• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which AV receiver Would you Recommend.

funnychap

Hi all,

New member here, I hope someone can help:
I currently have the Pioneer VSX-LX70 AV receiver and would like to upgrade to an Atmos AVR, I have been looking at the three below, mainly to use as an AVR and not particularly for music.

Marantz SR8015
Like: the DAC, AKM4528, the Marantz used to use a better DAC but changed to the AKM since the AKM factory fire and sound United decided to save the AKM DACs for Marantz and use a cheaper version on the Denon.
Dislike: the porter hole.

Denon AVC-X6700H
Like: the look, best value of the three.
Dislike: the new DAC used by Denon, PCM5108A x 7 as these apparently are stereo DACs, they use to use the AKM4528 but Sound United saved their inventory to use with the Mrantz.

Pioneer SC-LX904
Like: ESS9026 Pro DAC
Unsure about the class D AVR
Dislike: no DTS x pro or Auro 3D

The speakers I use are the Canton Movie CD150, 5.1 but will be upgrading these soon to 7.1.4 system.

Thank you
arcam avr21

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
arcam avr21
The new SR8015 won't have the AK4458. It will likely have the PCM5102A.

If you really think a better DAC chip is better then you would have to consider other brands, or step up to the Denon A1H.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

The first test I found. Unfortunately not in English but easy to translate nowadays.

The good news is that if you buy it directly from Primare, you can try it on at home for 30 days and send it back if you don't like it.
The most interesting element of the review is their confirmation that it can use Dirac full bandwidth.

We don't know about DLBC, but I'm inclined to say perhaps not due to subwoofer outs not being independent.

rafacq

Crutchfield has the Marantz SR7015 for $1,999 (if you are still looking).

OP
N

nbat58

Crutchfield has the Marantz SR7015 for $1,999 (if you are still looking).
I have decided on and bought the Denon 6700h, apart from the machine running hot, I an happy with the sound so far, thank you for the suggestion though, I am however, based in the UK.

funnychap

AVR21 ? Interesting. Did you ever tested it?
No, I have the Arcam AVR5 and I've only auditioned the Arcam AVR10. The higher models such as the AVR21 comes with more power and Dirac but it's still the same great ESS Sabre 9026Pro chip.

For me to upgrade from my Arcam AVR5 to something else for 2-channels music with Apple Music lossless, I would like to try an R2R dac.

I was in San Antonio and Austin this past weekend and I enjoyed the live music there.
So yesterday I ordered the Denafrips Ares II 12th generation (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre.

Hattrick

No, I have the Arcam AVR5 and I've only auditioned the Arcam AVR10. The higher models such as the AVR21 comes with more power and Dirac but it's still the same great ESS Sabre 9026Pro chip.

For me to upgrade from my Arcam AVR5 to something else for 2-channels music with Apple Music lossless, I would like to try an R2R dac.

I was in San Antonio and Austin this past weekend and I enjoyed the live music there.
So yesterday I ordered the Denafrips Ares II 12th generation (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre.
Are you going to use the Ares II with the AVR5? Curious of your findings for 2 channel stereo?

magichut

A little late to this party. The SC-LX904 uses MCACC not Accu-EQ for its room correction. It's also great at hard-hitting when needed. I use it with my Kef Q950's and Descend subwoofers. IMO I will not be changing this receiver for a very long time.

funnychap

Are you going to use the Ares II with the AVR5? Curious of your findings for 2 channel stereo?
Yes, I have the newer Denafrips Ares II 12th since April going into my Arcam AVR5 (to control volume and mode direct/stereo with subwoofer) then out to Parasound 2125 amplifier --> GoldenEars BRX speakers (has AMT ribbon tweeters).

I liked my new pair of GoldenEar BRX speakers for music so I was curious if it would improve my old center channel speaker (like how the new BRX improved the L/R speakers for movies).

Today I hooked up the BRX to the center channel...and wow. There were high notes missing with my old speaker!
So I bought a 3rd GoldenEar BRX to replace my center channel speaker.

What's amazing is that previously I bought better RCA cables/interconnects named Worlds Best Cables (mogami wire and Neutrik plugs) from Amazon but I did not hear an improvement with my old speakers.

But now I do hear an improvement with the GoldenEars BRX in the high notes, female vocalists, cymbals, bigger soundstage, and more airy.

source=Apple Music (hires lossless, and spatial audio surround music) and Denafrips Ares II 12th dac (R2R technology for 3D live/realistic sound).

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, I have the newer Denafrips Ares II 12th since April going into my Arcam AVR5 (to control volume and mode direct/stereo with subwoofer) then out to Parasound 2125 amplifier --> GoldenEars BRX speakers (has AMT ribbon tweeters).

I liked my new pair of GoldenEar BRX speakers for music so I was curious if it would improve my old center channel speaker (like how the new BRX improved the L/R speakers for movies).

Today I hooked up the BRX to the center channel...and wow. There were high notes missing with my old speaker!
So I bought a 3rd GoldenEar BRX to replace my center channel speaker.

What's amazing is that previously I bought better RCA cables/interconnects named Worlds Best Cables (mogami wire and Neutrik plugs) from Amazon but I did not hear an improvement with my old speakers.

But now I do hear an improvement with the GoldenEars BRX in the high notes, female vocalists, cymbals, bigger soundstage, and more airy.

source=Apple Music (hires lossless, and spatial audio surround music) and Denafrips Ares II 12th dac (R2R technology for 3D live/realistic sound).
It’s the speakers not the cables that make the difference.

Top Bottom