• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Res-Head

You could either want to learn something there or try to debate with proper argumentation... But if the all purpose of your membership is to spread bullshit and trolling, maybe @BDWoody should show you the door?

Alright, here are real world graphs for the E30 which you claim to be 99.9% transparent. Seems pretty mediocre to me:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/497302747444674570/820711244678955069/ZcPtfGA0Zm.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/497302747444674570/820711251558006794/atNkRtjlg5.png

Veri

Master Contributor
Lol @ using Zeos to validate your opinion. He has damaged hearing. Secondly even if he could hear differences, good luck hearing them through a 789
I'll bite, what's wrong with the 789? It's actually well enough liked even at the SBAF asylum.
Guess all that 'feedback' makes it sounds dead? What's with all the 5 star reviews over at drop though? Mass delusion? Or maybe you're just, I don't know, wrong?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Do you understand these graphs? What I see is worse case scenario at -110dB... relative to -7dBFS (Why is that?). In what case this should "mediocre"?
Not to mention highly dependant on the ADC used since this is not by any means made with professional instrumentation. The RCA grounding is also quite terrible, not exactly great set-up. Anyway do you have the same measurement done with your Metrum DAC as source? I'd have a good laugh looking at that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

Excuse me Sir, but could you explain more on the graphs?

And also, is there any comparison with any R2R Dac you enjoy?

I mean, if you can explain where the E30 (I enjoy) is wrong, I can study something better. Is the Gustard X16 a better DAC then the E30 (measurements are on top from what I have understood from ASR)?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is it that when somebody hears major undeniable differences in their equipment, folks here will try to tell you that you're dreaming it? Get off your measurements and actually go listen and ... wait for it ... use your ears??
It is true that a person can seem taller than another person, though they measure the same. The former is simply thinner.

In your case, your prefered the NOS DAC because you closed your eyes, relaxed and got your mind in the state of attention to hear all the details that you didn't hear with the E30 that you used while vacuuming the floor.

Res-Head

I guess measurements matter when it suits the narrative (Topping bad) but not when he talks about his NOS DAC (Metrum good..?)
I really don't care about the measurements. I showed the e30 to demonstrate the hilarity of objectivists shilling a product that doesn't even abide by the requirements of your own parameters

Res-Head

It is true that a person can seem taller than another person, though they measure the same. The former is simply thinner.

In your case, your prefered the NOS DAC because you closed your eyes, relaxed and got your mind in the state of attention to hear all the details that you didn't hear with the E30 that you used while vacuuming the floor.
What hogwash. I have listened critically to every dac that I own so it is an insult to say that the only reason I preferred one was that I was listening more critically to it. In fact the extent of my analysis is not simply some whimsical "I feel like this one sounds better than that one if i close my eyes" but actually I can detail multiple subjective parameters such as blackground, slam, detail, image size, timbral accuracy, liquidity etc etc. Let's end the lack of faith in people's hearing ability

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What hogwash. I have listened critically to every dac that I own so it is an insult to say that the only reason I preferred one was that I was listening more critically to it. In fact the extent of my analysis is not simply some whimsical "I feel like this one sounds better than that one if i close my eyes" but actually I can detail multiple subjective parameters such as blackground, slam, detail, image size, timbral accuracy, liquidity etc etc. Let's end the lack of faith in people's hearing ability

Lack of faith is a bad thing according to you? Faith is: admit something is true without evidence. You're on the wrong forum.

threni

Major Contributor
In order to challenge the rampant misinformation here such as when you sarcastically say "Another R2R masterpiece". Think how many readers you could be turning away from such dacs by saying this. I challenge you to go and actually listen to it and first realise why people buy such things before spouting this nonsense.

ASR on the whole has been quite dangerous to the industry. Companies are now forced to change their designs to accommodate objective parameters which can actually be quite subjectively damaging. How do you think great sinad is achieved? Nested feedback loops do not come without consequence. They kill blackground and anyone with an ear can hear it. I present another example:
Schiit started out by producing fully discrete gear such as the Magni 3+ which sounds better. Then due to shifts in consumer preferences due to this website, they were forced to release the better measuring magni heresy which actually sounds worse. As you go up the price ladder, you will notice that higher end consumers have not been infected by this philosophy because they care about what sounds good and not numbers on a page.

Thanks

One does not simply.... nest a feedback loop. Not without... consequence....

Ok, another one?! Is it a full moon?

So you're saying rich people have more taste and pay more for better sounding, yet poorly measuring equipment, whereas Schiit are forced to sell their well-measuring but awful sounding tat to the multitude of peasants who have been brainwashed by this site? (Specifically this site and not the 99% of nonsense audio-related sites and youTube channels). And that this upstairs/downstairs schism is dangerous because.....because people are buying cheaper kit? Not buying expensive kit? Are buying expensive kit? It's not clear. Causing "blackground" (tm) which "anyone with an ear can hear" except people with well measuring kit...so...it's plainly audible but there's no way of detecting it? Got it! Schiit seem pretty busy these days, and can't keep up with demand by all accounts. Is that despite or because of ASR?

threni

Major Contributor
Thank you for showing exactly why ASR doesn't have everything sorted out. We do not have units for all the things we know exist.
Sort of like Pascal's Wager? It is better to believe in the existence of slam in the absence of anything approaching evidence or even some vague idea of what we might be looking for, than to discover later that you've bought the wrong DAC?

Res-Head

Sort of like Pascal's Wager? It is better to believe in the existence of slam in the absence of anything approaching evidence of existence or even some vague idea of what we might be looking for, than to discover later that you've bought the wrong DAC?
I do not believe in it, I am 100% aware of it

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for showing exactly why ASR doesn't have everything sorted out. We do not have units for all the things we know exist.

Perhaps it is the words "slam" and "liquidity" than you have to sort out. Metaphors have never been accurate descriptions of reality.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't care about the measurements. I showed the e30 to demonstrate the hilarity of objectivists shilling a product that doesn't even abide by the requirements of your own parameters
You didn't explain anything about how these measurements should be bad in any way. Nor provided relative comparison to give them any value. BTW, process and instrumentation are still unknown - I would be very surprised if this will be anything more precise and reliable
than an AP. Turns out: It will not.
it is an insult to say
Relevant explanations and suggestions are not insults. Nonsense claims without any evidences, technical understanding, nor background/experience or qualification and above that: complete lack of humility, could be taken as such.
What are the units of measurement for slam and liquidity...
Ears. And a lot of imagination.
We do not have units for all the things we know exist.
Liquidity is about liquids. It doesn't exist in music reproduction. Yet we don't need anything to measure it.
You're on the wrong forum.
No doubt. At this point, things are pretty clear: Just another troll coming straight from HF or SABF to mess around.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I've just derived a unit for the amount of excrement from a bull.

Top Bottom