• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which AV receiver Would you Recommend.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or even something like the 3700/3800 and external amps as needed.

D

Deleted member 19122

Go with the new Pioneer VSX LX 505 its got Dirac already and 11.1 (granted you'll need an ext amp for the last two) and enough power for your room
And it wins on price,not much availability in the EU but I do see it for around 1000 euros at Mediamarkt in Switzerland which means that'll be the price elsewhere as mediamarkt is a big player in the EU.https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_pioneer-vsx-lx505-2129768.html

Man, they also have the Pioneer 9.1 vsx lx 305 at 859!! if these prices hold when the lineup rolls out to the rest of the EU Denon and Marantz are gonna be in trouble given that here in Germany Deonon 3800h is like 1700 euros.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 19122

Glad you got one,the new Pioneer/Onkyos seem to be the only sanely priced avrs in the EU at the moment

OP
N

nbat58

Go with the new Pioneer VSX LX 505 its got Dirac already and 11.1 (granted you'll need an ext amp for the last two) and enough power for your room
And it wins on price,not much availability in the EU but I do see it for around 1000 euros at Mediamarkt in Switzerland which means that'll be the price elsewhere as mediamarkt is a big player in the EU.https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_pioneer-vsx-lx505-2129768.html

Man, they also have the Pioneer 9.1 vsx lx 305 at 859!! if these prices hold when the lineup rolls out to the rest of the EU Denon and Marantz are gonna be in trouble given that here in Germany Deonon 3800h is like 1700 euros.
None are available yet in the UK, and buying from Switzerland or anywhere else from Europe will attract extra vat charges.

kmidst

Yea, we're about 15 years past the date of anyone being able to hear DAC chip differences on competently designed equipment.
Not saying I disbelieve you, but then why are there still threads with 50+ pages actively discussing how a unit downgraded/changed by using a different DAC chip?

OP:
The best advice I can think of is to make sure there's a consumer friendly return policy wherever you decide to order. That way you can get it and try out and swap it if you're not happy.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Not saying I disbelieve you, but then why are there still threads with 50+ pages actively discussing how a unit downgraded/changed by using a different DAC chip?

OP:
The best advice I can think of is to make sure there's a consumer friendly return policy wherever you decide to order. That way you can get it and try out and swap it if you're not happy.
You can safely ignore most of them. The ASR people are discussing engineering level stuff. For an home sound system it does not apply.

JayGilb

Major Contributor

OP:
Because they're chasing specs without doing level matched listening tests.

SynthesisCinema

Hi all,

New member here, I hope someone can help:
I currently have the Pioneer VSX-LX70 AV receiver and would like to upgrade to an Atmos AVR, I have been looking at the three below, mainly to use as an AVR and not particularly for music.

Marantz SR8015
Like: the DAC, AKM4528, the Marantz used to use a better DAC but changed to the AKM since the AKM factory fire and sound United decided to save the AKM DACs for Marantz and use a cheaper version on the Denon.
Dislike: the porter hole.

Denon AVC-X6700H
Like: the look, best value of the three.
Dislike: the new DAC used by Denon, PCM5108A x 7 as these apparently are stereo DACs, they use to use the AKM4528 but Sound United saved their inventory to use with the Mrantz.

Pioneer SC-LX904
Like: ESS9026 Pro DAC
Unsure about the class D AVR
Dislike: no DTS x pro or Auro 3D

The speakers I use are the Canton Movie CD150, 5.1 but will be upgrading these soon to 7.1.4 system.

Thank you

Try to get good black friday deal next week from the SR8015!

Pioneer`s new model LX905 is likely to be introduced next year with Dirac Live!

From Audioholics reviews of 8012 and 8015:

Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:

• HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping

The SR8015 was able to muster and impressive 101 watts/ch at 1% THD and 92 watts/ch at 0.1% THD with 7CH driven. Marantz guarantees 70% of rated 2CH driven (98 watts/ch) for up to 5 channels but this receiver clearly met that goal for 7CH driven. Impressive! This should be plenty of power for all but the largest and most demanding home theaters.

OP
N

nbat58

Try to get good black friday deal next week from the SR8015!

Pioneer`s new model LX905 is likely to be introduced next year with Dirac Live!

From Audioholics reviews of 8012 and 8015:

Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:

• HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping

The SR8015 was able to muster and impressive 101 watts/ch at 1% THD and 92 watts/ch at 0.1% THD with 7CH driven. Marantz guarantees 70% of rated 2CH driven (98 watts/ch) for up to 5 channels but this receiver clearly met that goal for 7CH driven. Impressive! This should be plenty of power for all but the largest and most demanding home theaters.
I have on some posts that some are wishing that the SR8015 did not have the HDDAM.

The only thing I dislike on the SR8015 is the port hole and the price in comparison to the 6700h., however, I know that it is built better, I think I would sway towards the SR8015 except the port hole is making me think twice and maybe go with the 6700h.

Worried about the excess heat from both though.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s a sea of sameness with AVRs and measurements. just a casual glance at the specs for the three you mention seems like you should pick the one you like with the best features. If it was me, I’d toss a coin between the Denon and Marantz hoping I get good support and resale value.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I would take the Denon over the Marantz. But no matter what, get the features you want as that is what an AVR is all about. They will all "sound" very good!

OP
N

nbat58

I would take the Denon over the Marantz. But no matter what, get the features you want as that is what an AVR is all about. They will all "sound" very good!
Why would you make that choice experience between the two makes?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Marantz has special circuitry that does not really help at all. Denon is basically the same unit without the special circuitry and is considered to be better . But again, this is nit picking. In the end, get what you want for features and you will have bought a very nice AVR.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd take either depending on the deal I got, but generally Denon is priced a bit better for similar feature set (at least in US).

OP
N

nbat58

Marantz has special circuitry that does not really help at all. Denon is basically the same unit without the special circuitry and is considered to be better . But again, this is nit picking. In the end, get what you want for features and you will have bought a very nice AVR.
Thank you, sounds like good advice.

OP
N

nbat58

I'd take either depending on the deal I got, but generally Denon is priced a bit better for similar feature set (at least in US).
Yes, it is the same here in the UK the price difference between the 8015 and the 6700 is £400 more on for the 8015.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is the same here in the UK the price difference between the 8015 and the 6700 is £400 more on for the 8015.
Then again the 8500 is closer to the 8015 from what I remember....

Top Bottom