• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Asylum Seeker

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The only thing unique about it is the EQ. In all other respects, it has a handful of competitors. I've asked for the similar Fiio BTR5 to be tested here for months...

System-wide parametric EQ that can be used with any app, including streaming services is a huge feature. Apart from actually changing your headphones/speakers, nothing will improve the sound quality you hear more than well-implemented parametric EQ. This wirelessly controlled PEQ via a smartphone app, combined with optional LDAC and aptX Adaptive Bluetooth, and max 4 Vrms balanced output makes it a unique device. There is nothing else currently out there that has all this capability in a tiny portable device.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

System-wide parametric EQ that can be used with any app, including streaming services is a huge feature. Apart from actually changing your headphones/speakers, nothing will improve the sound quality you hear more than well-implemented parametric EQ. This wirelessly controlled PEQ via a smartphone app, combined with optional LDAC and aptX Adaptive Bluetooth, and max 4 Vrms balanced output makes it a unique device. There is nothing else currently out there that has all this capability in a tiny portable device.
Not really. The PEQ is the only unique feature, one that I and many others simply don't need. Niche within a niche is more like it.

hege

Forum Donor

Btw AD2 has new hardware revision with updated AK4495 DAC. I've been pondering about it occasionally, so now it was a good reason to order one. I verified from Marian that all new stock from dealers are these.

I'll use it for PC crossover/EQ, AES to my Genelecs, analogs to sub amp. Only measuring I can and will do is a loopback test. :)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Not really. The PEQ is the only unique feature, one that I and many others simply don't need. Niche within a niche is more like it.

On its own, technically the PEQ is not actually a unique feature for portable devices. There's also the miniDSP IL-DSP and the PowerDAC V2. Unfortunately the former is rendered almost useless due to issues with incorrect implementation of the EQ filters which can lead to clipping, and bizarrely for a mobile device it has no app so you have to connect it to a PC to make any changes to the EQ, which severely limits its utility. The PowerDAC on the other hand has fairly high distortion, and requires a power bank when used with a phone. Oh and neither have Bluetooth.

If you've never tried parametric EQing I highly recommend it. It really can turn an average or even poor headphone/IEM into a good or great one, and it is certainly not a niche use case. More and more people are seeing how much it can benefit their headphones with brilliant resources like professional acoustic engineer (and redditor) Oratory's huge database of highly accurate measurements and parametric EQ profiles. I see you have the Tin Audio T3's, which definitely look like they could benefit from well-implemented EQ, and Oratory has created PEQ profiles for. There's free PEQ software for PC (e.g. Equalizer APO together with Peace GUI), or mobile apps like Neutron Player and UAPP which both have adjustable PEQ and free trials so you can test it out for yourself.

Fishie

Hey, I would love to see more measurements of DAPs, especially those by Astell&Kern and Sony as there is such a huge market out there. Many head fi forums have been flooded with advertisements with these DAPs.

Namely, Astell&Kern SP2000/SP1000/SA700, Sony WM-1Z/WM-1A, Cayin N8/N6ii, Lotoo PAW Gold Touch, this list can go on forever as there are too many of them in the market now. Prove me it is completely worthless to purchase any of these DAPs! :)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
+1 on the Qudelix 5k for Amir review - for sure. I just got one, and functionally it's been a much better experience than the ES100 and BTR I returned. The app works simultaneously via bt on the same Android 8 phone ( a $29 TracFone LG Rebel) while also operating as a USB DAC via a charging OTG cable. Neat. And while it barely has enough oomph to drive my HE400i, the PEQ has made a definite improvement to my HE400i non-eq experience. (If I keep it, which so far it seems I will, the power issue will be solved with the addition of my NX3s - definitely needed with the same LG Rebel before w/HE400i)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
+1 on the Qudelix 5k for Amir review - for sure. I just got one, and functionally it's been a much better experience than the ES100 and BTR I returned. The app works simultaneously via bt on the same Android 8 phone ( a $29 TracFone LG Rebel) while also operating as a USB DAC via a charging OTG cable. Neat. And while it barely has enough oomph to drive my HE400i, the PEQ has made a definite improvement to my HE400i non-eq experience. (If I keep it, which so far it seems I will, the power issue will be solved with the addition of my NX3s - definitely needed with the same LG Rebel before w/HE400i)

Are you using the 2.5mm balanced or 3.5mm unbalanced output on the Qudelix 5K with your HE400i?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Are you using the 2.5mm balanced or 3.5mm unbalanced output on the Qudelix 5K with your HE400i?
I am using the unbalanced 3.5mm. I briefly considered getting a balanced cable but baulked at what seems a $70 or so ridiculous price.

Anyway, I usually use my HE400i with a Liquid Spark on desktop (seems fine to me) or if portable a NX3s ('almost' as satisfactory as the LS) so I will likely simply add that to the chain. Plus that should reduce load on the Qudelix (I'm suspecting - even though I don't hear audible distortion, the amp may be the weak link/limiting factor in this device, but we need amir's test to find out).

It's interesting that Qudelix provided 3 997HZ files and suggested using them to detect audible distortion back in their Application Note..

Attachments

• Qudelix-5K USB DAC AP Measurement.pdf
    979.2 KB · Views: 356
  • Qudelix-5K_Application_Note.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,318
Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I am using the unbalanced 3.5mm. I briefly considered getting a balanced cable but baulked at what seems a $70 or so ridiculous price.

Anyway, I usually use my HE400i with a Liquid Spark on desktop (seems fine to me) or if portable a NX3s ('almost' as satisfactory as the LS) so I will likely simply add that to the chain. Plus that should reduce load on the Qudelix (I'm suspecting - even though I don't hear audible distortion, the amp may be the weak link/limiting factor in this device, but we need amir's test to find out).

It's interesting that Qudelix provided 3 997HZ files and suggested using them to detect audible distortion back in their Application Note..

I'm sure you could find a balanced cable for $30 or so. One of the main advantages of the Qudelix 5K is the 4V max balanced output, which should be enough to directly drive pretty much any headphone, without having to add another amp.

taner

New Xiaomi Hifi Dac with fast charger port.

v2-6309b4ebfe026f55c0cb5ce0723fb94c_r.jpg

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/208258878

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I offered to buy one and send it in for test. Waiting for Amir to respond to my offer. I know he's swamped so I'll be patient. I like the red one:

Martin
So Martin ...
You will return your nice Red coloured dac :D
What's next :rolleyes:

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor

kailyASR

The Cambridge Audio NQ.

Only because its one of the few DAC/PreAmps that also has an input for HDMI ARC which I use for 2 channel listening off my TV and home entertainment system. And also because it costs 5K USD.

For 5000 dollars, I would like to know what I am getting.

The only other DAC/Preamp that is comparable in terms of features is the Nad C 658, which requires and optional add on HDMI card , but has dirac. This didn't really fare well in your reviews. It would be curious to see if Cambridge does any better, at 5 grand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom