• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

scooter

Forum Donor
@amirm if you will have any chance please test one of the Yamaha's budget AVRs, such as RX-V583. I'm very interested in its amp section (80W RMS), but also for DAC performance.
I purchased it 2 years ago and running NS-777 (100W RMS, 6 ohms) tower speakers, I feel that power is not enough for them. I just would like to be sure that AVR gives clean 80W per channel of power as stated in manual.

jeroboam

Hello everybody and welcome to the dark recesses of my mind !. Firstly you should know that I have absolutely no technical knowledge of any kind be it in audio or much else come to that . Amir, I like so many others, wish to state my appreciation for all the effort and hard work you put into your excellent reviews even though 90% of it goes over my head . For the future I would like to see more emphasis on current and relatively recent products which we can still buy rather than oul stuff from the Ark - after all Noah's ears were shot what with all the racket from those parrots ,howler monkeys hyenas etc !. Just a suggestion thanks . A review of the SMSL VMV Magic USB dac would be great .

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
Would love to know measurements for cheap full digital amp like I.AM.D V200 or D.Sound D310 if you could.

Here are some for both of them I found on diyaudio.com - I don't know the exact parameters of the tests, though.

The first two are the THD and Frequency Response of the V200, the last a comparison of a number of inexpensive Class D, the D310 included... :cool:

v200d.pngv200r.pngcomparaison.png

Here's the thread they were taken from, if you care to inquire further:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/280228-am-v200-fx-audio-d802-optimisation-tpa3116.html

Last edited:

DosThou

Here are some for both of them I found on diyaudio.com - I don't know the exact parameters of the testing conditions, though.

The first two are the THD and Frequency Response of the V200, the last a comparison of a number of inexpensive Class D, the D310 included... :cool:

View attachment 26568View attachment 26569View attachment 26570

Here's the thread they were taken from, if you care to inquire further:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/280228-am-v200-fx-audio-d802-optimisation-tpa3116.html
Oh thanks so much! I actually have a D200. Sounds good with no discernible noise espc. for $100 shipped (though it's just driving 4" markaudio). Looking at those graphs, looks like there's little reason to upgrade to D.310!

BillG

Major Contributor
Oh thanks so much! I actually have a D200. Sounds good with no discernible noise espc. for $100 shipped (though it's just driving 4" markaudio). Looking at those graphs, looks like there's little reason to upgrade to D.310!

You're welcome... :cool:

I happen to own a V200BT as well, which I used until I purchased a Klipsch PowerGate a couple of months ago. I was quite satisfied with it for the price, and I only noticed occasional graininess in highs with it. However, that may have been the actual source material itself, as I never bothered doing an ABX between it and the PowerGate to compare.

fricc

@amirm I'd like to humbly request a review and measurement of the NAD C 658 BluOS Streaming DAC, possibly with the HDMI expansion card.
I believe it is a very nice proposition for a stereo (2.1) Home Theater and HIFI system, it supports the Dirac room correction system, and it even has a phono input!
I use it connected to my Apple TV via HDMI, I have B&O active speakers and subwoofer, it sounds really nice and it does everything without fuss.
Thanks!
- Fabio

tomli747

Snafu

Would love to see measurements for DAC / preamp / poweramp - chain and if possible compare "bad measuring" link (like dac) in this chain vs "well measuring" dac and see what's the difference when there is one bad product in signal path. And if possible, is there audible difference.

Like bad schiit/D70/Okto - well measuring pre amp - Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Thanks

JJ2106

Somebody, some time last year, suggested a (comparative) test of the Cambridge DacMagic XS. I know this isn't a recent device, but its published specs are still attractive, especially now that the price has gone down (80€ here in France).
So, I vote for that one.
Thanks.

letsgoo

Somebody, some time last year, suggested a (comparative) test of the Cambridge DacMagic XS. I know this isn't a recent device, but its published specs are still attractive, especially now that the price has gone down (80€ here in France).
So, I vote for that one.
Thanks.

Is it the same thing with the integrated DAC in CXA80? I really doubt that Cambrige would make an extra DAC for that purpose.

Snafu

New Freya tube pre amp from Schiit:
https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-2

Compound Differential Buffer
Gain: 1 (0dB)
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
THD: <0.004%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.0055%, CCIR
SNR: >120db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS
Output Impedance: 75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced
Topology: JFET differential amplifier compound pair with equalized-gm followers

Tube Gain
Gain: 4 (12dB)
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 3Hz-200KHz, -3dB
THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.01%, CCIR
SNR: >115db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS
Topology: differential triode input with semi-circlotron follower stage

imo pretty good numbers for a tube pre amp.

measurements:
Schiit Preamp APx555 Standard Test Suite: Freya +
https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Preamp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Freya Plus.pdf

Veri

Master Contributor
New Freya tube pre amp from Schiit:
https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-2

Compound Differential Buffer
Gain: 1 (0dB)
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
THD: <0.004%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.0055%, CCIR
SNR: >120db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS
Topology: JFET differential amplifier compound pair with equalized-gm followers

Tube Gain
Gain: 4 (12dB)
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 3Hz-200KHz, -3dB
THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.01%, CCIR
SNR: >115db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS
Topology: differential triode input with semi-circlotron follower stage

imo pretty good numbers for a tube pre amp.

measurements:
Schiit Preamp APx555 Standard Test Suite: Freya +
https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Preamp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Freya Plus.pdf
I hope they keep up these measurement test suite with all upcoming products and not just the pre-amp and delta sigma DACs which are harder to mess up! Still no test suite on the gungnir/yggdrasil for example :);)

Snafu

I wonder from where that sudden urge to publish measurement data came from :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would love to see measurements for DAC / preamp / poweramp - chain and if possible compare "bad measuring" link (like dac) in this chain vs "well measuring" dac and see what's the difference when there is one bad product in signal path. And if possible, is there audible difference.

Like bad schiit/D70/Okto - well measuring pre amp - Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Thanks
In general, if a device is 10 dB better in SINAD, it will have no effect on the SINAD of the overall chain. In other words, the weakest link sets the limit and then others pile on if they are not 10 dB better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom