• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

georgeT

I know I'm being repetitive but I think there are enough DAC measurements, I mean 90% already measure above distortion audibility. I know companies aren't making it easier by churning them out on a quarterly basis.
I believe ASR should focus more on amps/receivers and speakers within the reach of average consumers. Who here actually buys ML and Devialet amps or esoteric R2R DACs in the 10k region?

Veri

Master Contributor
I know I'm being repetitive but I think there are enough DAC measurements, I mean 90% already measure above distortion audibility. I know companies aren't making it easier by churning them out on a quarterly basis.
I believe ASR should focus more on amps/receivers and speakers within the reach of average consumers. Who here actually buys ML and Devialet amps or esoteric R2R DACs in the 10k region?
DAC measurements are already quite sporadic as of late, most reviews have been speaker/receiver related lately.
So no, the occasional DAC measurement will still have its place. I'm looking forward to @amirm reviewing the Okto Stereo DAC.

Monstieur

Another vote for the Steinberg UR44C.

Veri

Master Contributor
Does anyone know how this dac sound?
Pro-Ject DAC Box S https://www.amazon.de/Pro-Ject-DAC-externe-Soundkarte-schwarz/dp/B006GMJIN6/
Would like to pair it with SMSL SP200 + DT1990 and wonder if that dac is a bottleneck.

Product info: https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/BD-DACBoxSUSB-DE.pdf
It's a pretty old design but should be 'OK'. Nowadays a Topping E30 or cheaper one would have much more impressive specs, though. Would it be audible? Unsure..

N

nhatlam96

It's a pretty old design but should be 'OK'. Nowadays a Topping E30 or cheaper one would have much more impressive specs, though. Would it be audible? Unsure..
It says something with THD 0,005% and Crosstalk 95dB.
That crosstalk value is far above human hearing.
But I dont know how to rate this 0,005% THD value, it's not the same as THD+N.

Veri

Master Contributor
It says something with THD 0,005% and Crosstalk 95dB.
That crosstalk value is far above human hearing.
But I dont know how to rate this 0,005% THD value, it's not the same as THD+N.
I'm just saying, it's a pretty old chip, don't know how well its oversampling is, distortion spec is nothing impressive. I would say it's fine but not stellar.

daniel.v

hello all,
I am new here. I am really glad I found this forum, very good content and electronic audio analysis.

There are already plenty of DAC reviews. Massive!
I've read a lot of them but could not reach a single conclusion yet..of picking one to buy (available in my area/satisfying my requirements).
Nevertheless, I am curious also about the Emotiva PT100 Preamp/DAC or Emotiva - BasX TA-100 (same DAC as PT100).

Some measurements would mainly satisfy and mainly solve my uncertaintiesm uncovered by product manual/spec, and I would be grateful if you guys can tell me more about the sound of this DAC (or DAC+preamp).

Last edited:

dunkuk

I would like to see some "vintage" recording interfaces and DACs, which for audio gear means about 10 years old :)
I'm thinking EMU 0202 USB
Lexicon Alpha (because I use one)

Also is it possible to do this measurement with a CD player to compare? Could you burn the test tones onto a CD and play them?

I'd love to know how good these DACs are compared to a mid-range CD player from the 90s.

Matt Foley

Teac NT-505 Please.

Again, it has the AKM 4497 chip and connections to Esoteric in the Teac Family. Test it...I dare ya!

Music1969

Major Contributor
I love to measure it too. Had a friend that had one but I think he sold it. They are $10K I thought so quite a bit more money than Okto DAC8.

Since our earlier exchange, there's now Merging Anubis for USD$1799

https://vintageking.com/merging-technologies-anubis-pro

With their Pro Audio pedigree, would love to see how it measures.

Features ESS ES9026PRO chip, so would be interesting to see if it has ESS IMD 'hump'...

And it's only digital input is ethernet (using Merging's ASIO Ravenna/AES67 driver for Windows).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd love to see any of the Lampizator units measured. Something tells me they will measure on par or worse than Audio-GD.
I have a lead on their Pacific unit but with social distancing, it will be a while before I can connect with the owner.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Since our earlier exchange, there's now Merging Anubis for USD$1799

With their Pro Audio pedigree, would love to see how it measures.

Features ESS ES9026PRO chip, so would be interesting to see if it has ESS IMD 'hump'...

And it's only digital input is ethernet (using Merging's ASIO Ravenna/AES67 driver for Windows).
Thanks. I will be on the look out for it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Thanks. I will be on the look out for it.

If I am able to demo one (I'm not in the US so can't provide one to you) and since it features analogue input also, is it easy enough do measurements of the analogue output?

Is there a simple guide somewhere on the forum, for software required and the test files?

And are there issues with these loopback type measurements?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If I am able to demo one (I'm not in the US so can't provide one to you) and since it features analogue input also, is it easy enough do measurements of the analogue output?
I don't know how good its input is. Likely it will be a bottleneck and you will be seeing the sum distortion+noise of both. We had a thread on software measurements but I don't remember what it was called just now. Do a search on it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don't know how good its input is. Likely it will be a bottleneck and you will be seeing the sum distortion+noise of both. We had a thread on software measurements but I don't remember what it was called just now. Do a search on it.

Thanks. Can you link to the test files that you use?

I can try to dig around to find the easiest software to use.

Top Bottom