• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

john61ct

I am using the unbalanced 3.5mm. I briefly considered getting a balanced cable but baulked at what seems a $70 or so ridiculous price.
Would be worth every penny, but there are cheaper options, especially DIY.

Turns the headphone amp side of the 5K into a completely different beast, like adding the Periodic Nickel - which would cost you $300 and be a (small but annoying for portable) added trinket on the chain.

Parzival

I have finished measuring the following DACs:

1. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with Gen V USB board but old analog board
2. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with Gen V USB board and new analog board
3. Berkeley Alpha DAC (original version)
4. Chord Hugo 2 DAC

I have to capture the graphs, add text, etc. so can't do all of them at once. Right now I am ready to go with #1 but if you all are anxious for others, I can put that aside and do the others.

In your inimitable style, please decifer the performance claims of chord Hugo TT and the chord mscaler pre-dac.
Are these products really as good as the chord fanboys say and the literature / videos being put out by the chord designer (Mr. Watts) illustrate?
All their discussions about taps, sinc function, BNC connectors look very convincing yet elitist to me and I can’t understand it enough to consider a plunge into their expensive ecosystem. It might be a costly mistake to make if all of it is pure luxury marketing.

AllanDavidson

@amirm Apollo Twin X (Duo or Quad)

they boast some really high specs, I would be nice to know how good they actually are ADC/DAC/AMP wise

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Apollo Twin X (Duo or Quad)

they boast some really high specs, I would be nice to know how good they actually are ADC/DAC/AMP wise
They may be but I don't have $900+ to buy them. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Dodo974

Hoping you can get your hands on the new SU-9 when it releases.
On SMSL official facebook page's, they say's:

"The long-awaited S.M.S.L SU-9 priced $439.99 will be officially launched at 10:00 am (UTC+8) on September 30th, at the same time, pre-order would be opened at that time, and about to delivered on October 10th. Different from SU-8, the previous generation, the overall design of SU-9 is more fashionable, not only greatly improves other parameters, but also adds the most popular MQA format at present. What’s worthing, It adapts the ES9038PRO decoding chip, the top flagship performance of ESS Technology, supports Bluetooth 5.0 transmission as well. #MQATakeMeThere "

Veri

Master Contributor
"The long-awaited S.M.S.L SU-9 priced $439.99 will be officially launched at 10:00 am (UTC+8) on September 30th, at the same time, pre-order would be opened at that time, and about to delivered on October 10th. Different from SU-8, the previous generation, the overall design of SU-9 is more fashionable, not only greatly improves other parameters, but also adds the most popular MQA format at present. What’s worthing, It adapts the ES9038PRO decoding chip, the top flagship performance of ESS Technology, supports Bluetooth 5.0 transmission as well. #MQATakeMeThere "

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The now rather long in the tooth Cambridge cxn v2, but it's just not worth shipping from UK and its too integral to my rig. But I'd pay some or all of the delivery costs of someone closer to you sending it in.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Would be worth every penny, but there are cheaper options, especially DIY.

Turns the headphone amp side of the 5K into a completely different beast, like adding the Periodic Nickel - which would cost you $300 and be a (small but annoying for portable) added trinket on the chain.
Re: Qudelix 5k - balanced output.
Yes - what a difference balanced out makes on the Qudelix 5k with my HE400i!

I finally broke down and bought a balanced cable for $42. Ugh. What a rip-off. But what a difference! Bass can be ear shattering - even with -6 db EQ headroom.

Hopefully, when Amir tests his new unit, both balanced and unbalanced will be fully tested.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I rarely post to forums, but I really appreciate what you're doing here and I regularly read your reviews. I'm the Chief Architect for Universal Audio, I could see if I can get you a loaner, if you're interested.
That would be great! Please start a conversation with me and we can take it from there. And thanks for your kind words and participation here.

Top Bottom