• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Topping MX3!
Now that is one cute device! Seems like it is based on Topping D10. I went ahead and purchased it on Massdrop since one more purchase was needed to get it to $99 and I did that. :) Won't ship until May though.

And welcome to the forum. :)

Stump909

Now that is one cute device! Seems like it is based on Topping D10. I went ahead and purchased it on Massdrop since one more purchase was needed to get it to $99 and I did that. :) Won't ship until May though.

And welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks! Been lurking for awhile and really enjoy your reviews.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Has anyone requested the CEntrance DAC Portable? I did a bunch of measurements on it which showed the DAC part performing very well (the headphone amp, too, within its limits), but I couldn't do everything I wanted because their ASIO driver crashed both the AP and ARTA. I'm mostly curious to see if the 2722's software also crashes from their driver.
I'd be happy to loan you mine, if that will help.

Dro

Audiotrak Dr DAC3: http://audiotrack.co.kr/en/external/253
DAC+head and pre amp. The interesting part is that it uses a TPA6120 and still allegedly offers 0 ohm output impedance for headphones.

I have used one of its predecessors, the DAC2 DX for a few years now. Last year I bought the DAC3 so I would have one for when I visit my parents. The DAC3 seemed to have a bit more noise, so it became the one for that. From listening tests with IEMs very sensitive to output impedance, it seems to be at least pretty close to 0 ohm. Would be interesting to see how it measures and whether there are any issues introduced by 0 ohm with the TPA6120.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Audiotrak Dr DAC3: http://audiotrack.co.kr/en/external/253
DAC+head and pre amp. The interesting part is that it uses a TPA6120 and still allegedly offers 0 ohm output impedance for headphones.

I have used one of its predecessors, the DAC2 DX for a few years now. Last year I bought the DAC3 so I would have one for when I visit my parents. The DAC3 seemed to have a bit more noise, so it became the one for that. From listening tests with IEMs very sensitive to output impedance, it seems to be at least pretty close to 0 ohm. Would be interesting to see how it measures and whether there are any issues introduced by 0 ohm with the TPA6120.
Pretty interesting unit! Love to measure it but at $350, too pricey for me to pull the trigger just now.

Are you willing to loan yours for measurements?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
See my last sentence. :D

PM me an address and I'll pack it up.

edit: sorry, misread, it was the other unit you were interested in.

Dro

Pretty interesting unit! Love to measure it but at $350, too pricey for me to pull the trigger just now.

Are you willing to loan yours for measurements?
I don't have access to it currently and it would probably be a customs nightmare to ship from Europe :/
I might get lucky and move to the US this year, then I would certainly bring it with me and loan it.

Otherwise, they occasionally sell it discounted at around 250 USD.
Edit: Currently selling at 313 USD.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Has anyone requested the CEntrance DAC Portable?
I had access to one for a bit of time but unfortunately was not feeling well and forgot to save the results. :(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Otherwise, they occasionally sell it discounted at around 250 USD.
Edit: Currently selling at 313 USD.
Ok, remind me if you see it on sale and I will consider picking it up then. The best price I could find right now is what you list.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I saw that. Even at that price it is considerably higher priced than competing thumb-drive sized DAC/amps.

The reason I wonder about this is that it is not something I want to keep. It is one thing to throw away $50 on a small DAC. It is another to be stuck with a $300 one.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Given the exorbitant pricing this is just wishful thinking, but I would like to see measurements of these (or similar) so-called TOTL DAPs:

Astell & Kern A&ultima sp1000 - $3500
Questyle qp2r - $1300
Lotoo Paw Gold - $1500-2400
Sony W1MA - $3200

Smells like snake oil to me...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

Just wanted to say a huge *thank you* for doing all these reviews. Your measurement results have me saved time/money in looking at DACs out there.

With regards to measurements, would love to see results for the Soekris R2R DACs and the PS Audio DACs. (The later admittedly are high-end gear, e.g. DirectStream).

Best.

— Tom—

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir, great suggestion.

I shall email them to ask for a unit to be sent.

— Tom —

Top Bottom