• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
In the spirit of the apple dongle and CCA, I'd love to see the DAC's in the Nvidia Shield Remotes headphone jacks tested. They have volume control and are designed to be used with gaming (and other) headsets.
Might be interesting to see if they embarass anybody.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
something not by ps audio ;)

i suspect there are dissenters from the ps audio side suddenly willing to send in their psa stuff as a psa for potential buyers, but for the rest of us.. :p

all24bits

I was recently at a headphone retailer here in Phoenix and had a chance to listen to some Audeze cans (LCD-3 and LCD-4Z) on them. I had never heard of SPL before this but I came away really impressed.

What headphone retailer in Phoenix?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Creative Sound Blaster X3
I would need hazard pay to test any other Sound Blaster products. :) Just got done uninstalling their crapware for the third time.

miero

Zorloo - Ztella Integrated USB-DAC Cable With MQA Support
- https://www.zorloo.com/ztella
- https://www.newswire.com/news/zorlo...rated-usb-dac-cable-with-mqa-support-20949089

"Zorloo will launch a crowdfunding campaign for Ztella in October 2019. The suggested retail prices are USD $89 for the MQA version and USD $65 for the standard version."

Superior sound quality with ESS Sabre DAC technology
SNR @ 120dB
THD+N @ 0.0006%
< 2 ohm output impedance

f7c8d71e58dec50666bfc34cd807.jpg

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would need hazard pay to test any other Sound Blaster products. :) Just got done uninstalling their crapware for the third time.
Time to start to backup & restore system images. Macrium Reflect?

Actually, when you rebuild your PC, install a pair of identical SSDs. To backup/restore, use a USB stick to boot Linux & dd between them. That'll be as simple & almost as fast as possible, with absolutely zero crap in your Windows install. Just be 100% sure you know which disk is which.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Time to start to backup & restore system images. Macrium Reflect?

Actually, when you rebuild your PC, install a pair of identical SSDs. To backup/restore, use a USB stick to boot Linux & dd between them. That'll be as simple & almost as fast as possible, with absolutely zero crap in your Windows install. Just be 100% sure you know which disk is which.
I still remember being nervous every time I used dd on Unix back in 1980s!

mk1classic

Any older "high-end" unit i.e. MSB Technology, highly modded diy DDDAC for comparison against newest top of the line ESS or AKM chips.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Samsung's Galaxy S10e (Snapdragon variant, as the Exynos apparently has poor audio output, see the bottom of this page: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14072/the-samsung-galaxy-s10plus-review/16).

I think it would be interesting to compare its performance against the LG G7 already measured, as it's probably one of the last flagship smartphones that will have 3.5mm audio output. Also, I think it would interesting to see if one of the most popular current smartphones is in fact audibly transparent or not, seeing as the large majority of people listen to their music directly from their phones, before measuring more niche devices that may offer no audible improvement over something most people already have in their pocket.

(This is the Qualcomm WCD9341 DAC the Snapdragon S10 series uses: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/wcd9341)

Last edited:
Top Bottom