• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Veri

Master Contributor
Slow to test? What do you mean by that??
They don't interface via usb like common other products. I think Amir usually plays test tones over Roon, not as exhaustive testing possible that way.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Slow to test? What do you mean by that??
My analyzer can control devices connected to a Windows PC. It has no ability to do that with a streamer. So I have to run a test manually on the streamer then go back and measure it. Tests that require dynamic signals such as IMD, cannot be run this way. So not only is it slower to test streamers, I can't run all the tests on them.

geckos

Ah, I see, thank you for the explanation. But perhaps you will find the time to test it, because it has high potential to be the price/performance winner of all DACs... esp. the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro with two good clocks that should eliminate the Raspberry Jitter.

mahirzukic2

I didn't know where else to put this thread, so here goes.
I would like to ask you Amir to test this DAC here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-ES903...m=113145999402&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It seems to be a balanced DAC with ESS 9038 Pro chip with USB, coax and optical inputs. Seeing all those additional components regarding the power supply and regulation, it seems it could be nice.
Now what is left and is needed, are the pro measurements from the likes of Amir. :D

Music1969

Major Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
I didn't know where else to put this thread, so here goes.
I would like to ask you Amir to test this DAC here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-ES903...m=113145999402&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It seems to be a balanced DAC with ESS 9038 Pro chip with USB, coax and optical inputs. Seeing all those additional components regarding the power supply and regulation, it seems it could be nice.
Now what is left and is needed, are the pro measurements from the likes of Amir. :D
It looks like a bootleg X26 lol. I'd have little faith in these OEM dac boards that keep appearing in lesser known Chinese brands. Same for the XMOS board, how do you know it even passed decent QC testing... pay slightly more and you can get something like a JDS EL Dac b-stock with near instant US support! Don't cheap out on ESS9038/AKM4497 boards, these chip require precision crafted pcb board and carefully regulated components.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Suggestion for DAC measurement - Nuprime DAC-10h. Many thanks!

Took detailed measures this weekend using a Virtins RTX6001 and RMAA Pro. Not Amir's Audio Precision but good enough to see >120 dB dynamic range. Results exceeded my expectations, and I hope to have time to post them soon

hrabardabar

Took detailed measures this weekend using a Virtins RTX6001 and RMAA Pro. Not Amir's Audio Precision but good enough to see >120 dB dynamic range. Results exceeded my expectations, and I hope to have time to post them soon

Wow! Thanks in advance!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Will you review FX Audio Dac X7 ?
It sounds weird, and I'd really like to know why.
I'm in France, I can send it over for a test, but it will not be cheap I guess.

debunker

Ah, I see, thank you for the explanation. But perhaps you will find the time to test it, because it has high potential to be the price/performance winner of all DACs... esp. the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro with two good clocks that should eliminate the Raspberry Jitter.

Hi everyone, first time poster, some-time lurker.

I own a DAC+ Pro, and while I'm curious to see a full review with measurements of it as well, I'm honestly not sure it's worth it because frankly, it's based on outdated technology. It's fundamentally limited by the use of the PCM5122 chip which simply can't compete with today's state of the art. So at best, it will hit the same performance marks as the PCM5122-based Allo Boss. (sidenote: the fact that the Boss managed a SINAD of 93dB on amir's bench is truly remarkable considering this is the stated performance limit of the PCM5122 in the Ti/Burr Brown datasheet. So somebody at Allo really knows what they are doing and should be commended.) But if archimago's tests are any indication, performance is probably closer to that of the Pi 2 Design 502 which also has the 5122. Subjectively, it sounds good to me and lightyears better than the digital source it replaced which was a 90's Sony CD player so the bar was set pretty low.

Personally, I'd be more interested in reviews of newer Pi HATs at a similar price point as the HifiBerry but with more modern DAC chips. Specifically, is there a HAT out there with Katana level performance in the sub $100 range? And yes, I know I could just connect a Pi to a Tone Board via USB and get there, but there's something to be said about having everything nice and tidy in the same little box the way I currently do with the HifiBerry.

dheepak10

Nobsound TDA1387 NOS DAC/AMP would be an interesting review - costs CAD 55.
AliExpress Link

I am yet to try it, but folks I know have loved its DAC tonality. The amp portion is said to be powerful as well, and replacing the existing Op-amp with OPA2156 is said to do wonders to the high frequencies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi,

Will you review FX Audio Dac X7 ?
It sounds weird, and I'd really like to know why.
I'm in France, I can send it over for a test, but it will not be cheap I guess.
Just for everyone else's information, I have bought this from Amazon so will be testing it when it arrives.

Top Bottom