• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which cartridge do you prefer?

Which cartridge do you prefer?

• File.1

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • File. 2

• not sure

• Total voters

WDeranged

I have a preference for the extra detail and snap of number two, but it veers on sounding thin. I could easily see why someone would prefer the softer sound of number one. Otherwise they're tonally similar.

Focusrite Scarlett, KRK Rokit 6 g2.

Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
I voted 2, the vocals sound more forward and I like that. Not sure which is more accurate but 1 is just too soft and recessed for my taste. Listening with Salnotes Zero plugged into Schiit Hel.

Old Grey Punk

What differences there are are tiny, both tracks are excellent. Like the reality of most gear comparisons as soon as you cross the 'everything works well together' line (usually a couple of hundred pounds/bucks/euros worth on each component). As I've said before a few times, a (relatively) modest but intelligent investment will get you 95% of the way there in terms of overall sound quality. All the vast expense / angst is chasing that last 5%...........

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
As I've said before a few times, a (relatively) modest but intelligent investment will get you 95% of the way there in terms of overall sound quality. All the vast expense / angst is chasing that last 5%...........
But... "100%" vinyl quality is like 50% of digital quality. :p

I gave-up chasing vinyl quality when I got my 1st CD player because I realized vinyl could never match digital. ;) (And once I had a collection of CDs I stopped playing records.)

Even before that, I knew the main problem was the records themselves because there were some "pretty-good" sounding records. But I was still foolishly chasing better sound by upgrading, or wanting to upgrade, my cartridge.

I also realize now that the main difference is (was*) frequency response (I was usually looking for stronger highs) and that can be tweaked with EQ.

* I assume modern records have better and more consistent frequency response. In the vinyl days most were "dull sounding" with only a few having good-clean highs.

Top Bottom