• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

m8o

Forum Donor
I have a bunch of Pi DACs that I have yet to review. Let me get through those before buying more. :)
Yes, certainly, understood!

Say, would you be willing to tell us whether one of them will be a comparison of the Katana output stage options, "Sound Quality" vs. "Pure THD"?

I'm very curious to know the nature of the coloration that has many people so enthralled. ;)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs look really good as do the features. Alas at nearly $700, it is too rich for my budget. Please contact them and see if they will send one in for review.

I found these measurements online: https://kenrockwell.com/audio/apogee/duet-2.htm
but don't really know how to interpret them. I miss a summary and comparisons with other products, as you do!

There seems to be a -0.8 dB roll off in the high frequencies, that's perhaps the reason why some people say it's "coloured" (as opposed to a RME Babyface for instance). What is "deemphasis error"?

[As for myself, I have to mention that I run in under PC/Windows with Asio4all drivers. It is supposed to be Mac only but it happens to work on a PC though, but only as a DAC and with some problem controlling the volume, so I keep it at max level and use the gain knob of my amplifier.]

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There seems to be a -0.8 dB roll off in the high frequencies, that's perhaps the reason why some people say it's "coloured" (as opposed to a RME Babyface for instance). What is "deemphasis error"?
0.8 dB error at 20 kHz is not audible. Most of us don't hear that frequency let alone be able to detect 0.8 dB error.

De-emphasis is an optional of feature of CD format to accentuate the high frequencies in mastering, and then attenuate them at playback to increase signal to noise ratio in high frequencies. This was a common approach in cassette tapes (Dolby) but it is rarely used in CD format. I only remember one CD back in early 1980s with it. So not an issue whatsoever.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

audiocat

Hi there;

New member posting for the first time, but been lurking around for a while.

I'd love if you can do a review of Teac NT-505. I've read your NT-503 comparison. While NT-503 was a bit disappointing from the numbers perspective, I am curious about the 505 for a couple of reasons. 1) It has the flagship AK4497 chip. 2) It's priced much higher than the Teac NT-503. There are lots of other improvements as well, but the above two makes me wonder if 505 would be in another class.

Also, NAD C658 looks like quite an awesome device on paper. It's a true DAC/Preamp/streamer with a featureset that no other dac is currently able to offer even at twice it's price range.

Thanks

escalibur

Burson Swing and Burson Playmate. Both are recently released.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

That DAC looks kinda cool, AK4495EQ the previous-previous AKM flagship :) still, expensive DAC and very utilitarian-looking. Also it's got Jensen transformers for the output which is kinda cool, but again won't do measurements any good I'm afraid.
The high-end ones on that site are ridiculous though, they're all AK4493-based!! I can't imagine them being much if any better than the Topping DX3. I mean $1000 surplus for fancy transformer output, think I'll pass ;)

Reactions: Max

MRC01

Major Contributor
I auditioned one of the prototypes over the holidays. Subjectively, it sounded clean, tight, detailed yet silky smooth. I was impressed. It has some interesting engineering features (not just the DSP). Volume is a stepped attenuator that changes the gain instead of attenuating a fixed gain. Gain feedback loop is frequency shaped, in a simple Dolby-like way.

The first batch of production units just became available and one has my name on it. I'm curious how it measures. I'll be contacting Amir soon to see if he can do that.

Veri

Master Contributor
I auditioned one of the prototypes over the holidays. Subjectively, it sounded clean, tight, detailed yet silky smooth. I was impressed. It has some interesting engineering features (not just the DSP). Volume is a stepped attenuator that changes the gain instead of attenuating a fixed gain. Gain feedback loop is frequency shaped, in a simple Dolby-like way.

The first batch of production units just became available and one has my name on it. I'm curious how it measures. I'll be contacting Amir soon to see if he can do that.
Awesome :D !!!

Top Bottom