• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

which DACs handle intersample overs properly?

bennetng

Major Contributor

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The availability of processing headroom for >0 dBFS peaks definitely doesn't follow the DAC pecking order, that's for sure. Not sure whether there's any kind of exhaustive list, but one example I do remember:
Xonar D1 w/ CS4398 - DAC does have headroom
vs.
Xonar D2 w/ PCM1796 - DAC does not

IMHO a fair comparison of dynamic range should be taking this into account, even if it's just 2-3 dB.

BTW - the distortion of some of these older CD players even at exactly 0 dBFS is pretty meh. I mean, barely under -60 dB THD for a 997 Hz tone? Not exactly awe-inspiring, especially when the 1980s discman scores -82 dB (a perfectly decent value given the age of this portable device). :facepalm:

bennetng

Major Contributor
I still remembered at that time no one believed Xonar D2 could rival or even exceed Lynx TWO and RME HDSP 9632 in RMAA tests and accused Asus cheated by using "Analog Loopback Transformation". Perhaps you can show the RMAA results using a real cable to prove Asus was right.

I visited your website. Too bad you got the Audigy FX, if it is RX then you can potentially install kX Driver with a lot of things to play with.

Top Bottom