• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which ASR member would you most want to meet in person, and why? (fun Christmas thread...hopefully...)

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I'd like to meet @John_Siau. He really knows his stuff, but I want to prove to him in person that intersample overs going well above +3dBFS not only exist, but are pretty common in my music collection. The 3 dB of headroom on Benchmark's DAC3 needs to be at least 5 dB higher, because yes, I have a few files that go an entire bit higher (> +6 dBFS), and yes, they are lossless.

Also because Benchmark is really cool and I'd love to work with you guys, so pls notice me sempai

We've written a tool that does a variety of analysis on a clip (of most any length over a few seconds). I've now seen some isp's up to +6 in commercial recordings. :eek:
Yes, I am appalled.

Furthermore, some of those ISP's make some DAC's go completely wonky.

jipihorn

@jipihorn
This dude has done so much for the French community in terms of audio scientific popularization.
It's largely thanks to him that I'm passionate about audio!
I would love to meet him one day to discuss with him and to listen to his horns speakers.

Hello everybody,

I'm very pleased (and surprised) to be mentioned here...
To my dismay, I have so little time to make all what I would like to do on the subject. I've been avoiding audio forums for a long time because of the time these waste and the overall low level of science and reason. The site is an exception, discovered from the TotalDac article. Probably the best successor of the defunct "the audio critic" !
By the way, about this old magazine, all the issues are available from the historical host website. Check it out !
Thanks for the citation, I'm not writing here because I've very little to add to the content !

J.

Last edited:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Nearby
@Frank Dernie to ogle his (numerous) Hi-Fi systems, talk about record players, F1 and his favourite Spice Girl.
Other side of the planet
@restorer-john to see his warehouse full of awesome Sony and Pioneer etc and to get him to fix my Technics CD player.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Which Technics CD player ?

I used to work for the Dutch Technics/Panasonic service center (about 30 years ago) A-V repair.
It was up to the time when Technics started ditching their awesome FF1 SOAD70A mechanisms and started using the Philips CDM4 mechanisms instead.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
So, who would you like to meet in person, chew the fat with and have a few beers/wines?

Audiocrusader and maty.

I picture Audiocrusader as this never smiling dude in a full suit of armor constantly swinging a sword at you for no apparent reason, and maty as an audiophile version af Salvador Dali looking at you bug-eyed and poking you with his outrageous mustasch while loudly expressing the importance of phase shift and emotions.

I would like to have a beer with those two, just to see them as normal human beings :)

There's also an endless list of people I'd like to meet because of the huge amount of experience they have to share.

I wouldn't even know where to begin :D

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Which Technics CD player ?

I used to work for the Dutch Technics/Panasonic service center (about 30 years ago) A-V repair.
It was up to the time when Technics started ditching their awesome FF1 SOAD70A mechanisms and started using the Philips CDM4 mechanisms instead.
SL-PJ1. Sometimes has trouble reading discs, on initial entry and when skipping through tracks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's really an old one. (1985 I believe)
Did not see it much but looks a lot like the P2 and P3 from the same period.

Cleaning of the lens may help.
Problems (skipping, hanging) were often related to the slide motor, the belt to the wormwheel and greasing the sliding rods. (they had special grease for this)
Little to no problems with the direct drive brushless spindle motor.
Lasers were rarely replaced but were finicky to adjust and were not as good in keeping the laser properly tracked as the later versions.
By the time I changed jobs I never saw CDP from that era and that was already long ago.
Getting(good) parts for it will be difficult.
I don't have anything in my part box for these CDP's alas

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'd like to meet most people who post regularly.

One person who I wish would come back around is @andreasmaaan.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So, who would you like to meet in person, chew the fat with and have a few beers/wines? It's not a popularity contest and if everyone says "Amir" I will actually vomit. And no, I don't want to meet all you clowns either.
Why are you asking the question that this thread was about in the first place and then not even include someone you'd like to meet.
I'm a bit confused here but you seem to have make a strange start for your very first post on ASR???

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, who would you like to meet in person, chew the fat with and have a few beers/wines? It's not a popularity contest and if everyone says "Amir" I will actually vomit. And no, I don't want to meet all you clowns either.
You are back already???

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@phoenixdogfan - We first started talking on Reddit, where he was an anomaly: an older audiophile (with a wicked sense of humour, both on politics and audio) that had a state-of-the-art setup, both analog and digital, but nonetheless challenged his own biases and changed his setup according to rational principles over time. Also very welcoming to newer enthusiasts and willing to share his knowledge + experience.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's one or two here I'd like to catch up with in person.
I can't say who or why though, as the meeting might have legal implications.
1v1b4b.jpg

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Members that live in the Netherlands. If possible Noord Holland.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, as I am a fan of DSP plus my goal is to design a "Rock and Roll" audiophile sound system(Like Mitch's) and also the fact that I use Audiolense it would be great meet Mitchco, I am an avid reader of his articles. Dallasjustice is also kind of into the same things and I know enough about his flanking sub technique so he would also be top of my list.

There are a few others who should also get an honourable mention for being top blocks and always answering threads and in particular my threads. They know who they are, and have helped out a lot. It would also be great to catch up with them one day.

Actually, I will be visiting Sydney, Australia very soon(be there Jan Feb) and have tried contacting a couple audiophiles who have an open invitation to their sound systems on their websites but unfortunately no reply with email. I am presuming their either out of business or retired to some extent. Point being, if any one is keen to chat and show off their sound system please let me know. Unfortunately, my system is not in Australia so it won't be reciprocal.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can be interesting, depends on how drunk you are ..

Iv always been up for a ASR UK or European get-together. @watchnerd has threatened a pub crawl in Dublin next year , easy to fly to maybe that could actually happen and a few of us could go. Maybe @Ciunas Audio1 could come and we could all end the night drunk soldering together.

I would definitely come for one if it happens.

Top Bottom