• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

eugenius

@amirm Yes, I meant the bluesound node2. And maybe the Marantz ND8006, to see if paying double for the audiophile streamer with a nice case but worse software is worth it.

If you can measure amplifiers, Sonos is getting ready to launch a new streaming amp that's very interesting. It uses the Zetex DDFA digital amplifier tech previously used in the nad m2, c390dd and m32 (with a lower heat output stage). Specs are excellent: 125W/8ohms, 116dB signal to noise. And best of all, it will be 599$. If it's as good as it looks, that amp has the potential to render a large chunk of the entry level hifi market redundant (except maybe active speakers).

http://www.audioxpress.com/news/sonos-announces-all-new-sonos-amp-twice-as-powerful-with-airplay-2

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Yes, I meant the bluesound node2. And maybe the Marantz ND8006, to see if paying double for the audiophile streamer with a nice case but worse software is worth it.
Understood. I sent an email to them and they quickly responded. Let's see where it goes.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you can measure amplifiers, Sonos is getting ready to launch a new streaming amp that's very interesting. It uses the Zetex DDFA digital amplifier tech previously used in the nad m2, c390dd and m32 (with a lower heat output stage). Specs are excellent: 125W/8ohms, 116dB signal to noise. And best of all, it will be 599$. If it's as good as it looks, that amp has the potential to render a large chunk of the entry level hifi market redundant (except maybe active speakers).
I should be able to source that through my company (Madrona Digital).

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi @amirm any interest in measuring my PS Audio Stellar GCD?
I've always wanted to see the measurements of this unit, mostly due to their decision of using the cheaper Sabre ES9010K2M instead of going for the top Sabre chips like the ES90X8 series and the jitter eliminator functionality inside their Lattice FPGA in the GCD.

Last edited:

eugenius

I should be able to source that through my company (Madrona Digital).
Excellent!

Relevant quote:
AudioXpress said:
Launching globally in February 2019, the $599 Amp will be available to professional installers in the United States and Canada starting December 1, 2018 and will roll out globally in February 2019.

D

Deleted member 3718

Member was kind enough to send that in for review. So look for its review soon (and remind me if I don't).
Awesome! I look forward to this. I'm curious how it measures against the Topping DX7s and others in that price range.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

shoden

I would like you to redo crosstalk measurement of all the dacs ... more so the one that are not fully dual mono all the way and also fast square wave measurement at 30hz 60hz 300hz 1khz ... most dac will have ringing or offshoot on the attack of the transient because of opamps etc.

also sinewave at 10khz

you omit one crucial measurement

like the modi 3 is -80db crosstalk .. hahahaha this mean -80db SNR or thd to me.. maybe not to you but to me YES

nothing worst than crosstalk in my opinion ... i want -130db or -140 db crosstalk

Last edited:

eugenius

@amirm

There's now a node 2i with some functional improvements like wireless ac, bluetooth aptx hd (bidirectional), airplay2 and amazon alexa (node2 should have these two as well, they're software) . Audio specs stay the same.

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2i/

British magazine What HiFi had this to say regarding the circuit differences between node2 and node 2i:
What HiFi said:
Between the releases of these two multi-room generations, Bluesound's parent company, Lenbrook, created the NAD Masters M50.2 BluOS network streamer, and the Node 2i’s upgrades begin with trickle-down high-end circuit design and architecture from there. The layout was then optimised to accommodate its new chassis, and further isolation was put in between audio and wi-fi frequencies. The new, smaller wi-fi chipset has given Bluesound the freedom to play with the circuit layout – but the company has admitted to being surprised by how much this affected the Node 2i’s audio performance.

They also offer their subjective opinion:
What HiFi said:
The richness across the frequencies is retained, but the soundstage appears further opened and with even more granular detail fed in. It feels far from out of place in our reference system, which merely offers the Node 2i a canvas to display its abilities. What’s most striking is the improvement in this streamer’s organisation, timing and dynamic expression. Those facets were bettered by the Arcam, but Bluesound has not only cleared the confusion within the Node 2i’s presentation, but made musicality one of its most alluring fortes. It is in the subtleties of a composition that the Node 2i really thrives, showing its ability to pick out the varying intensities of a fingerpicked guitar, arpeggiated piano line or call-and-answer arrangement that may provide rhythm as much as hold a melody. There is greater life to the performance as well; the Node 2i shows not only an increased level of expression but also enthusiasm. Its considerable bass weight, while always supporting a full-bodied midrange, now also adds kick and drives forward proceedings.

Choose life! ;)

There's also a full size version bluOS preamp/DAC with dirac lite (upgradable to full) called the Nad C658. It's not that much more expensive than the MiniDSP SHD in Europe.
https://nadelectronics.com/nad-announces-versatile-c-658-bluos-streaming-dac/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm

There's now a node 2i with some functional improvements like wireless ac, bluetooth aptx hd (bidirectional), airplay2 and amazon alexa (node2 should have these two as well, they're software) . Audio specs stay the same.
That is the one they are organizing to send me I think.

Top Bottom