• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

jparvio

Ok...
I don't think @amirm still has to establish his credibility anymore.
Sorry if I misunderstood you, but: Are you suggesting that he has to measure ten ranfom units of the same product to assure this one performs well or bad? Because that won't happen unless some (you?) have enough money to buy these units from different retailers around the world and, then send these to Amir...

Please understand this; as is the case with the Global Audio Press, same goes to all the Audio Forums etc; credibility has to be earned every day over and over again.

What I am saying here is that when a manufacturer is in direct contact with Amir, that is one possible place to compromise the credibility. Therefore to avoid this dilemma, all the equipment should come from a consumer who has bought the item.

Anyway whatever he decides to do is drawing the lines and creating a policy which eventually either supports the credibility or not.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I am saying here is that when a manufacturer is in direct contact with Amir, that is one possible place to compromise the credibility.
There are plenty of examples where units sent to @amirm by manufacturers performed not so great. Soekris comes to mind, but there are many others. About the manufacturer being in touch with Amir: Many have got some kind of mixed bag reviews depending of the product: Topping, SMSL, JDS Lab, Arcam (Only the rHead, he knows the designer), Monoprice, Audiophonics, etc etc.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please understand this; as is the case with the Global Audio Press, same goes to all the Audio Forums etc; credibility has to be earned every day over and over again.

What I am saying here is that when a manufacturer is in direct contact with Amir, that is one possible place to compromise the credibility. Therefore to avoid this dilemma, all the equipment should come from a consumer who has bought the item.

Anyway whatever he decides to do is drawing the lines and creating a policy which eventually either supports the credibility or not.
The same criticism was raised back when the Topping DX3 Pro was measured. In response, Amir offered to measure a device from a consumer in additional to the device from the manufacturer, and while I can't speak on his behalf, I don't have a reason to suspect his stance on this approach has changed.

mt196

If you are able to produce something that measure good for the review I don't see any point in producing something that is far worse for the public. It is not even a matter of profits because a lot of very good stuff like Atom or Topping is not even so expensive to produce and the additional profit of lowering quality to the public will be near to non-existent.

If you want lots of product to be reviewed you have to accept the fact that a man alone cannot buy or borrow everything you want to be measured but it has also to rely on review samples. That is how things works in the real world

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to see more coaxial and optical input DAC measurements.
Espcially if cheap & with balanced output.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen3 (or any other Scarlett Gen3)
View attachment 30528
http://prosound.ixbt.com/interfaces/focusrite/scarlett/solo/24-44.shtml is showing a RMAA figure of 0.0022% THD+N.

However, on my Solo Gen3 I was able to get an even better figure with ARTA: 0.0015% THD+N on Instrument input (loopback).

Focusrite_Scarlett_Solo3-Loopback_inst.png

Feljor

Hola, me gustaria que pueda medir los siguientes DAC:

MASSDROP X AIRIST AUDIO R-2R DAC

MASSDROP X GRACE DISEÑO DAC ESTÁNDAR EQUILIBRADO

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, donate a bunch more money and that can happen. In absence we have a saying in US: "beggars can't be choosy."

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hola, me gustaria que pueda medir los siguientes DAC:

MASSDROP X AIRIST AUDIO R-2R DAC
Hola. I have an Airist in for review already.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hola. I have an Airist in for review already.

Not holding my breadth for it in any case. If people who knew what they are doing like Soekris couldn't get theirs to perform beyond 'decent', I don't see how its going to happen with the Airist set.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

trotos

McIntosh MHA150, back in the days McIntosh was praised as the cream of the cream.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh was praised as the cream of the cream.
Still praised. The question is, praised by who? The cream of the cream doesn't make sense to me, while it is decided by Hi-fi press, blogs, forums... (in that order), without tangible proof of the supposed performance.

Last edited:

heyagod

Topping DX3 Pro V2 please, the headphone amp has been changed (it now has impedance of <10ohms like other Topping amps) and your old review is now outdated (and potentially misleading).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
your old review is now outdated (and potentially misleading).
Wait... Is that Amir's fault if Topping released a V2 to fix issues? He reviews what he gets, whatever there is a new version out. The regular DX3 Pro is still for sale in many places. It's up to users to check which version has been reviewed and which one they about to buy... I don't see what is misleading here.

Top Bottom