• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
That is a good round up of low cost interfaces. How about creating a new thread with a poll to see which one is of most interest to measure. I will buy that, and maybe the second place finisher to test.
Here it is. I added other interesting ones, in particular the Audient id4 since it claims an exceptional dynamic range.

chalex

Hello , if it possible -help me to find a little bit of truthful information about the new "dark horse" Singxer SDA-2 . There are no reviews of this device anywhere . I barely managed to get a photo of the interior of the SDA-2 from the seller . And I was surprised to find that inside the Sigxer SDA-2 looks like a Yulong DA10 . Aliexpress Singxer SDA-2 . Thank You .ebay SDA-2

Attachments

• SDA-2.jpg
    SDA-2.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 781
  • Yulong DA10.jpg
    Yulong DA10.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
And I was surprised to find that inside the Sigxer SDA-2 looks like a Yulong DA10 . Aliexpress Singxer SDA-2 . Thank You .ebay SDA-2

I disagree it looks like the Yulong. I mean yes they both have toroids and implement the same chip, but the SDA has Singxer's typical 'galvanical' isolation on digital side, other than that a simple proper differential/dual mono approach on the ak4497.

About its performance, if I recall correctly they have in-house measurements which measured worse than both Topping D70 and the Yulong. So unless you are a particular fan of Singxer and want their latest, I think their previous SDA-1 with AK4493 is the better choice if you can get it on discount anywhere.

AnestisMania

Hello there Mr.Amirm the new sound blaster ae 9 just came out and im kinda excited to see something like this... I was looking to buy a sound card like the Sound Blaster g6 but ill wait for your review on the ae9 it might take a while with a price tag of 350$.. but it will be interesting to see if it holds up to our expectations

Thank you for your time

Attachments

• 98spbG5.jpg
    98spbG5.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 251

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own an Arcam irDAC-II (DAC+Headphone Amp). And, I wouldn't mind seeing how it measures (tests).

thehun

Audioquest Cobalt, the usual suspects in the audio press have been drooling all over it the last few days.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What measurements do we want? Slam, pace, rhythm, and air please! How come we don't get those specs here?

thehun

Seems very expensive for an in-line USB DAC Amp though. Other than the size, I don't think it will outperform the NX4 DSD, which costs half !
Yeah I don't expect it do well for the money either, and since I have an LG V30 phone which would probably do as well or better than the G7 Amir has measured I'm certainly not on the market for this, it's more of a "fun request" than a serious one I must admit.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seems very expensive for an in-line USB DAC Amp though. Other than the size, I don't think it will outperform the NX4 DSD, which costs half !

It's all about the MQA baby! Don't'cha just love it? Or, is that a rip-off?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @amirm

iFi's little xDSD.

USD399 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/xDSD-Bluetooth-DAC-Headphone-Audio/dp/B07C4TLPQN

Measured by HiFi News here:

https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/xDSD_HiFiNewsReviewOutstaning.low-res.pdf

https://www.hifinews.com/content/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-headphone-ampdac-lab-report-0

Would be nice to see how your AP-555 measurements compared to HiFi News.

Despite being a portal with built in battery, it does have a 'desktop mode' for permanent setup use.

Has SPDIF (3.5mm combination digital coax and TOSlink) input and USB input of course.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

Music1969

Major Contributor
Seems a little better than iFi's previous offerings, if correct :)

Yep, the "if correct" part is why would be great to have Amir measure one with his AP-555 setup.

Hopefully someone in the US has one for a loan.

eliash

For RCA, all you need is a pair of cheap adapters or a cable.
https://www.amazon.com/WOVTE-Stereo...=1561960006&s=gateway&sprefix=jack+rc&sr=8-16
For what I can see, there is also no tone control and no remote control support.
But that's still 2/3 the price... and less than half the price of the Pro.
By the way, the headphone Amp, if I understand it correctly, may work fully in analog domain

RME claims ADI-2 fs has the same DAC chips and analog circuitry as the DAC/PRO onboard, therefore same performance up to 192K.
It also includes an ADC, like the PRO, w similar performance promise.
I had ordered one in march, though latest delivery word from them is September (this year!)...anyway I don´t need no mickey mouse displays, tone controls or alterable filters, just hoping for the promised performance. Cables to hook up to the stereo are ready since easter, as well as a linear regulated PS!
- A later test by Amir would be really helpful to see whether its performance is really comparable to the DAC/PRO versions!!!

One late remark regarding missing USB:
I am using 2 boxes w C-Media chips (50bucks each) in both SPDIF/USB directions, they seem to behave bit-perfect up to 24bits, no sound issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom