some converter?

I found online AV Surround Receivers and the good once have multiple balanced XLR audio outputs. Obviously I could use them to connect to the analoge inputs of the speakers. But how about digital AES3 outputs on such devices? I didn't see any of them on those AV Surround Receivers.
So my main question is: What do I need to play multi channel movie sound on those speakers if I want to use the digital inputs?
The source of the videos will be mostly my PC. But it could also be a Blu Ray Player or Netflix or something similar.

Thanks!

OP
Edgar

Edgar

Forum Donor
Thanks, that looks good. And 325 USD is also not too bad.

sleepyboy69

Hi, I have a similar situation, sorry if I am hijacking the thread:

- Is there a better solution to this for a 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2 system? (Currently just 2.0)
- If no, can the cable provided by miniDSP be extended without issues?​

- Is there any streamer that will output 2.0 AES3?

I am looking to hook up a pair of S3V to my computer, if possible wirelessly.

Thanks in advance.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
MiniDSP SHD Power + two powered subs - gets you to a proper 2.2 with the least amount of fuss, and adds Dirac as icing on top. If MiniDSP ever swaps TPA3255 for Hypex in that thing - it will be - a SOTA, one and done, device for a LOT of people.

Top Bottom