• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which AV receiver Would you Recommend.

nbat58

Hi all,

New member here, I hope someone can help:
I currently have the Pioneer VSX-LX70 AV receiver and would like to upgrade to an Atmos AVR, I have been looking at the three below, mainly to use as an AVR and not particularly for music.

Marantz SR8015
Like: the DAC, AKM4528, the Marantz used to use a better DAC but changed to the AKM since the AKM factory fire and sound United decided to save the AKM DACs for Marantz and use a cheaper version on the Denon.
Dislike: the porter hole.

Denon AVC-X6700H
Like: the look, best value of the three.
Dislike: the new DAC used by Denon, PCM5108A x 7 as these apparently are stereo DACs, they use to use the AKM4528 but Sound United saved their inventory to use with the Mrantz.

Pioneer SC-LX904
Like: ESS9026 Pro DAC
Unsure about the class D AVR
Dislike: no DTS x pro or Auro 3D

The speakers I use are the Canton Movie CD150, 5.1 but will be upgrading these soon to 7.1.4 system.

Thank you

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a legacy fashion statement. The old Marantz gear had a round porthole for display and they are apparently rehashing the look of that.
Marantz SR8015
Like: the DAC, AKM4528, the Marantz used to use a better DAC but changed to the AKM since the AKM factory fire and sound United decided to save the AKM DACs for Marantz and use a cheaper version on the Denon.
Yes, the AKM DAC ICs have better noise specs but really can you hear that?

DrStranger

Hi all,

New member here, I hope someone can help:
I currently have the Pioneer VSX-LX70 AV receiver and would like to upgrade to an Atmos AVR, I have been looking at the three below, mainly to use as an AVR and not particularly for music.

Marantz SR8015

Denon AVC-X6700H
Like: the look, best value of the three.
Dislike: the new DAC used by Denon, PCM5108A x 7 as these apparently are stereo DACs, they use to use the AKM4528 but Sound United saved their inventory to use with the Mrantz.

Pioneer SC-LX904
Like: ESS9026 Pro DAC
Unsure about the class D AVR
Dislike: no DTS x pro or Auro 3D

The speakers I use are the Canton Movie CD150, 5.1 but will be upgrading these soon to 7.1.4 system.

Thank you
Will you be adding speakers to that Canton set with aditional speakers or replace?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The Denon probably has everything you could want. If you want the Denon, go for it. It will sound very good once set up properly.

OP
N

nbat58

It's a legacy fashion statement. The old Marantz gear had a round porthole for display and they are apparently rehashing the look of that.

Yes, the AKM DAC ICs have better noise specs but really can you hear that?
Not really sure whether you can hear the difference between the DACs but the AKM diffenitely measure better than the PCM5102A, don't want to take any chances.

It is pretty difficult to get demos for AVRs with the same speakers in my set up, but I will be upgrading the speakers soon anyways.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really sure whether you can hear the difference between the DACs but the AKM diffenitely measure better than the PCM5102A, don't want to take any chances.

It is pretty difficult to get demos for AVRs with the same speakers in my set up, but I will be upgrading the speakers soon anyways.
There's not a lot of point to comparing avrs outside of their particular flavor of dsp....pick by the best feature set for your needs/wants....

OP
N

nbat58

There's not a lot of point to comparing avrs outside of their particular flavor of dsp....pick by the best feature set for your needs/wants....
Well, my heart is saying Denon 6700, my mind Marantz 8015, because of better build and the better DAC and looks awesome inside.

The Marantz is 400 more expensive here in the UK.

DrStranger

I'll probably be replacing the Canton speakers at some point.
If I googled your speakers correct they are not requiring that much power, maybe my newly discovered favorite the Onkyo NR7100 would be good and then some as well as save you some money, money you can spend o your aditional 2-4 speakers.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Well, my heart is saying Denon 6700, my mind Marantz 8015, because of better build and the better DAC and looks awesome inside.

I hate to say this but the Marantz is probably over rated. You will not hear any difference in the DACs. They may measure slightly different but it is not audible in your home set up. They will sound the same. So, get the features you want and a good warranty. The most important item after you buy your AVR is your speakers and the speaker set up. Experiment a lot with placement, toe in toe out etc. You will find that you can usually dial them in for very good sound to great sound! Do not be afraid to experiment. But if your on board room setup (Dirac?) works well that may take care of most of it. Good Luck!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The AK4458 has much better SINAD spec than the PCM5102A, but be careful though as I am pretty sure Marantz was affected by the AKM DAC IC shortage due to the factory fire too. In fact, it was confirmed right here on ASR that even the Marantz "separate", the AV8805A had to switch from the AK4490 to the ES9010K2M. If I remember right, it was also confirmed that Marantz AVRs also are using the PCM5102A. The initial rumor about "saving the AKM DACs for Marantz and use a cheaper version on the Denon" was just a rumor, probably started by some Marantz fans.

Here's some links to info related to the DAC replacement due to shortage:

The Marantz Japan cited listed the SR8015 affected:

OP
N

nbat58

If I googled your speakers correct they are not requiring that much power, maybe my newly discovered favorite the Onkyo NR7100 would be good and then some as well as save you some money, money you can spend o your aditional 2-4 speakers.
But after upgrading the speakers I will need an 11.1 AVR, the NR7100 is only 9.1 I think.

OP
N

nbat58

The DAC is the least important item to worry about.
Maybe I am looking too much into the DACs used instead of just going with the features I need.

Anyone has any info on the Pioneer SC-LX904?

hmt

Go with either the 4700h or the 3800h (when you want dirac). When you plan for a 11.1 system you dont need the 6700h and also no dts X pro. The SC LX904 has no good room EQ (accu EQ doesnt cut it).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What about the 8500 instead of 6700? Or the new A1H? I couldn't even tell you what chips my various avrs use, doesn't make any difference I can tell. Well designed guts can be attractive I suppose....doubt the builds are particularly different in quality, tho.

OP
N

nbat58

What about the 8500 instead of 6700? Or the new A1H? I couldn't even tell you what chips my various avrs use, doesn't make any difference I can tell. Well designed guts can be attractive I suppose....doubt the builds are particularly different in quality, tho.
The 8500 looks good but it is a very big box, if I go with the 8500 I'll have to also change the TV stand.

Top Bottom