• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Jim777

Forum Donor
@amirm I'd like to humbly request a review and measurement of the NAD C 658 BluOS Streaming DAC, possibly with the HDMI expansion card.
I believe it is a very nice proposition for a stereo (2.1) Home Theater and HIFI system, it supports the Dirac room correction system, and it even has a phono input!
I use it connected to my Apple TV via HDMI, I have B&O active speakers and subwoofer, it sounds really nice and it does everything without fuss.
Thanks!
- Fabio

I'd like to add another +1 for the NAD C 658 (with HDMI if possible). If it performs well, it's an awesome feature set!

raduschka

I apologize if this isn't the way it's done, but I add my vote to the sabaj D5. It looks like a Gustard :) It has the same ESS chip. I wonder if it outperforms, ifi and mojo etc. Thank you

Kevin1

I would be interested in seeing your analysis of the Odroid N2 single board computer’s on-board DAC. The on-board DAC plays up to 384Khz / 32bit and the manufacturer claims:

“Dynamic range and SNR is near 100dB and Total-Harmonic-Distortion is lower than 0.006%. You can enjoy Hi-Fi sound quality without an external expensive audio DAC.”

https://www.hardkernel.com/blog-2/odroid-n2/

I own an N2 that I am using as a fanless HTPC running CoreELEC to play lossless audio files from my NAS. I was originally planning to buy a USB DAC like the Khadas Tone Board or Topping D10 but the on-board audio on recent nightly CoreELEC builds sound great to me and have eliminated any audible flaws. Early builds had frequent pops/crackles on volume or media change. I’d love to know how the N2 measures up versus the leading budget DACs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would be interested in seeing your analysis of the Odroid N2 single board computer’s on-board DAC. The on-board DAC plays up to 384Khz / 32bit and the manufacturer claims:

“Dynamic range and SNR is near 100dB and Total-Harmonic-Distortion is lower than 0.006%. You can enjoy Hi-Fi sound quality without an external expensive audio DAC.”
If those specs are right, 0.006% translates into SINAD of 84 dB which would put in the bottom bucket of DACs tested.

Kevin1

If those specs are right, 0.006% translates into SINAD of 84 dB which would put in the bottom bucket of DACs tested.

I appreciate the info and this forum. It is very refreshing to read about the objective performance of audio equipment.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And the specs are generally quoted as ideal.

starfly

Forum Donor
This one sure looks good on paper
Yeah, very curious to see how it measures up against its competitors, such as the NX4. Monoprice's Monolith was a bit of a disappointment, especially given the price.

hayche

Hi. I would really like to see you measure a ipad headphone jack or iPhone. Thanks

KenG

I would like to see the Sound Performance Lab (SPL) Phonitor x, xe or e measured. Most of you probably have never heard of the company which is likely because SPL was exclusively a studio professional brand but lately has stuck their foot in the consumer market. I've noticed that quite a few audiophile online retailers like headphones.com have started carrying their Headphone Amp/DAC combos.

I was recently at a headphone retailer here in Phoenix and had a chance to listen to some Audeze cans (LCD-3 and LCD-4Z) on them. I had never heard of SPL before this but I came away really impressed.

You can find their Amp/DAC combo's here:
https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/phonitor-x/?lang=en
https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/phonitor-e/?lang=en
https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/phonitor-xe/?lang=en

They seem to attend RMAF and some of the CanJams.

barrasman

Beresford appears to be a small company in the U.K., which like Parasound in San Francisco, California, designs high quality audio gear and has it manufactured in Taiwan. Their $235 Caiman DAC/Preamp/Headphone Amp is their flagship product, and has a devoted following. (I assume that they call it a preamp simply because it has a volume control that can be bypassed.) Stanley Beresford himself sometimes posts at The Art of Sound, an unabashedly subjective-audio oriented forum with about 15k members.

If anyone has a Caiman SEG DAC to loan to Amir, it would be an interesting addition to the ASR collection of DAC tests.

View attachment 14329

I have this DAC, and I would like to see how it fares against the competition... although it might be troublesome to send it to @amirm since I'm in Lisbon, Portugal :-~

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi. I would really like to see you measure a ipad headphone jack or iPhone.
I have an iPhone now but when I will get to it, I don't know.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would like to see the Sound Performance Lab (SPL) Phonitor x, xe or e measured. Most of you probably have never heard of the company which is likely because SPL was exclusively a studio professional brand but lately has stuck their foot in the consumer market. I've noticed that quite a few audiophile online retailers like headphones.com have started carrying their Headphone Amp/DAC combos.

I was recently at a headphone retailer here in Phoenix and had a chance to listen to some Audeze cans (LCD-3 and LCD-4Z) on them. I had never heard of SPL before this but I came away really impressed.
I saw this at an audio show. They sure look nice but too expensive for me to buy.

Top Bottom