• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

gvl

Major Contributor
I doubt Xuanqian is going to appreciate his e-mail being posted on a public forum.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If possible, I would be very interested to read a review of the SMSL M10...
It is pretty expensive so will probably have to wait on a sale or someone loaning it to me.

sonci

Is it possible to have some update on previously reviewed dac such as Topping D30 with the new Audio Precision.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible to have some update on previously reviewed dac such as Topping D30 with the new Audio Precision.
Yes, when I have some dead time I will remeasure them. For now, there is just so much new stuff waiting to be reviewed...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding testing various pro interfaces, you probably can find outlets to rent you those devices. They don't have to be purchased. Rent it for a week, and test it thoroughly. Check around various pro audio outlets near you and they'll be happy to tell you what is available.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need a USB to I2S bridge of some sorts, either bare modules or stand-alone product.
I see. I'll be curious to see how you use/test it. I tried some Singxer SU-1 with my PS Audio DS dac and couldn't tell any difference.

miero

Since that board has a clock I guess that SPDIF (TTL) signal into one of input pin could work too. Unless there is an microcontroller that configures DAC chip to I2S only mode.

FIY there is a similar board without clock:
- https://www.ebay.com/itm/ES9028Q2M-...d-mill-board-DAC-balanced-output/132317494575
- https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...alanced-dsd-1x-lt1963-regulators-p-12355.html (more description, higher price)

Possible cheap USB to I2S modules supporting higher bit rates:
- https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CM6631...B-To-IIS-SPDIF-Output-24Bit-192K/132059458377
- https://www.ebay.com/itm/CM6631A-digital-interface-card-I2S-SPDIF-output-384kHz/132779254314

Last edited:

t129

Is anyone here familiar with any reasonable tests of wireless interconnects like the SVS SoundPath, or perhaps the AudioEngine D2 DAC (or maybe even the W3, although that's a little outside what I'm personally after)?

EDIT: I realized that the following is a bit offtopic but let's say this rambling is to echo the call for wireless interconnect review.

Wireless interconnects are something I too have often wondered about. It is not only the problem of fidelity but also of fluctuating delay. I once thought of building active speakers with one chromecast audio per box. Luckily (for me), somebody else had tried it, only to have a pair of speakers with wandering stereo image as the delays of each cast device changed. At least proper wifi speakers seem to need some specialized software/hardware to keep the timing.

On the interconnect front SVS soundpath touts about 25ms "ultra low"(?) latency. That's verging on audible even with a subwoofer. (Assuming the mains would be wired normally.) If it is a stable delay, just adjust dsp to fit, no prob. But I do not know if it is. Does somebody have any experience?

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Perhaps some mass drop amps?
Would love to hear the best value combo for d50 that can drive the hd6xx

For the HD6xx if you don't care about other headphones (high impedance output) the Aune is good, otherwise the RHead was also rated favorably:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...aune-x7s-and-arcam-rhead-headphone-amps.4270/

You've missed the drop for the THX AAA on massdrop which is surely their best amp, but monoprice has a THX amp releasing soon, too which might be quite good, that one is a dac/amp combo though. Neither THX has been reviewed by amir at this point though.

I would not bother with the Liquid Carbon or the CTH. The massdrop O2 is probably the best budget thing out there afaik.

Top Bottom