• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which class D amplifier would you guys choose?

maxp779

So im trying to figure out which class D amplifier to go for... I've been looking at these since im UK based:

Audophonics have a 2x NC500MP amp:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-2x500w-4-ohm-ncore-p-13344.html
I gather that with the MP modules the power supplies are built into the module. So the modules are mains powered, hence the MP.

Nord have a 2x NC500 amp with 1 separate power supply:
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-nc500st-stereo-amplifier
Looks like NC500's need their own power supply.
They also have the same thing but where each of the modules has their own power supply and do not share one:
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-nc500dmst
I have no idea what the benefit of this is...

Nord also have this NC502MP amp:
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-mp-nc500-stereo-power-amp-in-silver
So the module both has it's own power supply and it is stereo so theres no need for 2 x mono modules.

I mean less circuitry is typically better since there are less things that can fail, less power, less heat. So the 502MP seems pretty good from that point of view. However I suppose it highly depends on the circuitry itself.

It has taken me a substantial amount of time to figure out the differences between all these amplifiers. It's been kinda fun researching it all though :) But im coming up short when it comes to the actual practical differences between these setups. Apart from cost and the case they come in. What would you guys go for? Or are there other options I haven't considered?

Im in the UK and was looking to spend maybe 900GBP, slightly flexible on this. I saw some people raving about Purifi modules but im certain I couldn't tell the difference and they're quite a bit more expensive than ncore based stuff.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All good performers. It depends mostly on what you want them to drive. There could be a small difference in bass with large speakers going a bit low in terms of impedance. At least that was my conjecture with a pair of my speakers when I went for the NC400 kits and it hasn't been invalidated ;).

I am sure many of the more competent regulars will chime in.

chips666

Hello,
I would go for the cheapest option
In a proper AB blind test it probably will be impossible to pin point the exact amp
Spent your money wise ;)
Enjoy...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends if you want to have total channel separation and/or tweak with opamps then go with NC500+buffers+separate power supplies.

If you want simplicity, smaller size and lower cost, NC502MP is the way to go.

I have 2 systems and chose both. :D

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Max,

I have the Nord One Hypex NC 500 Hypex Stereo. It drives a pair of ATC SCM 40 speakers easily. When I spoke to Colin, who owns Nord Acoustic, he was quite emphatic that there was no sound difference between separate mono amps and single stereo amps.

I think the D Class Hypex amps all measure well, and are very transparent, and IMO the only real difference you need to consider is how sensitive the speakers are that you are driving, how difficult the load is that they present and how loud you want them to play.

Archimago, who has his own blog and an attitude not dissimilar to Amir, in that he values the importance of both objective measurements and subjective listening, built and tested the 252MP Hypex module. It is inexpensive and produces a decent 150W into 8ohms.

He was so taken with the performance that he adopted it as his reference amp, as it has adequate power for his needs, and he is quite adamant that it will NOT be the weakest link in even a top end system. It is available from both Nord Acoustics and Audiophonics already constructed and within your budget. Here is his two part review.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/an-inexpensive-hi-fi-class-d-stereo-amp.html

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/measurements-hypex-ncore-nc252mp.html

Good luck

Ajax

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There's also the Hattor NC500MP, imo the best looking of the NC500 bunch :)
Also available at Audiophonics:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...lifier-ncore-1x500w-4-ohm-silver-p-14273.html

1.jpg

OP
M

maxp779

Hi Max,

I have the Nord One Hypex NC 500 Hypex Stereo. It drives a pair of ATC SCM 40 speakers easily. When I spoke to Colin, who owns Nord Acoustic, he was quite emphatic that there was no sound difference between separate mono amps and single stereo amps.

I think the D Class Hypex amps all measure well, and are very transparent, and IMO the only real difference you need to consider is how sensitive the speakers are that you are driving, how difficult the load is that they present and how loud you want them to play.

Archimago, who has his own blog and an attitude not dissimilar to Amir, in that he values the importance of both objective measurements and subjective listening, built and tested the 252MP Hypex module. It is inexpensive and produces a decent 150W into 8ohms.

He was so taken with the performance that he adopted it as his reference amp, as it has adequate power for his needs, and he is quite adamant that it will NOT be the weakest link in even a top end system. It is available from both Nord Acoustics and Audiophonics already constructed and within your budget. Here is his two part review.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/an-inexpensive-hi-fi-class-d-stereo-amp.html

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/measurements-hypex-ncore-nc252mp.html

Good luck

Ajax

Looks like the 252MP or 502MP might be a good shout for me then. They will be driving some KEF LS50 speakers although that may change since I seem to have developed a habit of occasionally renewing my audio gear for fun :D

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the 252MP or 502MP might be a good shout for me then. They will be driving some KEF LS50 speakers although that may change since I seem to have developed a habit of occasionally renewing my audio gear for fun :D
Personally I thought the price difference between 252MP and 502MP was small enough for me to get the 502MP, even though I have no plans to drive difficult floorstanding speakers, just regular bookshelf ones. Both measure very very well.

Last edited:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
There is also the Paschal Pro chip. Several manufactures are now using this in products. Think there will be more smaller manufactures offering this chip later this year. Saw the option on the VTV order page.
But as is stated over and over, all are below our hearing threshold. The MP252, Purifi, and Paschal are all great choices. Two years from now there may be a new King of the Hill.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Matt,

I would agree with Matias in that for another lousy 50GBP you get an increase in power from 150W to a massive 350W per channel going from the 252MP to the 502MP, which would drive anything including electrostatics.

Since you are in the UK, Nord is the obvious choice of manufacturer IMO. FYI Colin has developed the 502MP with both balanced and RCA inputs, which will give you even greater flexibility for connecting various DACs. At 649GBP + VAT it is still well within your budget. No need to go to separate Mono amps according to Colin.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-mp-nc500-stereo-power-amp-in-black

It's amazing the power and transparency that is now available compared to only a few years ago due to the improvement in D Class amps and Chinese DACs. I would argue you can now obtain a very transparent "HiFi" front end (Streamer, Topping 50s DAC & Nord Amp) for less than $1,000 GBP. Add your LS50 speakers with a well integrated sub (such as a SVS SB2000 or REL) and you will have a system equal in sound quality to one costing 5-10 times that amount only a few years ago.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Although slightly more expensive, lots of guys on this forum claim the Purifi modules ( certainly next gen) are audibly better than hypex.
With modern efficient speakers, power is no longer an issue. Sometimes I think we all use amps with way more power than necessary.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which one has a Damping Factor of 20 or more??

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we all use amps with way more power than necessary.
Still always better than the opposite.;)

There is also the Paschal Pro chip.
But as is stated over and over, all are below our hearing threshold
Which Pascal module has a below hearing threshold distortion? Most datasheets I know show good distortion performance, but clearly not in league of what Ncores can achieve at lower prices.
It seems like every Pascal modules show a rather high (THD+N vs Power) 6Khz curve, reaching 0,05% THD+N (66dB SINAD)...so probably not audibly transparent.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still always better than the opposite.;)

Which Pascal module has a below hearing threshold distortion? Most datasheets I know show good distortion performance, but clearly not in league of what Ncores can achieve at lower prices.
It seems like every Pascal modules show a rather high (THD+N vs Power) 6Khz curve, reaching 0,05% THD+N (66dB SINAD)...so probably not audibly transparent.
Dutch & Dutch use Pascal modules for their 8C, and it's garnered rave reviews everywhere.

Hipper

Like Ajax I have dealt with Colin at Nord Amps and he seems a pretty down to earth honest fellow. Just ask him your questions.

Top Bottom