• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Raqs

Forum Donor
Any news on the bluesound node 2i / sonos DDFA amp front?

PS: I didn't check, but have you actually measured an iPhone?
One with a 3.5mm jack and one with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter?
It must be the most used DAC/amp in the world ...
I second the iPhone idea. It's been my DAC of necessity for a very long time. I'd love to see how it absolves, objectively.
aR

HeadphoneFan

Thank you, Patrick. Two reasons for disappointment there:
  • my skill at searching the internet
  • their choice of DAC. I guess I was hoping they'd shoot higher than the PCM510x series every budget DAC uses. Well.
More of a reason to see a good review. This may be very well implemented, enough so that it may be a decent choice in its class. As many of you may notice, I'm trying to find options for a DAC / headphone amp deserving of my newly acquired HE400i, that'd be flying just under my better half's radar.
aR

Why not Fiio E10k?

And Amir,
Thanks for the reviews! I just bought a D30 and would likely never have found it if not for ASR.

HeadphoneFan

I can't find a real draw to the Fiio E10k - specs, reviews, price; the ratio of everything is not very good given what's out there today. Is there something I'm missing?
aR

Maybe there is a better recommendation but I've been so tired I initially quoted the wrong post, only realized my mistake later and revised my post lol.

If you are worried about the NX2 not performing well as a usb DAC, you could just use it as a portable amp and then combine it with the Xtrempro X1. It seems the X1 was getting good press around here a while ago. The NX2 seems to have low THD+N at the very least.

http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=21.html

But it seems you've already ordered the Fiio Q1, I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Last edited:

Raqs

Forum Donor
Maybe there is a better recommendation but I've been so tired I initially quoted the wrong post, only realized my mistake later and revised my post lol.

If you are worried about the NX2 not performing well as a usb DAC, you could just use it as a portable amp and then combine it with the Xtrempro X1. It seems the X1 was getting good press around here a while ago. The NX2 seems to have low THD+N at the very least.

http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=21.html

But it seems you've already ordered the Fiio Q1, I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Thank you - I should be receiving it today, and will definitely report/post here (on its review/measurements thread).

I am anticipating, with my main headphones (HM HE400i), given Amir's thoughts and observations, the balanced output with this unit is a must. Not having yet tinkered with the it, my preliminary thought is this is intentional. They designed it such that demanding headphones will have to use the balanced out, while IEM and such more efficient loads will be content with the other output. This way they can also provide the incredible balancing of channels, and the very low to no distortion read by Amir, all the way to satisfying volume out. Very thoughtful in my opinion. As an overall thought, both Fiio and Topping are to me akin to some sort of revelations, which given their budget class belonging, is very welcome. Although I have my own DIY DAC (currently in need of repair), I may bite the bullet and get one of Topping's desktop offerings (D10 through D50, not sure yet) for my main system.
Radu.

Last edited:

Raqs

Forum Donor
BTW: I'd be very interested in a review of the DDDAC 1794 & 1543. The former is the current iteration of this project (which started as a small scale, completely DIY kit based upon the 1543 DAC years back). I have the 1543 kit (the one I'm mentioning above, needing repair), and am considering purchasing the 1794-based kit. I'm not sure what the interest would be here on reviewing these, but they have a pretty strong following on the DIY world.
Radu.

tensor9

Forum Donor
We have a number of requests for that. At $6,000 though, it is not in my budget to purchase. :)

So please contact them on their website and tell them you like their DAC measured by us. If enough people do that, they may be inclined to loan me a unit to test. Else, we can all go to their youtube channel and complain. :)

Well, I am now a proud owner of the Directstream DAC. It sounds wonderful!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro Dac
OK, I ordered one. Their shopping process is a bit broken and I had to pay twice. Hopefully I don't get charged twice. Says shipping is on December 10th.

helloworld

Regarding testing various pro interfaces, you probably can find outlets to rent you those devices. They don't have to be purchased. Rent it for a week, and test it thoroughly. Check around various pro audio outlets near you and they'll be happy to tell you what is available.
Do you know what's name of this kind of outlet? Does it have the online store? I really want to rent the Apollo X16 and Apollo X6 for @amirm to test!

Cofra

The Bluesound folks wanted some time before sending it. SInce I have so much to review, I have not pushed them to send it to me yet.

What kind of chipset is in that NODE 2i streamer? Is that known?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
has the Tempotec arrived by now?
No. Got an odd message that tracking info was changed a few weeks ago and then nothing. I sent a message to the seller a few days ago and he wrote back in broken english to wait another week. I am confident it is lost and sadly they did not use a service with any tracking in US. So likely I will be asking for a refund since they seller no longer lists this either either. Should have looked more closely as he had only 12 transaction.

BTW, the status shows "delivered." No idea how they asserted that as per above, there is no tracking.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I have one but I am not sure if I want to pull it out of my theater rack. :)

What more do you have in the theater rack (withholding measurements for us)? :)
Please do not say Crown CTs amps. I have some old Crown CTs-1200 I really wonder how they measure.

renan33

I would definitely love to read your review of the SMSL DP3 DAC. It's very interesting, it's almost the only packaging Bluetooth and balanced outputs together (maybe even ultimate DAC to buy for only $250 if it delivers good performance?)
Yep the same.
View the recent review on digione that i loved a lot. I'd be very interested in the comparison with DP3 as streamer (no Dac use). Since the comparison between DP3 and digione lead to a very big gap in audio quality. The DP3 being highly better.....

VonGoethe

No. Got an odd message that tracking info was changed a few weeks ago and then nothing. I sent a message to the seller a few days ago and he wrote back in broken english to wait another week. I am confident it is lost and sadly they did not use a service with any tracking in US. So likely I will be asking for a refund since they seller no longer lists this either either. Should have looked more closely as he had only 12 transaction.

BTW, the status shows "delivered." No idea how they asserted that as per above, there is no tracking.

I have bought mine from the TEMPOTEC Official Store on Aliexpress.
The seller was very friendly and fast in communication.
After my first DAC had an error on the unbalanced output, I was sent directly without long negotiation a new device.
I did not have to return the defective device - so I have a few spare parts.
All in all a very good service.

Soundwise I'm not quite sure yet.
It's not quite as clear as my Onkyo Granbeat and the topping NX4 has a bit more presence.
We'll show how he does after a break-in period.

Top Bottom