• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hope maybe you can get your hands on the new iFi micro iDSD Signature model when it's available - https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-idsd-signature/

Not that it will do any better than the Black Label, but who knows ;)
Reading head-fi the power on SE and 4.4mm is the same. It appears to be "S- balanced" for supposedly better crosstalk. But besides this new connector there is very little difference with the old model, probably measures very similarly. Their whole signature line seems pretty lousy/meh, they just tell you that they use better internal components and you'll just have to believe them at that :confused:

Jestercow

I'll add another vote for the Fiio Q3! Mine should be delivered early next week and I've no qualms sending it off to Amir for testing. Let me know :)

Asylum Seeker

Cellphones and dongles.

Might not be super useful with most major phone manufacturers purposefully choosing to exclude something the majority of their users own without using a dongle (wired headphones) but I'll bet some here shop for older phones with headphone jacks and avoid the dozen dongle life.

Hopefully those that like the lack of a headphone jack enjoy their extra 15mAh of battery life, about 1.08 minutes.

Not sure how many people use computers as a source, and it would likely be a burden unless someone helped, but graphics cards and audio cars perhaps if there are really common ones.
The GSM Arena database reveals that 416 smartphones have been released in 2020 so far. Of those 313 have headphone jacks. There is no shortage of good smartphones at all price brackets with headphone jacks. I myself bought two in the last few months.

Ongii

ESI Gigaport EX
https://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaportex/

gex.jpg

• USB 3.1 Audio Interface with USB-C connector (different connection cables included)
  • USB 2.0 compatible
  • 24-bit / 192 kHz D/A converter with 114dB dynamic range (A-weighted), available on all output channels
  • 8 independent output channels with -10dBV RCA connectors
  • 2 independent stereo headphone outputs: 1st output sends l out mixed signal of all playback channels, 2nd output l sends out different signal from playback channel 1/2
  • compatible with Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 and OS X / macOS
  • supports ASIO 2.0, WDM, MME with our EWDM drivers as well as CoreAudio

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a tube. In a DAC.
If it measures well, what's the point? If it measures badly, again, what is the point

Veri

Master Contributor
If it measures well, what's the point? If it measures badly, again, what is the point
My point is that DACs are truly a "solved" commodity. I wouldn't spend money on a tube DAC ever, but that's just my view on it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My point is that DACs are truly a "solved" commodity. I wouldn't spend money on a tube DAC ever, but that's just my view on it.
Totally agree. What I meant was, what purpose could adding a tube to a DAC fulfil other than adding some of that tubey distortion and glow. If it doesnt have significant distortion, why put it in there ? If it does, its probably not going to be the DAC for ASR members, lets put it that way.

Veri

Master Contributor
Totally agree. What I meant was, what purpose could adding a tube to a DAC fulfil other than adding some of that tubey distortion and glow. If it doesnt have significant distortion, why put it in there ? If it does, its probably not going to be the DAC for ASR members, lets put it that way.
I misread your post :) I thought you meant, if it measures well it's fine. But there's really zero sense to add a tube stage in a DAC, utter madness more like it :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Those Douk products are cheap and neat, I wonder what they are worth.
If you need passive switches or pre, things that usually will work "fine", go for it. I tried some of their dac/amp products and honestly the QC from these "noname" aliexpress type of brands is terrible. I wouldn't recommend going for them when there's trusted brands like topping/smsl etc. It's really like playing roulette :p

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you need passive switches or pre, things that usually will work "fine", go for it. I tried some of their dac/amp products and honestly the QC from these "noname" aliexpress type of brands is terrible. I wouldn't recommend going for them when there's trusted brands like topping/smsl etc. It's really like playing roulette :p

Before I was looking for a passive pre with IR and volume display; XLR out was a bonus.
This item has it all.
Now that I have a D90, I'm either set with it's variable volume (in pre mode). Other option is, use the D90 in dac mode and put an active pre (why not the Topping next month) in between, to see if it makes any difference.

Top Bottom