• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which center channel (and fronts) for 1k?

smania

Since my system will be used mostly for movies I understand I should prioritize the center channel. BUT it seems that most of the ones that are measured are not that good...
I also have the option of using a bookshelf under the screen (tons of space).
I don't think I need more than 20 degrees of beamwidth, as the 2 seats are at 220cm from the front speaker?

• Polk S30E €260 or XT30 €140 (and cheap towers XT60 for €300)
  • ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UC52 €390 (but Uni-Fi bookshelf got bad review here? bookshelf pair €500, this one also can be bought as single for €300 so maybe I could buy 3x same speakers?)
  • KEF Q650C €570 (KEF Q350 €470)
What else?
Suggestions?

EDIT: or which 3x bookshelf speaker? I could buy 4x and keep a spare in case there's something I should consider...

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Polk S30:
CEA2034.jpg

SPL%20Horizontal%20Contour%20Normalized.jpg

SPL%20Vertical%20Contour%20Normalized.jpg

Elac Unifi 2.0 UC52:
CEA2034.jpg

Kef Q650C:
CEA2034.jpg

I'd probably go with Elac myself....but don't expect excellent performance. You'll certainly need to EQ.

Instead of these, I would strongly consider Kef R2C:
CEA2034.jpg

OP
S

smania

I'd probably go with Elac myself....but don't expect excellent performance. You'll certainly need to EQ.
What about the fronts? I understand the matching fronts got a thumb down in the review... Should I just use Debut series fronts?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
What about the fronts? I understand the matching fronts got a thumbs down in the review... Should I just use Debut series fronts
I like the DBR62 only. I wouldn't buy other Elacs. Lots of better speakers on the market.

If you want to see more, take a look at my passive speaker recommendation thread.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would do the KEF Q350 x 3 (or x4 if you can't get a single one). It fits your budget and they are very nice and can be turned sideways with no issues.

OP
S

smania

What about 3x ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2? (the center one tilted up)?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
What about 3x ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2? (the center one tilted up)?

If you have room, sure. I assume you mean orienting the speaker upright like the LR and tilting it up toward ear level.

I had a pair of them for a 30 day trial and quite liked them. They were too large for my space, however.

If you can swing the DBR62 instead, it is a smaller and objectively better speaker, however. They are frequently on sale in the US at least, which makes them a value leader.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I like the DBR62 only. I wouldn't buy other Elacs. Lots of better speakers on the market.

If you want to see more, take a look at my passive speaker recommendation thread.

Errr... Why is the Focal Aria 906 not on your recommended list?

Holmz

Major Contributor
Since my system will be used mostly for movies I understand I should prioritize the center channel. BUT it seems that most of the ones that are measured are not that good...
I also have the option of using a bookshelf under the screen (tons of space).
I don't think I need more than 20 degrees of beamwidth, as the 2 seats are at 220cm from the front speaker?

• Polk S30E €260 or XT30 €140 (and cheap towers XT60 for €300)
  • ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UC52 €390 (but Uni-Fi bookshelf got bad review here? bookshelf pair €500, this one also can be bought as single for €300 so maybe I could buy 3x same speakers?)
  • KEF Q650C €570 (KEF Q350 €470)
What else?
Suggestions?

EDIT: or which 3x bookshelf speaker? I could buy 4x and keep a spare in case there's something I should consider...

1. If it is just two people, I have concluded that a 2.1 is really a nicer solution in most cases.
    1. Or a 4.x, or 6.x
    2. You can have coherence between the L/R better with no L/C/R.
  2. I did buy a used Vandersteen VCC-5, which Amir reviewed.
    1. The radiation pattern looks a lot better than most of the new budget units that Erin has been providing data for.
    2. If you need a center channel because you have people sitting off axis, then getting a center channel that does not play off axis, starts to make almost no sense. It is just for looks at that point.
    3. I have seen the VCC-5 used for ~ $250 to $1k… and teh VCC-2 and VCC-1 are even cheaper used.
You probably “should” want to try the 2.1 or 4.1 FIRST, unless you know you absolutely need a center channel.
I have Vandy 2C L/R and would rather have a pair of the “Treo” speakers, than the 2C and VCC combo.

But everyone that was super vocal always says the mantra of, “The center channel is the one doing 90% the work.”
Which is 90% BS, but also true in that a 5.1 mix puts the vocals in the center.
When sitting on axis, the center does nothing helpful.

Quoting prices in euros, to me indicates that you are in Europe, and that you should consider mainly Eu speakers.

OP
S

smania

I had a pair of them for a 30 day trial and quite liked them. They were too large for my space, however.
Physically large? Or too large from an audio prospective (even though I would not know what that means). I'm in a small space...

OP
S

smania

You probably “should” want to try the 2.1 or 4.1 FIRST, unless you know you absolutely need a center channel.

But everyone that was super vocal always says the mantra of, “The center channel is the one doing 90% the work.”

Yes, everyone says it's important to have the center but as you said maybe I should try a 2.1 first.
One of the reasons I'm looking to have a center is also to increase the volume on the dialogue...

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yes, everyone says it's important to have the center but as you said maybe I should try a 2.1 first.
One of the reasons I'm looking to have a center is also to increase the volume on the dialogue...

“Everyone” includes:
  • Sales people
  • Shills
  • People that have not tried it without a center channel.
  • People that parrot back the scripture and verse of needing one, without any proof or evidence that what that are saying is true.
Everyone, does NOT include, for instance, myself.
It does not cost anything to try it without a center channel.

OP
S

smania

“Everyone” includes:
  • Sales people
  • Shills
  • People that have not tried it without a center channel.
  • People that parrot back the scripture and verse of needing one, without any proof or evidence that what that are saying is true.
Everyone, does NOT include, for instance, myself.
It does not cost anything to try it without a center channel.

Can you increase the center channel output (without a center channel) with a Denon AVR?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Physically large? Or too large from an audio prospective (even though I would not know what that means). I'm in a small space...
Physically large.

If forced to use a horizontal MTM design, I agree with @Holmz that trying 2.1 might be worthwhile to you. I recently upgraded my media room speakers from B&W to Revel, and the MTM center channel was on backorder for several months. I cannot say we missed it in our room. When added to the mix, we did not feel it added much to our cinema experience. It costs nothing to try it.

Last edited:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are a lot of benefits of going with 2 speakers. One of the best experiences I have had watching TV was with stereo speakers. Especially in a smaller room, the third speaker seems like overkill. My theory is that most problems with dialog are related to the mix -- either the down mix to 2 channels has an issue, or the 3 channel mix doesn't work for a home cinema situation. I don't know that either of those can be controlled.

Sometimes when I watch 2 channel content on my TV (typically YouTube concerts/videos) I forget that they are recorded as 2 channel and the center is not playing. I keep having to double-check whether it is playing.

Personally, I think the best approach would be to spend the funds on a better/additional sub instead of a center for smaller rooms and 1-2 people. Or better 2-channel speakers, depending on the situation.

Top Bottom